Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X type diesel limp / safe mode problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 02:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default X type diesel limp / safe mode problem

Hi All,

The X type is a great car, drive, lovely interior and exterior but I have a serious dose of buyer’s remorse at the moment. Just got rid of a reliable Nissan! When I bought my wifes diesel Jag 6 weeks ago with 112k, FSH, new clutch it was great, accelerating well, 85+ on the motorway.

It's suddenly started jumping into limp mode for "nothing" ie little load, flat surface at 35mpg, then even after switching on and offt goes back into it again. Although when she drove it last night like an old lady it was ok for the 20 miles home.

I've read a few posts on about clearing the memory using a code reader? Am I correct in this? Is her car reacting to the code in the memory? How can I do this myself anyone?

Does anyone know any good Jag technicians in Merseyside who has an understanding of these limp/safe mode faults? Someone who knows how to sort the problem out. I'm worried that an ordinary repair technician will read a fault code and just go through a list of things to try ending up with "get a new turbo" or "get a new fuel pump" etc whereas a knowledgeable person may have a few tricks up their sleeve to try. Example, I heard that on The Garage, on Quest Channel, a diesel Landrover was going into limp mode because it a split hose somewhere, so a cheap solution which is what I’m desperate for.

Lastly, is there any way the EMS and all the sensors here there and everywhere can be bypassed or turned off reverting the car to an old reliable diesel? I’m serious, I’d happily take less performance and economy for cheaper and reliable motoring. I had 2 Rover diesels and a Renault diesel in the 90’s that were unbreakable, tough reliable and never faulty. Why aren’t the modern diesels like this?

Thks for reading/answering. Mike

Old 05-20-2013, 02:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

Mike, you need a code reader.
If you've got an Android phone then buy an OBD dongle off EBay and use an app called Torque.
When you've read the codes post them here so the X type guys can help.
Unfortunately there's no way of reverting to tractor power.
Many of the mods were made to comply with emission control legislation.