Sponsored by:

X-Type has no heat

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 05:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default X-Type has no heat

Hello All:

I have a 2006 X-type 3.0 AWD.

Recently the heat stopped working. The AC worked perfectly fine all summer and the heat was working prior to now.

I have checked the blend door and it appears to be working properly. Fan works fine, the thermostat seems to be working fine as well

I also topped off the anti-freeze after opening the reservoir cover, started the car and then added anti-freeze until filled. I can't see any anti-freeze leaks.

At this point I think that I need to do a heater core flush. I have been unable to locate the hoses that run to the heater core through the firewall.

I have read many post describing the process to do a heater core flush, but none showing where the hoses are.

Does anyone have any pictures of the location of these hoses, or the best place to perform a heater core flush.

Any assistance or other advice would be appreciated.

Old 01-08-2018, 06:14 PM
Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

nj,

I had a similar problem. I have attached a pic of the hose layout.

X-Type has no heat-heater-hose_01.jpg

Check (touch) your hoses when the engine is at temp. All of the hoses should be HOT to the touch. The hose connected to the antifreeze reservoir and engine "T" is the return FROM the heater core. The hose below it is the supply TO the heater core.

I found that I had hot water going to the heater core, but the hose was cold on the return (hence no flow through the heater core). I stopped the engine, disconnected the return hose at the "T", leaving the reservoir hose and engine hose attached to the "T" and removed the supply hose at the engine outlet. I then put normal water hose pressure to the return hose and back-flushed the core. I got a fair amount of black gunk flushed out of the system.

Reconnect everything back as you found it, restore antifreeze level to normal and test system again..

Last edited by PanamaJag; 01-08-2018 at 06:28 PM.
Old 01-08-2018, 06:17 PM
Received 2,577 Likes on 1,783 Posts

Have a read of this thread, you may find it helpful for your situation:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...working-65029/

Old 01-08-2018, 06:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

Before going to the back flush I would suggest that you take it out for a vigorous run on an open highway. You stated you had to top off until with it running the reservoir filled. That would indicate you have trapped air in the heater core. A common problem when coolant gets to low.
The alternative is to the the burping procedure outlined in the tech manual to get the air out of the system.

Old 01-08-2018, 07:18 PM

First, thank you to everyone for the advice/responses.

I got the car warmed up and all of my hoses were warm except the one coming out of the engine not attached to the T.

Any ideas if this indicates the same issue? Also, when you mentioned "removed the supply hose at the engine outlet" can you verify that you mean the hose that I have labeled as cold in my pic.

With regards to running it vigorously, I ran it up to 90mph yesterday without flooring the car. I would assume that would count as a vigorous run. If not please let me know what would be better.

I am going to try the hard reset now and see if that provides any success/changes.

Thanks again.

The following users liked this post:
Selahattin Saglam (01-31-2024)
Old 01-08-2018, 07:42 PM

I did the hard reset and saw no change in the heat.

I did notice that I didn't need to reset anything (windows, clock, etc.) so perhaps I didn't leave the battery disconnected for long enough. Trying again.

Old 01-08-2018, 08:02 PM

I probably don't have to mention this, but I will, only for total clarity.

Make sure the engine cools before you attempt to take any of the hoses loose.

Yes, I removed the spring hose clamp on the one your have labeled as COLD at the hard pipe and the center one on the "T" above it.

X-Type has no heat-hoses_flow01.jpg

I applied the water hose to the upper hose to reverse the normal flow through the core during the flush when I did it. (Note - I had a 1/2" garden hose without a brass end fitting and I placed a short piece of 3/8" PVC pipe into the end of the garden hose and then into the heater core hose to make it easier to control the "spillage" from the hose. You will probably also want to point the other heater core hose away from you and your engine (ask me how I know this.. lol)

As far as the your Hot/Cold being the opposite of those I had, this still indicates to me that there is no flow through the core. For me, this was due to blockage in the core). Once I flushed it, reconnected and refilled, both supply and return hoses were hot and I had heat in the cabin.

There may be other issues involved, but the flush was quick and easy to do, so I started with the easy thing first, and it solved the problem for me.

Last edited by PanamaJag; 01-08-2018 at 08:04 PM.
Old 01-08-2018, 08:20 PM

Here's the flow diagram from the 2002 workshop manual.

X-Type has no heat-coolant_01a.jpg

Hope this is helpful.

Old 01-08-2018, 08:39 PM

PanamaJag this is very helpful.

I will try to bleed the system.

If that doesn't work, I will be flushing the system per your instructions.

Thank you again for the assistance.

Old 01-08-2018, 08:41 PM

Let us know how it works out and what you found.

Good Luck!!!

Old 01-12-2018, 06:58 PM

I did the heater core flush and got the heat back on.

In the middle of finishing with a full flush and I have the car filled with water right now.

Once it cools back down, I will refill with antifreeze and I should be in good shape.

Thanks again guys

Old 02-19-2019, 07:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help me no heat

2002 X-Type no heat filled radiator Reservoir up disconnected heater core Inlet and Outlet hose and blue are physically through each end so don't think it's plugged but it's still cold out here so the spickets Frozen and I can't use it to do a real backwash. A

lso here's a picture of under the dash I found a part hanging seems to go to a blend door or something, can anyone please help me figure this out