Sponsored by:

X-type 2.0d 2005 overheating - no heat in cabin

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2014, 12:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking X-type 2.0d 2005 overheating - no heat in cabin

Hello fellow Jag Owners,

I appologise if I am posting incorrectly I am a noobie

I have a 2005 x type 2.0 diesel which has been maintained well but recently I went for a drive had the car on slow speed for for about 15 minutes when I noticed the temperature gauge suddenly shoot to red. I got an excessing engine temperature warning.

I have noticed I have lost interior heat but the ac works well. The radiator fans came on like mad. I have replaced the thermostat which has not helped. The car does not seem to run hot the engine is not overheating from what I can feel. I was thinking it may be the ect temperature sensor on the head block but I am not getting any heat in the car at the same time as the temperature gauge shot up. I am thinking do i possibly have a bad water pump which is not circulating water. Can you kind people give me some advise. I am good with tools and know my way around cars.

thank you very much
Imran

Old 10-04-2014, 03:17 PM
Received 286 Likes on 234 Posts

iahmed52: You are very welcome here, however, you'll probably be more satisfied directing diesel questions to the UK Jaguar website JaguarForum.co.uk - T he World's # 1 Jaguar Car Forum. Jaguar did not export many (any?) diesel X-Types to the US.

Having said that, your symptoms of an overheated engine and no interior heat indicate your coolant level is too low. Check the coolant reservoir, which on petrol X-Types is above the front tire on the battery side of the engine compartment. If your coolant is very lower, re-filling the coolant reservoir is a good place to start, but you'll also find and fix the coolant leak. Otherwise, the problem will repeat, and you risk severely damaging your engine.

Also, if your coolant is very low, don't just fill the reservoir and replace the cap. Doing so will leave trapped air in your engine block and heater core, which will expand and possibly over-pressure the coolant system when the engine heats up. It's better to leave the cap off the reservoir until the engine heats up so the water pump can circulate any trapped air out thru the open cap. Then, top of the reservoir and install the cap.