X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

x type no air to screen

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 12:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default x type no air to screen

hi all, hope you can assist , have 2002 x type, and enjoying all , but have the steammy windows which i cant clear , as there appears to be no or little air comming out the vents at screen . all others vents appear to be working .
any ideas , and pics of how to solve would be fab if available. dont fancy another scottish winter with icey inside windows

Old 10-14-2010, 12:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Do you have the straight defrost button? Mine has the heated screen so I press the defrost button it goes full fan only on the windscreen, rear defor and heated screen all at the same time. It is on the left side on my car, there is only on the right side a button for feet and screen as an alternative which won't clean my screen.

Also might want to check the pollen filter it will restrict airflow.

Old 10-14-2010, 12:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeh its got the straight defrost button that puts the fan on full, but very littel comes out the top.

treid it with manual selectio to screen , and littse, but i hear it blowing and feel it when selecting other vents

but very little out of top ?

Old 10-14-2010, 01:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

I'm thinking the filter is plugged, try pulling the filter and trying it. Takes 5 minutes to pull the filter. Just pull the pins holding the plastic cowl that the wipers come out of out. Then it's on the right side, I can access mine and I have popeye arms.

Old 10-14-2010, 02:23 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with Sidewalkman.

If looking at the front of your car, it should be just under the left hand side windshield wiper (under that plasic cap that runs the entire length of your windshield).

Remove the (4) caps (by gently lifting the center tabs with a flat head screwdriver) and lift the plastic cap. I actually didnt have to remove the cap, I was able to bend it up enough to pull out the cabin filter and replace it with a new one.

I have ZERO mechanical skills and the job took me 20 min - 10 of which was me looking for the filter and taking my time.

If you replace it and you still have the issue, then I would tend to agree you may have something clogged in your the line that runs air to your interior...

Old 10-14-2010, 05:01 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,842 Likes on 3,159 Posts

Sm4lls, I am placing money that the actuator for your defrost blend door has failed. If you access the footwell on the right side of the car (under the steering wheel assuming your car is right hand drive), if you look up on the side of the ventilation system, you will see 3 actuators (one by itself nearest you, 2 side by side about 10 CM up). The defrost blend actuator is the one on top, nearest the firewall. You can try swapping the actuators around and seeing if the defrost then works to confirm a bad actuator as it will then direct air out the top of the dash.

If that doesn't fix it, then you either have a frozen blend door (can be confirmed good by manually rotating the blend door using an allen driver where the actuator gets bolted on) or it is an electrical issue leading to the actuator.

Old 12-29-2010, 07:35 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm having a similar problem, however there is definitly air coming from defroster vent onto the screen.

Read elsewhere that the fresh air blend door was shut, not allowing fresh air in to defog. I changed the pollen filter and saw that the blend door was indeed closed. I was able to manually push open the door with a long screwdriver, installed the new filter and buttoned everything up. Car defogged just fine for a day or so, then the problem started again. I opened her back up and noted the blend door was closed again. I have not used the recirculation button to make the door close.

At this point I'm not sure what is happening. I noted that after I push the blend door open and push the recirculate button the blend door will close. However, when I turn off recirculate the door remains closed.

Could this be a problem with the actuator or something going on with the electronics?

Any and all help would be appreciated ... Thanks!