Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X-Type Suspension Reconstruction

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 06:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default X-Type Suspension Reconstruction

Hi,

I have a 2004 X-Type with 48,000 miles on it which I inherited. The car was in Florida and it looks like a lot of the rubber suspension components along with the shocks are shot from the heat. I have some questions and would appreciate opinions.

Is it worth it to replace all of the suspension components or would it be better to just trade in the car for something new (actually used)?

I know that I need front and rear sway bar bushings but should I also change out all of the suspension components that have bushings? It looks like these would cost about as much as the car is worth.

The struts and shocks also need to be replaced. The car seems to have a regular suspension. Can the struts and shocks be replaced directly with the units used in a Sport Suspension?

Am I crazy for even contemplating doing this?

Thanks for any help.

Old 12-30-2015, 08:50 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm actually in the process of saving up to overhaul my entire suspension, springs, struts mounts, shocks etc.
I'd say it all depends on how much the car means to you. I personally love my car, so dropping money into it for new parts, maintenance, repairs and restoration work, doesn't bother me. also having this site to help guide and prepare other DIY guys like myself, really cuts down the labor expense of having a mechanic mess with my car.

Old 01-02-2016, 07:51 AM
Received 123 Likes on 117 Posts
Default Bushings

Originally Posted by jzanone
Hi,

I have a 2004 X-Type with 48,000 miles on it which I inherited. The car was in Florida and it looks like a lot of the rubber suspension components along with the shocks are shot from the heat. I have some questions and would appreciate opinions.

Is it worth it to replace all of the suspension components or would it be better to just trade in the car for something new (actually used)?

I know that I need front and rear sway bar bushings but should I also change out all of the suspension components that have bushings? It looks like these would cost about as much as the car is worth.

The struts and shocks also need to be replaced. The car seems to have a regular suspension. Can the struts and shocks be replaced directly with the units used in a Sport Suspension?

Am I crazy for even contemplating doing this?

Thanks for any help.
If you can turn a few wrenches then you can do it. Between ebay ,rock auto , and us guys here we can find, locate just about anything you need. I say give the kitty a chance to stretch being so young. You will enjoy her.
Some parts you can find cheap, others are not so much. We are all family here so welcome to the family.

Good luck,
The Dr

Old 01-02-2016, 06:58 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with CW and Doc.........get in there,get we done and stomp on it��

Old 01-02-2016, 10:23 PM
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I have never replaced suspension parts on my X-Type yet, but I have on other cars and you would be amazed at how easy it really is. Give yourself a weekend in case things go wrong, a buddy to help out, and some beer to help solve issues.

As far as prices, check out RockAuto they are usually the cheapest but include shipping. Amazon and eBay are also competitive with free shipping. Sometimes you can find sales on Jegs, Autoanything, and other sites.

Here are some RockAuto prices-
Bushings are $18 Rear and $31 Front
Shocks $73 rear and $83 front
Strut $63 front (fronts are struts while rear has shocks???)
Strut mount $53 (recommend changing this)
Control arm bushings $5-$20

I don't know what your budget is but some things you do not have to do all at once while others you should while you have things apart. Prices are not crazy, but do add up.

I couldn't find an X-Type video but here is an XK8 video. While things may be a little different the principles should be the same.

Oh and keep us posted, take pictures and video if you can

Old 01-03-2016, 02:42 AM
Received 286 Likes on 234 Posts

JZ: If you enjoy working on cars, or are willing to learn, fully agree that a 2004 X-Type with only 48K miles from Florida, not the salty north, is a gem of a car. It has a leaping Jag on hood, but many parts are common to Fords and inexpensive.

The two key questions that only you can answer are:

(1) How much work will you do vs. pay a mechanic?

(2) Do you want a highly reliable new car with factory warranty, etc., with considerably higher price tag? Or are you OK with a car that needs work every now and then, at considerably lower cost if you do much of the work yourself?

If you're game, this forum is exceptionally helpful, so roll-up your sleeves and we'll help you enjoy a great, fun ride.