X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Bumper Lower Valance Change

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 08:29 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Rear Bumper Lower Valance Change

I want to replace my rear bumper lower valance with parking sensors with the one without parking sensors. Will I need to replace the whole bumper cover or it will fit in my original bumper. The rear valance without parking sensors is much sportier. 2.5l Auto 2002 X Type.

Old 04-06-2010, 11:00 AM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Good choice I agree, the parking sensors ruin the back of the car. They look interchangeable... Can anybody confirm?

Old 04-06-2010, 01:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 173 Posts

on the other hand, i like the parking sensors at the back because then that plastic piece has a purpose on the back of our cars. without the parking sensors there is just a random piece of plastic that looks like crappy build quality on jaguars part. just my opinion.

but if you want a really sporty rear bumper, how about going for the oem rear apron? You can purchase it from mina much cheaper than from jaguar.

Old 04-06-2010, 01:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 115 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaggyx
on the other hand, i like the parking sensors at the back because then that plastic piece has a purpose on the back of our cars. without the parking sensors there is just a random piece of plastic that looks like crappy build quality on jaguars part. just my opinion.

but if you want a really sporty rear bumper, how about going for the oem rear apron? You can purchase it from mina much cheaper than from jaguar.
Respectfully disagree on most points (unless the car is black).

The best for me would be non-parking sensor unit, sanded smooth and painted to match. I actually use my parking sensors to park though, so despite the annoyance of false alarms, I will keep mine.

Old 04-06-2010, 04:33 PM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Im doing mine in a nice clean flat black for now (why they made them gray I will never understand). I have a buddy in LA who does custom carbon fiber aero, I'm going to have him wrap mine in CF later on down the line. I like the contrast it gives, the sport package rear apron is gross if you ask me. Those exhaust cutouts are busch league.

Old 04-07-2010, 12:02 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by exexpat
Respectfully disagree on most points (unless the car is black).

The best for me would be non-parking sensor unit, sanded smooth and painted to match. I actually use my parking sensors to park though, so despite the annoyance of false alarms, I will keep mine.
yes I agree the sanded and painted would be the best option, BUT I am just saying in my opinion the parking sensor rear valence doesn't look bad or make the rear end ugly.

In fact I think a painted and sanded version of the parking sensor valence would look sweet on the x type. Therefore we will have the best of both world; Sensors and looks.

Last edited by Jaggyx; 04-07-2010 at 12:05 AM.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:50 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jaggyx
yes I agree the sanded and painted would be the best option, BUT I am just saying in my opinion the parking sensor rear valence doesn't look bad or make the rear end ugly.

In fact I think a painted and sanded version of the parking sensor valence would look sweet on the x type. Therefore we will have the best of both world; Sensors and looks.
Painting it would accentuate the sensors more. The black mutes them.

ok, I'll stop arguing. it actually comes down to personal preference. there is no right and wrong in these things.

Old 04-07-2010, 02:03 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I had my rear apron made smooth and painted flat black when i had to have it modded for my exhaust cut-outs. i have pics posted somewhere but cant find the post right now. I beleive the non-parking sensor apron will be able to be put in place of the one with parking sensors w/o any modification. Just connects to the bumper cover which i believe is the same for both (may be different if someone can confirm).

Old 04-07-2010, 06:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

I'd be pleased to get rid of the sensors and go with the smooth option. For now I have been using Mothers Back to Black on the grey plastic and it does sharpen it up and it looks darker and somewhat less cheap.

Old 04-07-2010, 02:08 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by The Chris X
I'd be pleased to get rid of the sensors and go with the smooth option. For now I have been using Mothers Back to Black on the grey plastic and it does sharpen it up and it looks darker and somewhat less cheap.
After about the third or fourth application of Meg's Endurance, it just stays black. You need to be persistent though. The nice thing about this piece is that if dressing drips off, it doesn't roll down any paint.

Old 04-07-2010, 06:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

[quote=exexpat;192603]Painting it would accentuate the sensors more. The black mutes them.

That's the problem I have. Mine is painted to match (platinum), which by the way was a bit of a challenge because we left the slight texture, and now I have these black "spots". I'm still looking for Jag or Ford silver sensors that I could replace them with without having to cash in my kids' college funds to do it.

Old 04-08-2010, 06:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by exexpat
After about the third or fourth application of Meg's Endurance, it just stays black. You need to be persistent though. The nice thing about this piece is that if dressing drips off, it doesn't roll down any paint.
I noticed I really had to rub it in the first time I applied it, then kinda buff it so there were not any swirls or smear marks. Did a second coat and it's holding up well. Not too greasy.

But I'll try some Meg's too, I have about 10 miles of molding and bumpers to do on my Rover, so I'll be looking to get more very soon, thanks for the tip.

Old 04-08-2010, 10:48 AM
Veteran Member

I have always just used armor all on the valence, last about a month before it starts to dull up again.

Old 04-19-2010, 09:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just did the parking sensor equipped lower valence for the non parking sensor lower valence swap on my X-Type Sport. It is a painless process that takes all of about 10 minutes and is a direct swap and no other modification is needed. Looks a lot cleaner too!

Old 04-19-2010, 08:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

Stunna, now you can sell the sensors on eBay for a zillion dollars each. Did you disable the rear park assist or was it already not working?