X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

x-type TC and autotrans mating surface

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 12:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default x-type TC and autotrans mating surface

I am new to this forum as I just picked up an X-type with a bad engine. I am doing the engine swap (removed the subframe and engine/trans to do it on a bench) and could not get the engine to come out without having to loosen the transfer case to allow enough room for the flex plate to clear. Anybody else run into this problem.....TC must come out or loose to remove engine or trans?

So I was able to get the new engin in place and put the transfer case/transmission back together, but lost a lot of fluid which I assume is trans fluid from where the link shaft goes into the transmission.

Do i need to reseal this surface with RTV or something or is the seal good enough? Also, everything I read says there is only like 600 mL (1/2 quart) of fluid in the "sealed for life" TC. Does that fluid level set high enough to drain out of the link shaft area? Safe to assume the fluid I lost is ATF?

Any help would be much appreciated. What was supposed to be a quick engine swap is taking more time than I thought with nothing easy.