X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wifes X type

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2019, 06:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

The X type is coming up for service end of April, but why not get er done early I thought to myself?

To that end I just bought the air filter, fuel filter and pollen filter from Eurocarparts ( nice little 55% discount at the moment ) and so cheap as chips. I reserved them at my local branch and will pick up in the morning and get these done. The oil / filter will be next but unsure if I'll get that done tomorrow, but soon....

I need to check but she's sitting around 85k miles and running with no issues ( that said I'll find out more tomorrow )
Mrs C isn't the best at identifying potential issues / problems and or bringing them to my attention
I'm thinking about the EGR valve and whether to remove and clean, it's a perhaps job and would be good to do for sure, but again probably not tomorrow but near in the future.

If all goes well, I'll have a poke around and may detail the engine bay to better spot any problems / issues with leaks etc, also, a nice clean engine bay is just nice to look at
Hopefully a quick wash n clean session to give her a lift too, all being well.

The next planned jobs will be, double checking door seals and mirror housings due to a little wind noise, I may elect to fit another seal as per the earlier posted videos to help with this if necessary.
The suspension is starting to age and a few items will need attention in the coming months, need to get underneath and get it checked out and she'll get what she needs, it makes sense as she just runs and runs with no troubles to speak of......he says looking over his shoulder and touching wood lol

I just stayed up last night ( loads to do ) and met Mrs C as she came in the door at 7.30am this morning, a wee cup of coffee and a chat and then of to Eurocarparts to collect the parts

Arrived back and the air filter, pollen filter and fuel filter done, then the car cleaned inside n out, wheels done etc and looking pretty good I have to say, as long as you can look past the wheels and the odd scratch etc here n there. The engine bay was treated to a going over too and looked all the better for it.....Redex added to half tank of fuel.
After that was done it was off to see my mate at National Tyres for a wee cheeky oil change, service all completed and looking her best in the sunsh……...Oooops, here comes the rain lol
Superb!!

Anyhow, good to spend time with the ole girl today and renew acquaintances, after all was sad n done she seemed in fine fettle, pulling like a train and eager to please
I used the full rev range over the course of the day and any cobwebs that may have been there were well n truly blown away
Until we meet again lol

Please see below a few short videos, these are of a time when I did something similar with my XJ X358 to reduce cabin noise

I added extra add on door seal. The videos show how easily the piece of A4 paper can be removed prior to the extra seal, little to no effort was required. After adding the seal you can quite clearly see the amount of effort required to overcome the seal / grip and the paper in fact tears before it will budge.
This will be my first step….

Pre door seal fitted

Door seal in place

After door seal fitted

The scenario was the same, A4 paper removed easily prior to installation and would rip / fail before coming out afterwards. The screenwash was topped up ( empty AGAIN ) and Redex fuel treatment added whilst also filling the empty tank ( AGAIN )
I took her for a wee run afterwards, same roads, same speeds etc and db levels coming back at 75db max with an average of 68db, so an improvement of sorts that I *thought" I could hear, but the acid test will be Mrs C's ears of course.

As it happens I told her what I'd done and asked her to check on the next few journeys and let me know, she called on way to work and said that she noticed a definite difference and was really pleased, so that's half the battle I suppose.
More to follow...

Couldn't write the script, could you?
Parcel arrived today, of course yesterday would've just been hunky dory as I had the time and could've had this installed...…

Had a spare few hours today so thought I'd tackle this job on the X type...

First job, empty the boot of "stuff"
Lots and lots of god knows whatever, and now have an empty space, carpet and boot liner, spare wheel etc all removed....

A point of note from when Connor had a leak in the boot due to a bad seal, as is the case this of course killed the rear parking module resulting in a few £££ to replace. The seal / leak of course is long fixed, but as a belts n braces type measure I've added a plastic cover of sorts. This is above the module so that in the event of A N other leaks it will not be destroyed so easily...

I added the 2mm Silentcoat vibro damping material, this gives the tinny wheel well area some bulk / mass and instantly deadens any sounds entering that area. it's very pliable and can easily be cut to any size, great adhesive properties, sticks very well, here's the entire boot area covered

Then for good measure the closed cell foam on top, this is 10mm thick with a self adhesive backing and again sticks very well. Any sounds that do get through are absorbed and lessened even more

I took her for a run afterwards and definitely seems quieter, but Mrs C's ears will check and advise me later no doubt.
Onwards n upwards

I got the X type back today from the docs, remedial works as follows

1 x front drop link replaced
1 x front wheel bearing needing changed ( did both at the same time )
Brake fluid changed
Power steering fluid changed
Transmission fluid changed ( manual )
Handbrake cable renewed

I have the report from Mrs C so far as...."she seems better on the road, no steering wheel shimmy / shake and no noise from the rear"...…."the handbrake seems in good order too"
Definitely an improvement for sure, we'll keep an eye on her and see how it goes moving forward.
In the meantime, she's in on Monday morning for wheel refurbishment all round on the 18" Proteus alloys. that'll make a big difference ( for all of 5 minutes lol )

Once she's back I'm going in to detail mode when time allows, full wash / clay bar / clean / polish etc. I'll take the time to fill in any little stone chips etc here n there whilst I'm at it, need to get the wheels off and clean the hubs and calipers also, then a full clean inside

18" Proteus alloys full refurbished and looking as new...…..for around 5 minutes is my guess, but time will tell lol

Hoping to have them off in the next week or so and hubs / calipers cleaned up and repainted, then onto a little detailing session both inside n out

Jim