X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield/windscreen pitting?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 01:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield/windscreen pitting?

I purchased a 2007 X-type just over two months ago, in excellent condition. The windshield seems very susceptible to pitting, and I'm not driving in bad conditions - just normal city driving. When the full sun is on the windshield it resembles a cheap planetarium show, with about 50 or more pinhole-sized "stars".

I understand this is a problem with the Porsche 911 windshield because of soft glass that is used. Is this the case with Jaguar as well? I did a search of the term pitting on these forums but didn't find anything.

Thanks!

Old 04-06-2010, 06:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

I've had 3 windshields in my X and all of them seem to pit far to easily. The replacements were OEM's. I used to drive a lot of highway so I could understand the pitting, but on the last one I wasn't really driving any highway and it still pitted all to heck in less than a year. Irritating for sure. I don't know if this is common or not for the X.

Old 04-06-2010, 08:15 AM

Thank you, Chris. Did you buy the replacement windshield from the dealership, if you don't mind me asking? One post on these forums I believe said that could cost $800. I think I'll need to just look between the stars in that case. Yipes!

Old 04-06-2010, 11:00 AM
Veteran Member

Nope, mine were replaced by glass company that was able to get OEM windshields. I believe the cost is somewhere betweeen $600 and $800....but mine were broken and covered by insurance so I got lucky. Price might vary a little if you have the rain sensing wiper option (I do). Might be cheaper if you do not.

You may want to try polishing the glass yourself and see if you can at least get reasonble results you can live with. I was thinking of giving this a try: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-905030/

Last edited by The Chris X; 04-06-2010 at 11:02 AM.
Old 04-06-2010, 02:33 PM

You're braver than me Someone on another forum (don't know how reliable) recommended Duragloss Nu-Glass cleaner & polisher - I may try that.

Old 04-06-2010, 03:01 PM
Veteran Member

Lucky for me I have some windshield glass I can test it on before I F*** up a windshield!

Key looks to be taking it slow, try not to generate heat and distort the glass.

There may be a filler type material you could try. Eastwood has all kinds of products for this, more than enough to screw up a perfectly useable windshield!

http://search.eastwood.com/search?as...&p=Q&ts=custom

Old 04-06-2010, 04:46 PM
ud
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I just got quoted $490 to replace my glass as it is pitted beyond belief and does have some cracks (which were fixed but still cracked between 'em). Will submit it to insurance as you should always carry glass coverage on a car which has a pricey windshield. Costs me $30 a year for comp. but if you ask most insurers have just glass insurance for like $15 a year. Most insurance companies do have to pay for pit replacements too as it is a saftey hazard.

The manual does say someting about you needing to use Jag paste on it. every couple of months. Not sure if it is a glorified rain x or something to keep it from pitting.

Old 04-06-2010, 09:22 PM

I have an 03 xtype that when driving into the sun looks like you're looking at a star field. You'd think that after 100K miles some kind rock would hit the bloody thing so I could get a nice new windshield...but Nooooo. In Michigan it's unheard of to get that far without replacing your windshield.. I must just be lucky.

Old 04-07-2010, 08:54 AM

Thanks everyone! Lotta good information here.

Now I have some more accessories to buy, and a phone call to make to my insurance agent...

Old 04-07-2010, 09:46 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by benebob
I just got quoted $490 to replace my glass as it is pitted beyond belief and does have some cracks (which were fixed but still cracked between 'em). Will submit it to insurance as you should always carry glass coverage on a car which has a pricey windshield. Costs me $30 a year for comp. but if you ask most insurers have just glass insurance for like $15 a year. Most insurance companies do have to pay for pit replacements too as it is a saftey hazard.

The manual does say someting about you needing to use Jag paste on it. every couple of months. Not sure if it is a glorified rain x or something to keep it from pitting.
$490 ain't bad if you had to pay out of pocket.

I wonder if you would need a statement from an inspection mechanic (if your state has inspections) to support your replacement based on pitting claim?

I remember something about that Jag paste too, need to look into that. Maybe we should just get tear-offs like they use in NASCAR? lol....

Old 04-07-2010, 11:07 AM
ud

Originally Posted by The Chris X
$490 ain't bad if you had to pay out of pocket.

I wonder if you would need a statement from an inspection mechanic (if your state has inspections) to support your replacement based on pitting claim?

I remember something about that Jag paste too, need to look into that. Maybe we should just get tear-offs like they use in NASCAR? lol....
But for $15 a year for glass coverage you'll make out assuming you'll need to replace your windshield every 32.667 years or less.

Old 04-07-2010, 12:21 PM
Veteran Member

LOL, hey you are preaching to the choir here benebob, I've got glass coverage on everything and always will. All it takes to ruin a windshield is that soccer mom in front of you to weave slightly onto the berm while digging for her cellphone and you have a nice pebble storm coming your way.

I just had the heated windshield replaced on my Range Rover and thank gawd I had insurance on that monster....

Old 04-07-2010, 03:06 PM
ud

Originally Posted by The Chris X
LOL, hey you are preaching to the choir here benebob, I've got glass coverage on everything and always will. All it takes to ruin a windshield is that soccer mom in front of you to weave slightly onto the berm while digging for her cellphone and you have a nice pebble storm coming your way.

I just had the heated windshield replaced on my Range Rover and thank gawd I had insurance on that monster....
Not preaching to you per say, just trying to make everyone aware how cheap glass coverage is. A lot of insurers say they don't offer it alone and you need to buy comp. just tell them you aren't interested in comp and I guess they aren't interested in your business... they'll change their tune. FTR only vehicle I didn't have coveragae on was my F-250 which cost all of $160 to replace. factor in a $100 deductable and it just wasn't worth it.