Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X-type aux drive belt gets hot - newbie

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2017, 06:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default X-type aux drive belt gets hot - newbie

Hello everybody

I'm new to the forum and have looked after my own cars for a number of years. I'm hoping that someone out there may be able to advise me.

About a year ago I did the crankshaft pulley, tensioner etc upgrade using Jag parts. Last week, after a 300 mile journey, I noticed that my dashboard charging light was on. A check under the bonnet showed that the serpentine drive belt was missing. After recovery of the Jag to home I fitted a replacement belt, checked everything was in place and started the engine. I noticed that the ac compressor was noisy and that the central, clutch-controlled, part of the compressor pulley was moving around in short jerks. I also smelled a 'burning rubber' type smell and when I touched the belt itself, this was really hot. I've put a dab of white paint on each of the pullies/wheels in the system and they all seem to be turning - apart from the clutch-operated pulley on the compressor (as described above). I'm presuming that on my long journey the belt has experienced a lot of friction and worn away. However, the outer part of the pulley on the ac compressor seems to be turning normally.
I'm going to need a new/used compressor but don't want to replace what might be a coincidentally faulty part only to be left with the original belt burning problem.

Any thoughts or advice when ludicrous be much appreciated.

Regards

Kevin

Old 04-09-2017, 11:52 AM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Your compressor is probably frozen, I would check that with the belt off,
as well as all the pulleys.

Walter

Old 04-09-2017, 12:13 PM

Thanks, Walter 🤓

Old 04-15-2017, 01:08 PM
Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

First check compressor clutch relay, then clutch pulley, if relay is OK, The pulley turns free, butt if you hear the noise from the compressor, then replace it.

Old 04-15-2017, 07:05 PM
Default Haynes or WWW?

Thank you for that. 🤓 I've by-passed the compressor for now with a shorter belt. When I undid the little pulley bolt pile of bits fell out of the bearing which has clearly had it! The system is still primed with refrigerant so I'm going to swap the unit over when I have s bit of time.
Haynes suggests removing the old unit from underneath by shifting exhaust and suspension parts. The internet favours taking off the front bumper and lowering the radiator. The former sounds preferable. Any thoughts, folks?

regards

Kevin

Old 04-15-2017, 07:33 PM
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

I'm thinking your compressor is fine and the problem is with one of the two idler pulleys or tensioner pulley. Did you check those when you had the belt off?