X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X-type Sport brakes

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 06:25 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default X-type Sport brakes

Greetings all, I am looking at a 2002 Jag X-type Sport w/ 5spd and a 3.0L. The car has the Premium Package (X1) and Weather Package (X3) as well.

I was wanting to know if the Sport package came with larger brakes than the non-sport model. I am used to a Porsche w/ 4-piston Brembo brakes. I had heard that the sport model X-types came with larger Brembo brakes but I just wanted to verify.

Thank you kindly for the help!

~ Charles

Old 12-22-2007, 08:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts
Default RE: X-type Sport brakes

You have the same car as me and the brakes on the 2002 X Types are all the same whether Sport orSE.
They are carried over from the Ford Mondeo and are not Brembo.
I know the brakes are not that good so I went for EBC turbo grooved discs and Redstuff ceramic pads.
Hardly any brake dust and what little there is just wipes off easily.Braking is far better than stock even though Jagoffer Greenstuff pads as std replacement pads from dealerships.

Old 12-22-2007, 10:22 AM
Received 71 Likes on 30 Posts

^ 2nded.

I think it's safe to say there is no comparison between a 4 piston Brembo set up, and (modified) X-types brakes. Brakes aside, we're still not exactly comparing apples to apples. If you have hopes that the X will brake similarly to the Porsche, I hate to say it, but you're going to be sadly disappointed. However, with the aforementioned upgrades, the X brakes quite well.

Old 12-22-2007, 11:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Brembo stuff is a resounding one .I think it would be the finest set up to fit a Brembo .I believe Range Rover and RR Sport come with Brembo and if possible that would be more than superb to adapt those brakes into a X

Old 12-23-2007, 10:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah no doubt...not to mention the fact that the porsche had brembo's that car is also lighter than our I'd imagine so that will also make for a drastic difference in braking...I'm sure if you do the ebc upgrade you'd be happy with it as you are speaking of a sedan not sports car...the s-type r if I'm not mistaken is brembo though...

Old 12-24-2007, 04:09 AM

Thank you all for the information. I understand that this Jag will not be in the same league as my Porsche. I am glad to hear that there are upgrades that can be made to pads and rotors.
Anything will be better than the brakeson myFord Explorer I am dealing with now.

Really I am just looking for brakes with a firm pedal feel, good modulation with aninitial bite that will have its presence be known. I am not planning on tracking the car but I do a fair amount of highway driving and I feel much better knowing I have a set of binders on the car that will shed some velocity quickly without error or unsureness.

Old 12-24-2007, 09:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh yeah you should be happy once the upgrade is done.

Old 12-27-2007, 08:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  cars.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  7.4 KB

ORIGINAL: Chas944
Thank you all for the information. I understand that this Jag will not be in the same league as my Porsche. I am glad to hear that there are upgrades that can be made to pads and rotors.
Anything will be better than the brakeson myFord Explorer I am dealing with now.

Really I am just looking for brakes with a firm pedal feel, good modulation with aninitial bite that will have its presence be known. I am not planning on tracking the car but I do a fair amount of highway driving and I feel much better knowing I have a set of binders on the car that will shed some velocity quickly without error or unsureness.
Chas, welcome to the site first of all

Re the brake pads and discs....Buck is right. Most of us here have changed . upgraded / adapted etc as the stock system is " poor " to say the least.
Like Buck I have uprated to EBC Redstuff ceramic pads and plain discs ( although , slotted / dimpled are available ).
It wasnt a huge amount of m oney to do the upgrade but the difference is light night n day.
Highly recommended

Jim

Old 12-27-2007, 10:49 PM

Thank you kindly Jim for the warm welcome. [sm=smiley20.gif]I am excited about the prospect of owning a Jaguar and a 5spd Sport model at that. This would be my first exposure to British cars other than a friends MG midget.

Looking around at the EBC redstuff brakes the prices are not to bad or at least compariable to what I was spending for spirited street driving pads for my Porsche 944. Track pads are a whole different story at ~$150/front set.

I know this is off topic for this thread but are there any ECU chip upgrades available?

Thank you!!

Old 12-28-2007, 12:13 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes I was thinking so I can do some racing . Can you chip jaguars to do better perfomance.

Old 12-28-2007, 02:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Petrol X Types have a very tricky engine management control module when it comes to upgrading for extra performance. Probably as Jaguar modified the settings from the Mondeo when the basic engine was carried over after all their changes.Even normally aspirated cars that can be chipped dont get that much extra performance unlike turbo petrols and turbo diesels where boost and fuel can be increased to get lots more power.
Change one of the settings for more power and another compensates for it so cancels it out.The only company I know who have successfully done this are Arden but you need to send yoiur ECU to Germany so they can modify it and for the huge cost and relatively little extra gains its not worth the money.
I emailed Superchips when I bought my Xtype and they said they were working on a chip for the Petrol X type.They still havent managed it successfully as one hasnt been released so I dont know whether they ditched the idea or not but Im not holding my breath.