X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield stone chip repair

Old 06-29-2014, 07:36 PM
Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Windshield stone chip repair

Had a stone chip in my windshield that I wanted to take care of before the hot humid weather / AC started here in NY. Went to my local safe**** window/glass place and asked them how much to fix the chip. Guy says $ 149.00 + TAX. I got to and said thanks - but that's ridiculous.

Figured I would at least try going to my local auto supply shop and ask them if they had anything they'd recommend. They showed me the permatex product and said they've used it themselves on their own cars and as long as you follow the directions , it'll work fine.

Well it worked better than fine. Took about a total of about an hour. I wasn't sure if the resin would actually get into the void and fill it in, but it did and it's unnoticeable unless you know where it was and try to make out the almost nonexistent outline. For about 14 dollars ( tax included ) this was a home run.

Next up was adding a 3.5mm audio input to the stock radio. Will be posting that next.

Attached Thumbnails Windshield stone chip repair-windshield.jpg  
Old 06-29-2014, 07:45 PM
Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts

Successful DIY! Congrats!!!

Old 06-30-2014, 01:06 AM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I just go to the glass guys and my insurance pays for the people to fix it. I do have USAA though. I do not have glass insurance but in Colorado we get lots of chips in windshields from snow traction gravel and rocks. Can't you just take it to a glass chip repair person for free and call insurance? Always worked for me and they do the repair better than I can....also have you come back for a touch up later one.

Old 07-01-2014, 08:02 AM
Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by carcster
I just go to the glass guys and my insurance pays for the people to fix it. I do have USAA though. I do not have glass insurance but in Colorado we get lots of chips in windshields from snow traction gravel and rocks. Can't you just take it to a glass chip repair person for free and call insurance? Always worked for me and they do the repair better than I can....also have you come back for a touch up later one.
Nothing is free in NYC

I didn't want to go through insurance for a chip either ... just another reason for them to jack up rates - again NY

figured for 12.50 + tax = worth a shot.

Old 08-01-2014, 11:02 AM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by myexcursion
Had a stone chip in my windshield that I wanted to take care of before the hot humid weather / AC started here in NY. Went to my local safe**** window/glass place and asked them how much to fix the chip. Guy says $ 149.00 + TAX. I got to and said thanks - but that's ridiculous.

Figured I would at least try going to my local auto supply shop and ask them if they had anything they'd recommend. They showed me the permatex product and said they've used it themselves on their own cars and as long as you follow the directions , it'll work fine.

Well it worked better than fine. Took about a total of about an hour. I wasn't sure if the resin would actually get into the void and fill it in, but it did and it's unnoticeable unless you know where it was and try to make out the almost nonexistent outline. For about 14 dollars ( tax included ) this was a home run.

Next up was adding a 3.5mm audio input to the stock radio. Will be posting that next.
I had one fixed on my XK8 at one of our local drive in's Friday show n' shines and the charge was only $40 with life time warranty.