X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X Type - Audio Connectivity Module strangeness

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 01:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default X Type - Audio Connectivity Module strangeness

Recently Retro-fitted a sat nav/touch screen system, as my car was rather basic inside (2004 sport 2.0d).

All was working great.

Added the jaguar ACM (audio connectivity Module) last weekend, all seemingly worked as it should (I don't have a cd changer in the boot).

THEN when I go to work this morning....screen goes blank, and when the jaguar emblem comes back on after a few seconds, so does the screen asking me to re-type on the radio code!!!.

I THINK I may have though of a likely problem...as all was working ok before the acm went in, could the cause be that fact that I used the "piggy back" lead that came with the acm unit....it says to take the multi plug out the back of the head unit cd player, plug in the "piggy back" harness that comes with the ACM unit, then the plug that WAS in the radio is supposed to plug into the OTHER end of the ACM "piggy back" harness.......COULD it be that the problem is....the "piggy back" wiring harness supplied with the ACM might possibly need the wires which are the battery backup wire, and the ignition wire swapping over??? The radio appears to go off after roughly 20 minutes of being on, so I am thinking, maybe the radio is running off the battery backup wire, thinks its been left on, and switches off after 20 minutes??

Does this sound feasible that it could be the cause of the problem? anyone else had issues with ACM fitment?

Like I say, all was working ok until the acm was fittted.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:07 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I would like to hear more about the retrofit. where did you get the sat nav unit, how much and who did the install. pictures?

Old 05-12-2012, 02:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I did the retro-fit myself....just using various jaguar forums, gathering information and a list of the parts I needed, and to be honest the actual fitting part was pretty easy.

After I'd made the list, I started keeping an eye-open for bargains on ebay for my parts....
it's not going to be the cheapest option, you can get a kenwood or a pioneer after-market system MUCH cheaper, but I wanted to keep the looks of my jags interior, and have everything like the air con, all integrated into the one system.

Ok, its probably cost me a fair bit, but as I didnt buy it all in one go, but bit by bit as the bargains showed up on ebay, it wasn't one lump sum of expense.

Some examples of approximate costs are....

Sat nav screen £150.00
cd player module £90
remote control climate control module £90
media mounting rack for boot/trunk £25
sat nav dvd drive unit £150 (came complete with the optical cables)
sat nav dvd unit came with 2005 map dvd, but I sourced a copy on ebay of updated dvd 2011-2012 for £29
Jaguar gps antenna £12
wiring harness - got a member of another jaguar forum to make this up for me £150
boot carpet for l/h side, complete with cubby hole opening to get to media units £29

I think thats all the bits.....like I said....quite expensive...but was not bought all in one go, but over several months.

As the old climate control unit isnt needed, you can sell that to gain some money back, same with your old cd player/telephone control head unit...gained around £100 back

Didnt take long to fit really...as once you have the wiring harness made up...it's all plug and play, probably took a saturday to do, and then just a bit of tweaking/tidying up over the next couple of weekends.
All you need to be able to do is take the head unit out, fit the new screen, and once you have the harness, its all pretty evident what plugs into where...I routed my harness down the centre of the car, under the carpet...a little tricky, but can be done without removing seats, etc...although I did remove base of back seat to make it easier to get wiring into the boot/trunk. When I bought my screen, there was the multiplug still attached, with a tiny bit of wiring, so this made it easy for my friend to make up a harness, as he had something to start with...I had trouble tracing down the correct multiplug connectors for the dvd unit end of the harness....my friend manage to find some from a local scrap yard for £5....this is the part that took the time, but it can be done if you know where to look for said multi-connectors

Its a nice sat nav system, easy enough to use...accurate, and easy to read maps, not like some of todays sat nav units, and the womans voice is very soothing!...lololol

Just installed the jaguar audio connectivity module, cost around £150 brand new off ebay...bargain, as it's normally WAY more expensive than that, now I can have my ipod charging and playing through the system when I press the cdc button on my head unit...it also has a usb port and phono input sockets to allow input of many different audio items.

I thought I might as well add myself a cd changer too, off ebay for £60...my car WAS rather basic is it didnt even have one of these...although it probably wont get used that much...I just put it in there as an added listening option.

Sourced a phone wiring harness on ebay for £30, and a bluetooth module, plugged all that in ready to go, I have a phone module, but its the old gsm variety...just need to find one on ebay thats not gsm, then I'll add that to the media rack, along side the roof microphone when I find it...and I'll have working bluetooth phone system too...so this part is work in progress!

I don't know how highly specced your car is, but mine only had a cd head unit in it....NOW however, its looking pretty high specced, and is a lot more luxurious to drive with all the gadgets and gizmos, if you have the time during the odd weekend to sit and tinker, I'd highly recommend it, as the bits are pretty easy to get hold of...its all really the addition of modules really, the odd wiring harness, whioch although being more scarce than the modules, they DO still pop up on ebay from time to time...e.g. my phone wiring harness.

I didn't take any photos, I could take some now....but it wouldnt mean anything, will just be pic of a sat nav screen....but I am really pleased with the way the whole car is shaping up now.

Just looking for a voice module and wiring harness