Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wifes X type

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2018, 11:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts
Default Wifes X type

Well, the Audi A6 is gone to daughter / SIL and now the wife is in Connor's X type as he's moved on.
This was Connor's thread below about the car as bought and changes made etc...

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...k-done-141253/

Since then.....

06.01.18 - I was in the X type a week or so ago whilst my car was in being repaired, always a good chance to get a wee snap shot of what's going on with it.
I could not believe that the screenwash icon wasn't lit up on the dash advising it was bone dry, as usual, something amiss here I thought lol

That said I drove it a few miles here n there on some errands and thought to myself, that window wiper slap isn't good AND they're not clearing very well either

Next day we're out and about, I insist she drive, it's her car after all, let's pay a little visit to Halfords before we go where we're going.
We get there and I advise she needs new blades, so get them and get them fitted, so we drive off.............

Wow she says, they're sooo quiet ( no slapping on each wipe ) AND wowwww look how good they clear the screen!!!

I literally slap my head, laugh and say that one of the prime requirements for driving is being able to see......DUHH and she slaps my head too!

Looks like we have a reverse parking sensor that needs attention. As I may have mentioned before there is a little rust showing on base of drivers door, so that'll need attention in the next few months once the weather gets a little better.

Other than that, all good

21.01.18 - Well Mrs C has been working hard of late, a 3 day week on nightshift, with a few extra days thrown in plus the 2 granddaughters Monday and Tuesday.
Suffice to say she's feeling a little tired and funnily enough the X type is too.

I thought as a treat I'd take her and get her washed, cleaned inside n out, then topped up the screenwash which emptied the spare, so off to buy another 5 litres and fill up with fuel whilst I'm at it.

Needless to say I'm in the good books

That was until I reminded her she had to take the car in on Wednesday ( I don't have time ) for the rear parking sensor, get the fuel filler cap looked at again and also perhaps check the pollen filter / replace. The windows were a little steamier for a little longer than I would've liked. Hopefully all resolved on Wednesday......

07.03.18 - Well it was time spent with the X type today......

I had cause to have a wee run in her a week or so ago and thought, WTH is that racket?
A wheel bearing I thought to myself!

On top of this, the fuel filler cap cable has been giving trouble, lubed and released several times but always paying up again soon after, so that needed attention.

She went in to Prestige today and the rear wheel bearing was done along with the cable for the fuel cap, still a little noisy though.
Checked and the other one was on its way out too, so that was done as well

Now a lot quieter if a little lighter in the rear ( back pocket ) lol
Jim

Old 03-08-2018, 02:51 AM
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

Hi Jim what mileage has the Xtype done to need rear wheel bearings.
Regards.

Old 03-08-2018, 03:03 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DUNKS
Hi Jim what mileage has the Xtype done to need rear wheel bearings.
Regards.

Hi Dunks, it's done around 80k miles

It's probably there or thereabouts, I've had or known of cars that have needed them earlier. That said I've had or known of cars, my Audi A6 being one that are still on original wheel bearings at 150k

Jim

Old 05-22-2018, 07:03 PM
Veteran Member

Well a productive morning today, just back from having service items done on the X type....

National tyres completed the oil and filter change, fitted the air filter and fuel filter I supplied all A ok at 78,823 miles

I bought a bottle of Redex fuel treatment for diesels and ran that through on the motorway on the way home, she had a 20 min drive at reasonably high revs all helping to clear things out nicely

I fuelled the car as she was on empty as usual, topped up screenwash ( the dash light wasn't on ) and checked all other levels all A ok

The tyres checked out at around 3.5mm - 4mm and generally in good order, but they'll be the next thing to get changed, sooner rather than later.

Hoping to get the wheels off shortly and have the hubs / calipers repainted to freshen them up, wheels cleaned thoroughly at the same time. The wheels that WERE as new are sadly no longer so, slight scuffs / scrapes here there, I can never understand why she just doesn't avoid the ****** kerbs

Other than that she seems all good at the moment.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Today

Well it's D day for the X type tomorrow...

She's in for remedial work to the little patches of rust on the drivers lower door, possibly from a poor previous repair. There's also a couple of rust spots around the chrome bootlid finisher being attended too at the same time.

Jim

Old 05-23-2018, 10:55 AM
Received 149 Likes on 138 Posts

I have to laugh, Jim! EVERY time my dear wife takes the Jag out, she'll either kerb a rim, or bend one.

Every time!

The following users liked this post:
JimC64 (05-23-2018)
Old 05-23-2018, 06:18 PM
Veteran Member

Well it was D day for the X type yesterday...

She's in for remedial work to the little patches of rust on the drivers lower door, possibly from a poor previous repair. There's also a couple of rust spots around the chrome bootlid finisher being attended too at the same time.

Hope to collect her end of play today.....

She still needs new tyres although not desperately so. I want to claybar her and she needs some time with the DA and swirl remover, PB Blackhole and topped with wax, hubs and calipers are still begging too.

Jim

Old 05-31-2018, 07:38 PM
Veteran Member

The X type was treated to it's new rubber today, Avon ZV7's were fitted as I may have mentioned earlier...

They're a good looking tyre, A rated for wet grip, C for fuel efficiency and 70db noise rated.....the car is immediately noticeably quieter than the worn Barums they replace

The hubs and calipers are receiving attention tomorrow, stock silver on the hubs of course (using Hammerite smooth silver ) and Red for the calipers ( Hammerite smooth Red ) should make a difference to the appearance

Friday....who knows, I may be in for a quick trip to Leicester and back north ASAP, just had word my aunt's MIL who is 94 has been having trouble with her bowel and admitted to hospital, diagnosed with cancer of the uterus / stomach and bowel I'm afraid.
She has a DNR (Do Not Resuscitate ) in place and they've said there's nothing they can do but make her comfortable in her remaining time, so may have a few trips to the hospital back n forth over the coming days.

Saturday will be car cleaning time for both vehicles, hope to clay bar, wash and dry, and treat them to a layer of PB Blackhole too, all being well.

Peter has said he will take Tress to collect the F Type as time is so short, then grab a few hours sleep and early doors Sunday and the meet will be upon us

Yesterday.....
The X type had it's hubs and calipers started today, hopefully finished later....

As I'm so busy at the moment, my son Peter was good enough to help and started this project this morning, got two done and then called away on family business.
He'll be back early afternoon to complete the other two.

NOTE - For those with a nervous disposition, please look away, Read No Further. There will be partial images of a filthy car AND damaged / kerbed alloys....you have been warned!!

A simple going over with Hammerite smooth silver on the hubs for a stock look and Hammerite smooth red for the calipers
Here's the front before....

Front after...

Rear before...

Rear after...

He's actually cleaned the wheels throughout too, but the fronts have the dirt ingrained unfortunately. I'll have a go at them later with some Sonax FULL EFFECT and see how that goes, hopefully improve somewhat.

The new Avon tyres with full tread look great too

Only needs a full wash / clay bar / interior cleaned and PB Blackhole treatment in the interim until the DA is broken out and a few hours spent removing swirl marks

Once again, sincere apologies to any viewers upset by the damaged alloys, hopefully no offence was caused in the reading of this post.

Today....
Had a call about the used Barum Bravuris 3HM that came off the car, they have around 3.5mm on them in decent nick, no kerbs / punctures etc

I advertised them for £60 the set on Gumtree yesterday and had a call earlier today about them, a guy wants them and will call down around 10pm after work to pay and collect them!

Happy days, this means that the new Avons that cost £300.60 ( quite a significant saving of £84.96 over the comparable Continentals with the same ratings )

Minus the £60.00 for get you going tyres ( as taken off the vehicle with 3.5mm tread ) means a total cost of £240.60

Mrs C will be pleased

Jim

Old 06-12-2018, 12:57 PM
Veteran Member

The last month or so have been busy and a few things done on the X type

Fully serviced with oil / filter change, air filter and fuel filter done too
Hubs and calipers painted all round
Full new set of Avons on the car as well.

She still shines up well and looks good, from a distance, not so much close up in the sun, quite heavily swirl marked and in need of attention, see below....

I hope to be able to de tar and clay bar her soon, the get the DA out as soon as time allows and I'll break out the DA and try some Autofinesse #2 Polish followed by Autofinesse #3 Refine to hopefully see even better results.

Assuming all goes according to plan, once that step is finished, I'll add a coat of Poorboys Blackhole which should really make it pop and then top off with Chemical guys BLACK wax, specifically designed to bring out the best in black cars, should be much better.

In the meantime I'll be driving around with a stripey bootlid lol

Jim

Old 06-12-2018, 12:57 PM
Veteran Member

Well, out in the X type again today and just feel that the brakes aren't quite what they should be, a couple of slight rattles too....

My car is booked with Prestige for Thursday, but can't get in due to issues with the car ( currently still at the dealership ) so....

I've swapped and intend to take the X type in on Thursday for a quick health check, front pads at least done probably, check over suspension bushes and springs etc, anything pops up she'll get what she needs.

Here's hoping it's not much lol

Jim

Old 06-12-2018, 05:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 708 Likes on 633 Posts

I worked on my kitty Saturday for 6 hours. Stripped (you have to use Dawn dish soap, only thing that will strip) the NuFinish I put on last year. Man that stuff is tough to remove and the downside is EVERY feaking ding, rock chip in paint turns white.
Then I used a new product called Clayzilla to clay bar it. Gotta say, I loved this product. It will do many multiples of car(s) & costs about the same as a clay bar. The advantage is the pad Velcro(s) onto an ergonomic handle (comes with solution) to make claying the car way easy. Felt like a baby's butt when finished with the exception of the front bumper. Better but still dinged up.
Followed with swirl remover using a Random Orbit Buffer. That crap is HARD to get off, but worked wonders on the swirl marks.
Lastly, a coat of Mother's carnuba wax. Blacked the trim with back to black restorer, cleaned and black gelled the tiger paws.
It looked wonderful for 1/2 a day, next morning I seen the lawn sprinkler overspray all over the hood with those nice hard water spots, smh. Oh well, thank goodness for ONR w/wax. Fast touch up when needed.

JimC64 (06-12-2018)
Old 06-12-2018, 07:19 PM
Veteran Member

Great news earlier this evening....

I was walking around the X type ready to drive to the Jaguar dealer when I spotted the passenger side front wing, a dent!

I checked further and looks like all the world that someone has punched it ( If I didn't know better )
NOT HAPPY!

God forbid i should find out anyone's been messing with our cars, it won't go down well I assure you.
I called Keith, our PDR (Paintless Dent removal ) guy and he's calling out to fix it Friday morning all being well, that'll be another £50 thanks very much.

Jim

Old 06-13-2018, 09:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by Dell Gailey
I worked on my kitty Saturday for 6 hours. Stripped (you have to use Dawn dish soap, only thing that will strip) the NuFinish I put on last year. Man that stuff is tough to remove and the downside is EVERY feaking ding, rock chip in paint turns white.
Then I used a new product called Clayzilla to clay bar it. Gotta say, I loved this product. It will do many multiples of car(s) & costs about the same as a clay bar. The advantage is the pad Velcro(s) onto an ergonomic handle (comes with solution) to make claying the car way easy. Felt like a baby's butt when finished with the exception of the front bumper. Better but still dinged up.
Followed with swirl remover using a Random Orbit Buffer. That crap is HARD to get off, but worked wonders on the swirl marks.
Lastly, a coat of Mother's carnuba wax. Blacked the trim with back to black restorer, cleaned and black gelled the tiger paws.
It looked wonderful for 1/2 a day, next morning I seen the lawn sprinkler overspray all over the hood with those nice hard water spots, smh. Oh well, thank goodness for ONR w/wax. Fast touch up when needed.
I recently bought a foam piece you hold in your hand with a synthetic gray pad at the end. It is about 3"-4" in diameter. It is supposed to be a synthetic clay. Thought I would give it a try and it actually works pretty well. Not quite as good as actual clay, but if your finish isn't very neglected it works well and is way faster to use. You use it the same way as clay with constant water or like a detailing spray to keep it lubed. I can't remember the manufactuer.

Old 06-14-2018, 11:28 AM
Veteran Member

Had the car in for quick check over at Prestige this morning and they find as follows....

A couple of the rear suspension bushes are looking a little tired and the car would benefit from replacements, so will be booked in for a couple of weeks time.

The front pads and discs?
Pads look fine, reasonable amount of meat left on them, discs look a little glazed, possibly ok for now but again could benefit from a change at some point.

Big plus point - I also managed to get that damn squeaky clutch pedal fixed too, a little grease on the return spring, all good

For these I've checked with Carparts4less and can have Pagid front discs and pads for £74.94 and my SIL will do them for me, so a real no brainer from my point of view, especially with M.o.t coming up in a few months time.
Sills look all A ok and everything else in decent shape

Jim

Old 06-15-2018, 04:46 AM
Veteran Member

I'm unsure if I mentioned it or not, but I was out a few days ago and noticed the X type and thought WTF?

On the front n/s wing, at the top above the crease line and around a foot away from the leading edge of the front door, there was a fairly large DENT. To put it into perspective I'd say it was the size of a small childs fist, certainly not there as recently as a few days ago, to say I was gutted was an understatement..

There were no scratches, no paint transfer etc, it looked too high up to be a door / trolley ding etc anyway, wondering if it was malicious damage?
The only saving grace was that the paintwork hadn't been broken.

I looked out my contacts list and hunted for Keith my PDR (Paintless dent removal ) guy and still had his number so called him, he arranged to call out this morning.

Keith and I first met some 10 years or more ago, my car was at Stirling Audi and had a dent in the paintwork that wasn't caused by me, I had it out with Stirling Audi and they called out their guy to fix it, what an amazing job he done too, like it never happened
I had cause to use him some 5 or 6 years ago for some damage to the VW Passat, similar to the X type and again, what a fantastic job he did. You simply have to keep contacts / numbers for guys like these, worth their weight in gold.

I never took any pictures unfortunately, but please take my word for it, the dent was fairly large and not in the most accessible of areas.
Keith arrived and brought out his box of tricks.....

This consists of various long and short handled levers with angles on them and some flat faces at the end, a small hammer and various punches etc. He also had a suction fitment with a light source to shine on the damage to clearly see what he was doing.

He spent a few minutes and the damage disappeared around 90% to the naked eye.
The next 15 minutes or so were fettling to get some of the smaller bits sorted and then out comes the hammer and the punch and he's actually *very lightly* punching the paintwork, at this point the damage is "GONE" as far as I can tell.

His eye and many years of experience tell him different and there's another 5 minutes or so of fine tuning his efforts, then a quick polish to remove traces of work done.

At this point I tilt my head in various positions capturing various light sources and angles etc.....The wing was AS NEW, I'd defy anyone to be able to actually say there was damage there at any point.
Jeez the damage location, size etc is burned into my brain and I have no idea it was there, only a rough memory of the location.

With 20+ years experience guys like Keith are legends to me, amazing what they can achieve

£50 lighter and he's on his way, job done, all good

Jim

Old 06-15-2018, 03:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 126 Likes on 114 Posts

$50 well spent id say!!!

JimC64 (06-15-2018)
Old 06-15-2018, 07:19 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by iownme
$50 well spent id say!!!

Totally iownme

That said if some numpty hadn't been messing around or someone hadn't caused malicious damage I'd be £50 better off.....done now though

Hoping to have time & weather to wash / claybar / wash / dry and start machine polishing tomorrow all being well

Jim

Old 06-18-2018, 07:02 PM
Veteran Member

These arrived today, next job on the X Type, next week or so...

I'm a fan of Pagid, as used by my Indy on my Audi A6 and also by my Jag Indy on my XJ

I had cause to test their 25 month / 25k mile warranty a few years ago and they were not left wanting, really stepped up to the plate AND it turned out not to be their product at fault, can't fault their pricing / products or services

Jim

Old 06-18-2018, 09:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 708 Likes on 633 Posts

Well, wouldn't work for me, I drive more than 1 mile per month, lmao!! :-) :-)

Old 06-23-2018, 12:12 PM
Veteran Member

I did some prep work on the X type yesterday and had in mind ( weather dependent ) to get stuck into the paintwork today....

The weather played ball, although perhaps a little too sunny / hot so got moving and set about lifting the paintwork on her. She was actually quite heavily swirled up and badly needed it I guess, but after some 7 hours or so, a definite improvement...

Here's the before showing the extent of the swirl marks with a 50/50 shot

Here's a few afters...

Here's a small pic of the flake popping in the sun...

In an ideal world, I would've liked to have done the X351

But, next week she'll be doing a few miles AND will be in a very large deep hole in Middle England, Buxton to be precise.

Assuming the weather holds, she'll be battered by wind /dust everywhere, so makes sense to wait
Hopefully in the next week or so....

Meantime, at least the X type is done, she's going in on Wednesday for a few rear bushes and then that should be her till M.o.t time in a few months.

Jim

Old 10-11-2018, 07:38 PM
Veteran Member

I washed my XJ last Sunday around lunchtime and then found myself doing the X type too, couldn't help myself!
There was a massive bonus though ( I swear it's true ) the fuel gauge read FULL....I did a proper double take and checked twice. All other fluids A ok, even screen wash. The tyres were all low, presumably from the tyre fitters as Mrs C wouldn't have checked or changed them, they were sitting at 28, now at 34 all round

Hmmmm the handbrake lever is a little loose, as in plenty of travel before even the slightest hint of a click >>>>Sigh!!
I've asked / told her a million times, please let me know of any issues as you drive the car every day, I don't ….oh well

A quick inspection reveals that the rear pads look quite low and need changing. A short while later after a visit to Carparts4less a set of Pagid winging their way here for less than £20, can't grumble at that.
With everything else done the last few months, having the rear brakes done and a few quick checks done today, she needs to be M.O.T'd
It's due 6th November so I called Brian and asked him to book it in for the 22nd October, so all booked in for then

The Pagid rear pads I ordered a few days ago arrived yesterday and today managed to get them fitted.
I was sure that the rear pads were lowish, as far as I could see and just went ahead and ordered them anyway around £18.50 delivered from Carparts4less!!

It turns out the discs look ok and there's plenty of meat left on the pads, played around with the adjuster and got a really decent handbrake, much improved, so buttoned everything back up and left it at that.
Around 10 days or so till the M.o.t and we'll see how she does then
Here's hoping she gives a good showing and comes back with a Pass

Jim

Quick Reply: Wifes X type