X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X-Type Knock Sensor - Engine Coolant FYI and Opinions Welcome

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 08:10 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default X-Type Knock Sensor - Engine Coolant FYI and Opinions Welcome

I love this Forum, thanks to all that take the time to share and respond. I have a 2006 X-Type 3.0 with 125K on it and it has run beautifully the past year or so. Well, I got the Limp Mode issue last week and did some research on the P0332 Codes etc and decided to give it a try to replace the Knock Sensor.
I used Kl3vr and blades99 Posts as a guide - and they were invaluable to a novice like me ! I had the new one installed in 2 hours!

I did notice as I pulled of the lower manifold and was looking everything over that there was a bit of engine coolant collecting on top of the motor ( below manifold) So I'm thinking this might have caused my sensor to pop. I believe the culprit is worn out O rings in the Coolant Pipe Assembly as it leaves the Engine and routes back to Radiator. ( Pics attached ) Anyone have any experience getting new O Rings that can share part numbers etc? - I looked through the X-Type Repair Manual and Jaguar Parts Online
and found a few that I ordered through my Auto parts store locally... but am not completely sure they are the right ones

Guess I'll find out Wednesday when they come in! If anyone has any experience or advice on these pipes I'm all Ears! Will let you know how it goes

You can see the Orange Coolant collected on top of Motor

These are the Pipes with the Suspect O Rings

Thanks Guys!

Old 04-10-2017, 04:23 PM
Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

In general, this type of O-Ring is just a normal O-Ring. You should be able to find it locally at a bearing supply house. Mc Master-Car on line has them too.

The following users liked this post:
Jpsleight (04-10-2017)
Old 04-10-2017, 08:11 PM

Thank You - I'll check it out!

Old 04-11-2017, 04:15 PM
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

I had the same problem, only with coolant leaking down past the crankshaft hub to the floor. I finally chased cause to a worn o-ring on that pipe. Knew that dandy digital micrometer I bought would come in handy someday! I used it to ballpark the measurements, then spent $1 at my local hardware store for the fix.

Attached Thumbnails X-Type Knock Sensor - Engine Coolant FYI and Opinions Welcome-pipe1.jpg  
Old 04-12-2017, 05:42 PM

Here are the 3 Seals Needed for this Pipe I Ordered them from www.terrysjag.com

The following users liked this post:
swingwing (04-12-2017)
Old 04-16-2017, 04:48 PM

Last update - The O Rings and Seals worked perfectly and everything got back together after about 5 startups and trips the code cleared and check engine light is off - Thanks for the help

Old 09-30-2018, 11:46 AM
Default Water Inlet and Bypass Tube? New Issues ! Coolant Leak is back again!

Hello After a year of no issues on my knock sensor, It came back last month and I tore it down yesterday and found coolant on the engine again -- since I already replaced the seals and rings below - I'm thinking I should have also replaced the main gasket for the inlet pipe - #2 Below .. Has anyone done that? One of the Bolts that holds it on is impossible to reach - I tried with a crow foot wrench yesterday and could not get a hold of it -- perhaps a crow foot socket? Any other tool tips to get that sucker out? #3 below