Sponsored by:

Wich X-type?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 11:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wich X-type?

Hi everyone.

I just joined this forum.

I am planning on buying a X-type with manual transmission.

Which model year, engine, options, model year, etc. model would you recommend?

I am mostly interested in getting a vehicle I can use in winter - I live in NNJ
but also love spirited driving and responsive handling on the dry (my other car is a Mazda Rx7...).

On this regard, the Sport package sounds nice but it may not be easy finding a vehicle originally equipped with it. Alternatively, which after-market shocks/springs would you recommend?

Thanks in advance for your advices.

- Sandro

Old 04-18-2010, 07:20 AM

I'm a new X-Type owner (love it so far!). I have the 3.0 AWD and it is a beautiful performer...what I would expect, smooth, powerful, great sound.

You may not think it's important, but I found myself really wanting the bluetooth module, ACM, and Nav system. Upgrading is extremely expensive, so waiting for one that has at least 2 of those is well worth it.

Good luck!

Old 04-18-2010, 08:42 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Sandro, you need to decide what is more important to you. What I mean by this is that the older X-Types don't have all the bells and whistles like the new ones do, but the transfer case from the 02-03's is different than the 04+ vehicles. The 02-03 cars have more of an AWD feel to them and appear to distribute the power a bit more evenly between the wheels where the 04+ vehicles are more of a RWD vehicle that will add some power to the front. So, like I said, what is more important to you.

As for the spirited driving, you may want to reconsider the X-Type. I don't want to steer you away from the car, but it does have a weak link which happens to be the transfer case. This is true of all years (while the newer ones seem to not have as bad of a problem). The transfer case we have discovered is under engineered and tends to flex a lot leading to failure of the transfer case (case actually cracks, all fluid leaks out and due to the flexing, stuff gets overly stressed). If you are after something sporty, I would be looking at either the S-Type or the XJ8. While both of these are not AWD, I think you will find them more than capable for street driving.

If you are thinking about upgrading the engine to get more power, I wish you luck. Not many aftermarket things for the car. So, most modifications are 1 off things. Also, like was mentioned, the transfer case is not the strongest and adding more power is only going to aggravate the situation.

I would also recommend looking at the 3.0L engine vice the 2.5L engine. While the 2.5L engine is no slouch, it needs to be rev'ed to really get the power out of the car. The 3.0L engine (which is what I have) will pull hard from idle to red line. The mileage difference between the two is insignificant (normally about 1 MPG difference).

As for the sport edition car, it is nice to get it if you can find it, but the only "sport" upgrades that are included with the car are 1.4" lowering springs on the 4 corners (this is a $200 upgrade if you get a standard X-Type). The rest of the "sport" upgrades are color matched grille/trunk lid cover and corner trim pieces and a slightly different interior color (dark gray wood vice the brown stain).

If you need more info, let me know. I will attempt to give you an unbiased opinion for anything you are in doubt on. The X-Type is a good car if treated fairly. You abuse it and it will abuse your wallet.

Old 04-18-2010, 09:02 PM

I thank you very much for your advices.

Very useful and relevant information.

From what I have seen in the market over the last few days, it looks like most of the offering is about automatic models.

The 3.0 L manual seem rare, while there are a few 2.5 L offered with not excessive mileage. I have read the other thread on the forum about the 2.5 v. 3.0 debate. While clearly the 3.0 would be preferable, it appears easier finding a good 2.5 L instead. I am OK with that.

Thanks again and I will keep you posted.

- Sandro

Old 04-18-2010, 09:29 PM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Oi.... These threads are getting old.

Seriously- go drive a few of them yourself and make up your own damn mind what options you need. If you're looking for a winter beater, try out a 2.5, if you decide you need more power for those "spirited drives," go check out a 3.0. As for the sports package, the only thing you get over the standard car are a few cosmetic changes and a slightly stiffer suspension. If you are planning on swapping your shocks/springs anyways, dont bother with the sport package (unless you cant live without a body colored grille and moldings vs chrome ones).

You can ask 100 different people their opinion on which X Type is best and you'll get 100 different answers..... As evidenced by the other 2.5 vs 3.0 thread going on right now. The only thing you can do is research as much as you can and GO DRIVE THEM so you can make up your own mind.

Old 04-19-2010, 11:05 AM
Default Done!

2004 2.5 L manual racing green - could not resist... (had a Triumph Spitfire with the same color many many years ago...)

56K mi --- bought it from TexasDirect

Tried to attach pics but for some reason the "manage attachment" window doesn't show on my screen... may be I have not permission yet...

Anyhow, this is the URL http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2004-...bb600aba#v4-38

- Sandro

Old 04-19-2010, 07:23 PM
Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Boooooh Yeah!

Congrats! She looks bootyfull! Now go and get yourself a Mesh Grill upgrade and some 17 or 18"rims.

And good luck trying to wipe that s#!t-eating grin off your face for the next month or so.

(p.s. don't mind that other guy's tone - he's just pissed because UFOs keep snacking on his cows)

Last edited by MeatBag; 04-19-2010 at 07:27 PM.