X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X-type Lock-out.

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 07:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default X-type Lock-out.

In the parking lot at the Jag dealer after routine service the car is running while I transfer stuff from another car to my Jag, my 2 yrs old daughter is in her car seat in the back. I close the rear pass. door and when I try to open the drivers door all the doors lock electronically.

I enlisted the help of the Jag tech who was dewildered. They got the door open with the help of some wedges and a wire hangar. I heard the door locks open and I grabbed the door handle...I opened the drivers door and as soon as the door was open the door locks activated electronically again. (This time the door was open). Both Jag techs scratching their heads.

Two mornings ago...cold as it is in the Northeast I start my car to defrost the windows. I return to the house for 5 - 10 min to get my stuff for work. I return to the car, still running, and try to open the driver's door and as soon as I pick up the door handle all the doors lock on the car. My extra remote will not unlock the doors while the car is running. I can manually open the door with the key.

Seems to be a nice anti-theft feature but unless I have an extra key this could be a problem. The problem is...it has never done this before and I have had the car for 4 yrs. Jag tech has never seen this happen before.

What would cause this to happen??

Old 03-02-2010, 05:55 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

roguegt, does the car only lock the doors when the door handle on the driver's side is lifted up or does it do it from the passenger door too? I am going to assume that it will only do it from the driver's door. With that being said, what you need to do is to open the driver's door and then remove the door skin from the inside of the door. Now, find the wire bundle that runs to the lock mechanism in the upper right corner. Now, follow that wire bundle and see if you can feel/see any damage to the bundle (specifically an orange wire in that bundle). If the orange wire comes in contact with a ground (ie, just about any piece of metal on the car), it will send a signal to the computer for the door locks and it will instruct the computer to lock all doors (same as pushing the lock button to the lock position). That is about the only thing that I can think of that would cause something like what you are seeing.

If you find any damage, you can initially cover it up with some electrical tape and that should stop things from happening to you. But, a more permanent fix will be required which will require moving the wire bundle some to prevent it from getting pinched and damaging the insulation.