X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X-Type Transfer Case - Please Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 08:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: X-Type Transfer Case - Please Help!!

the warranty people are messing with you! who do you have for extended warranty?

Old 10-30-2007, 08:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is in the owners manual. Show it to them. They can't argue with the owners manual.

Tranmission is "sealed for life," per Jaguar Corporate.

When you get your transfer case replaced please keep the old broken unit. I would like to get it from you. I am willing to pay some $$$ and shipping to get it. I want to take it apart so I can find suppliers for the internals so rather than replacing the whole unit, we will be able to just replace the broken parts.

Old 10-30-2007, 11:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 44 Likes on 14 Posts

Who's the worthless *******s...your ex or the insurers? LOL! Either way, I know I replied in one of your other posts about this. Take a look over there as well. Try and keep that broken one though, because what tokay is trying to do would be benefitial to the Jaguar community. Let us know. Thank you.

Old 10-30-2007, 05:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  cars.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  7.4 KB

Hey Jag_grl make sure you argue your point as your are definitely in the right on this one. Do NOT let them wriggle out of their responsiblilities!![:@]
As Biggie says, although your transfer case is obviously damaged beyond repair it may still be beneficial for Tokay's project. So , please let him know if you are successful and are able to pass it onto him for shipping costs etc.

Good luck

Jim

Old 10-31-2007, 08:26 AM

Assuming you had the same typical transfer case failure as many people on this site your transfer case is probably damaged beyond repair, for now. That is why I need it when it is replaced. Currently, there are no manufacturers to source parts from because no one has taken one of them apart, taken measurements, and looked elsewhere for parts.

If I could get my hands on a broken transfer case, I could disassemble it and find sources for many of the internals- therefore making the transfer case a repairable unit, instead of replacing the entire thing. Many manufacturers claim that their parts are one off and cannot be replaced. This was the case with the Mitsubishi 3000GT and Dodge Stealth. The transmission was considered a sealed unit. If one was even slightly damaged, the only choice was to replace it. One person took the time to disassemble a unit and now every single internal part of the 3000GT/Stealth transmission is available- and many of the parts have been upgraded better than stock. I am trying to do something similar with the X-type.

I beg of you, if the transfer case is replaced under warranty, or replaced at all, please make an effort to retrieve the old unit. There are no core charges for replacement transfer cases, so there is no reason the mechanic should keep the unit or charge more for you keeping it. Simply post here and let me know if/when you are ready to part with it and I will purchase the broken unit from you.

I'm simply trying to bring another option to the table for the rest of us when the time comes for our transfer cases to break down. I feel your pain that you are one of the many with this problem, so if you can help me aquire your transfer case you may be helping out many people in the future.

Thanks and good luck!

And as I previously stated, I am willing to buy the broken unit from you and pay shipping. I can't offer a large amount for it since it is broken, but I am willing to help you out a little in return for the unit.

Old 11-01-2007, 07:36 AM

Bojangles- I am well aware of that site. The guy who made it is the person I bought my 3.0L engine from. The engine you see on that blog is the one waiting to drop into my X-type, after it is fitted with two turbochargers....

As you can see Steve Hannes has taken the transfer case apart, it isn't any more complicated than any other car. It is a matter of taking the parts to a professional transmission shop and having them sourced or manufactured.

Old 11-01-2007, 10:16 AM

From what I can tell by peoples descriptions and not actually opening the damaged units myself I would say the #1 cause of TC failure is a fluid leak. When the fluid runs low, the unit will heat up and the bearings will literally eat themselves apart. The car will drive fine with the bearings falling apart for a while unil one finally gives out completely. Once the bearing goes, it probably takes out everything near it.

Old 11-14-2007, 01:45 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks Jag_Grl! You truly are helping the community a whole lot. Jag_Grl...[sm=love.gif]

Old 11-14-2007, 03:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Ermmmm, shhhhh you're married [8D]

Old 11-15-2007, 08:55 AM
Veteran Member

My wife and I have an open relationship. There is catch though...it's only open on my end.

Old 11-19-2007, 01:56 PM

Shipping will be to Clearwater, FL 33765. Just let me know what you need and I'll get it to you.

Thanks so much!

Quick Reply: X-Type Transfer Case - Please Help!!