X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X Type Sport Model

Old 05-10-2014, 10:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default X Type Sport Model

2003 X-type British racing Green, is there such a thing as a sport package and how is it identified?

Papadave 67

Old 05-11-2014, 02:36 AM

They do make a sport package for the X Type the way I came across mine is when I was changing rims I noticed my shock said Sport on it and as far as I know if you car is not the sport package your shocks will not say sport rather than that I really don't know sorry I hope this helps

Old 05-11-2014, 04:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 164 Posts

In UK X types were available in various levels of trim . Basic, Classic, Sport , SE , Sovereign & a couple of limited editions XS & " Spirit " like mine...

Old 05-11-2014, 07:09 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,822 Likes on 3,142 Posts

papadave, the easiest way to identify a Sport model X-Type is to look at the trim around the grill and also on the corners of the car. If this trim is chrome, then you have a standard X-Type. If the pieces are color matched to the body of the car, then it is a sport model. The below pic is what a Sport model would look like:

If you look at the picture that Five Speed has, that is what a "standard" edition would look like.

Really, the Sport model is different from a standard model in 3 basic things. The most obvious is the paint as I mentioned. The sport also had slightly different trimming inside the passenger cabin. The final thing is the Sport edition came from the factory with a 1.4" drop. So, the Sport sits slightly lower than a standard X-Type. Nothing was really added to make the car go faster and the items done to the suspension don't significantly help with cornering.

Attached Thumbnails X Type Sport Model-1-thermo-2759-albums-body-upgrades-569-picture-sport-look-not-sure-what-do-next-thinking-about-p.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
jimborino (05-19-2014)
Old 05-11-2014, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Thermo
papadave, the easiest way to identify a Sport model X-Type is to look at the trim around the grill and also on the corners of the car. If this trim is chrome, then you have a standard X-Type. If the pieces are color matched to the body of the car, then it is a sport model. The below pic is what a Sport model would look like:

If you look at the picture that Five Speed has, that is what a "standard" edition would look like.

Really, the Sport model is different from a standard model in 3 basic things. The most obvious is the paint as I mentioned. The sport also had slightly different trimming inside the passenger cabin. The final thing is the Sport edition came from the factory with a 1.4" drop. So, the Sport sits slightly lower than a standard X-Type. Nothing was really added to make the car go faster and the items done to the suspension don't significantly help with cornering.
Correct me if I am wrong I heard that having the chrome painted was a option at the dealer with out the sport options my First X Type had everything painted but it was not the sport unless the guy that sold it to me had all the trim painted

Old 05-11-2014, 03:23 PM
Veteran member

JagX02, it is very possible that someone had it painted. That is how I got my "Sport" model. I pulled the chrome off and painted it. You can tell that mine is not the Sport edition because my Growler badge is still chrome, where the Sport Edition has a color matched Growler. Same thing on the rear of the car. If you look at my trim piece above the license plate, the Sports have a 100% painted piece where mine has the "JAGUAR" left in chrome. Granted, I removed all the lettering that was back there as I think it makes the rear end of the car look a little cleaner and better looking.

Attached Thumbnails X Type Sport Model-1-thermo-2759-albums-body-upgrades-569-picture-sport-look-no-chrome-lettering-other-than-jaguar-.jpg  
Old 05-11-2014, 11:27 PM
Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

The Sport also has 17" rims compared with 16" rims on the 'std' model.

Old 05-12-2014, 05:15 PM
Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Transmission "Sport" shift button an indicator too?

What about the "Sport" button by the gearshifter that supposedly makes the transmission shift points a bit more aggressive...? Is that an indication?

I always wondered about this. I have the 17' 7-spoke rims, but it doesn't have the color-keyed trim bits described above. I guess I should look at my shocks (too bad i didn't read this before rotating my tires yesterday!)

Old 05-12-2014, 08:31 PM
Veteran member

Meatbag, all the X-Types have that button. Just something for you to play with and if you want a little more umpf from the car, turn the light on and hit the gas pedal. You will notice that the tranny will hold onto the gear for just a little bit longer. Depending on how far you are into the gas pedal will determine how much higher the shift point will be. So, if you are into the pedal half way, you may only get say a 100-200 RPM rise out of the shift point. Where if you are into the gas pedal for full WOT, you may get say 300-400 RPM rise.

Old 05-12-2014, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by MeatBag
What about the "Sport" button by the gearshifter that supposedly makes the transmission shift points a bit more aggressive...? Is that an indication?

I always wondered about this. I have the 17' 7-spoke rims, but it doesn't have the color-keyed trim bits described above. I guess I should look at my shocks (too bad i didn't read this before rotating my tires yesterday!)
Yes I mean I had the same question and I asked and search the forum and that the only way I can for sure was by shocks like it was mentioned earlier the "sport" is lowered so it has different shocks and when I asked around I was informed that having th trim painted or not was a option at the dealer besides the sport but next time you change your tires take a peak lol

Old 05-13-2014, 12:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

Sport = slightly lower suspension, body color bumper strips and grill, NO chrome around side windows, only ones to get grey birds-eye maple in the earliest MY's, slightly bigger rear spoiler, and IIRC the VIN number will have a "53" in the sixth and seventh digits vs. a "51" for non-sport.

The following 3 users liked this post by mohrd:
Aonsaithya (05-13-2014), jimborino (05-19-2014), MeatBag (05-24-2014)
Old 05-19-2014, 06:16 PM

the sport version have different seats too

Old 05-22-2014, 12:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

Yep, forgot about that. Bingo, easy way to tell if it's a true Sport as it has more pronounced seat side bolsters. Without having to decode the VIN!!!

Old 05-22-2014, 11:27 PM
Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

Decode the VIN, it's not too difficult as stated above. If you don't have another X type available to compare with, how would you know if your side seat bolsters are more pronounced? Too vague an indication.

Old 05-23-2014, 12:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 266 Likes on 210 Posts

The seats are indeed an easy way to tell, though I too fear the side bolsters might not be immediately obvious since I haven't even known that. However, the seats are usually a fairly good way of quick identification, see this.

Still, weirdly, the sport interior in that collage I put together has veneer trim on doors, which by my knowledge and experience a sport-spec shouldn't have. Perhaps that's a seat-swapped car...

Nardoswiss (05-23-2014)
Old 05-23-2014, 01:32 PM
Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Aonsaithya
The seats are indeed an easy way to tell, though I too fear the side bolsters might not be immediately obvious since I haven't even known that. However, the seats are usually a fairly good way of quick identification, see this.

Still, weirdly, the sport interior in that collage I put together has veneer trim on doors, which by my knowledge and experience a sport-spec shouldn't have. Perhaps that's a seat-swapped car...
The Sport Premium in the collage looks like regular seats to me. But maybe I'm mistaken.

Also, I have a sport version, and I do have veneer trim on the doors. If remember correctly, the only sport version that does not have wooden trim on the doors is the one that comes with suede upholstery.

Last edited by Nardoswiss; 05-23-2014 at 04:30 PM.
Aonsaithya (05-23-2014)
Old 05-23-2014, 05:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 266 Likes on 210 Posts

Oh, that is interesting.

I'm under the impression that the Sport Premium, with its quilted leather, never made it to the US market? Do you have any examples of such?

Old 05-23-2014, 06:17 PM
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Did that age of car have the later cruise controls ?

Old 05-23-2014, 07:26 PM
Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Aonsaithya
Oh, that is interesting.

I'm under the impression that the Sport Premium, with its quilted leather, never made it to the US market? Do you have any examples of such?
Unfortunately, I believe it was not available here. I wish it had been though.

Originally Posted by henry k
Did that age of car have the later cruise controls ?
Jaguar started installing "new" design steering wheels with the first facelift in 2004.

henry k (05-24-2014)
Old 05-24-2014, 12:38 PM
Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Decoding VIN to determine model

Well, if decoding the VIN is authoritative, mine has a "51" in 6/7th positions, so I guess it is not a Sport model. Not that it matters much, its already low to the ground, and I like the single bit of chrome over the windows. So there.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: X Type Sport Model