X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X Type Spinning Wheel Stud Advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 07:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default X Type Spinning Wheel Stud Advice

Hello All, I have a 2002 x type 2.5 sport which I really love. Have an issue with a spinning wheel stud. It was spinning with the lug nut still attached. I was able to get the nut removed with PB blaster, a vise grip on the back of the stud and some brute force. I got lucky I think.

My question now is, what is the best way to replace the stud? can it be done without removing the wheel assembly? If I remove the wheel, caliper, and rotor will that give me enough access to remove it?

I am a below average home mechanic to be honest. Thank you all for your suggestions.

Old 07-07-2014, 06:37 PM
Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Yes, you can replace wheel studs without removing the hub assembly. I've done it on the front and rear wheels because of galled/seized studs. I don't recall any special tricks or issues with this job. I believe I just used a large hammer to drive out the old stud and a conventional (non-hooded) lug nut installed backwards (i.e., with the tapered side facing out) over a washer to pull the new stud into the hub flange. You may have to rotate the hub to a particular position to allow for enough clearance behind the hub to remove/install the stud.

I bought replacement wheel studs and hooded lug nuts for a Lincoln LS at NAPA Auto Parts. The studs are a little bit longer than the original Jag studs, but work just fine. The hood (stainless cover) on the lug nuts are shaped slightly differently but are otherwise identical. I also applied anti-seize on the studs to prevent future seizing. Some folks will the studs should remain dry, but I was getting tired of changing seized/galled studs.

Old 07-08-2014, 01:14 AM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by MarkC
Yes, you can replace wheel studs without removing the hub assembly. I've done it on the front and rear wheels because of galled/seized studs. I don't recall any special tricks or issues with this job. I believe I just used a large hammer to drive out the old stud and a conventional (non-hooded) lug nut installed backwards (i.e., with the tapered side facing out) over a washer to pull the new stud into the hub flange. You may have to rotate the hub to a particular position to allow for enough clearance behind the hub to remove/install the stud.

I bought replacement wheel studs and hooded lug nuts for a Lincoln LS at NAPA Auto Parts. The studs are a little bit longer than the original Jag studs, but work just fine. The hood (stainless cover) on the lug nuts are shaped slightly differently but are otherwise identical. I also applied anti-seize on the studs to prevent future seizing. Some folks will the studs should remain dry, but I was getting tired of changing seized/galled studs.
I'm with you on the use of anti-seize. I use it on all studs and on the back of the wheels wheels where they contact the hub. The first time I removed the wheels on the X-Type the right front wheel was seized to the hub. It took me about 3 hours to work it loose. Since using anti-seize I've never had a problem. I use it on my XK8 too. Also nobody touches my wheels with any power tools only a manual torque wrench to tighten them.

Old 07-11-2014, 11:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wanted to thank you for the help with this. Replaced the stud without much trouble at all. Sure beats the $850 that Jaguar wanted to charge me.