X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X-type Transmission Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 12:19 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default X-type Transmission Fluid

Hi, I have a 2002 X-Type 3.0 auto. I've had it since 2010 and bought it with 85k miles and it now has 145k miles. I performed the Transmission drain and fill procedure shortly after I purchased it and I am looking to do it again and couldn't remember exactly what Valvoline fluid I used, I just remember it was in a red bottle. After searching some, it seems a lot of people recommend different kinds, I've put 60k miles on mine without a problem. Anyways, in my recent searches I came across this and thought I would share. It suggests Maxlife ATF for the X-type but also has info for other models. Thanks

Attached Files
Old 02-07-2017, 05:17 PM
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

It's specifically mentioned so go for it. I use Redline ATF D4, but it's more expensive than other options and may go for something less expensive in the future. That being said I did not see our transmission listed on the Valvoline PDF spec sheet.
content.valvoline.com/pdf/maxlife_atf.pdf

Old 02-09-2017, 03:10 AM
XiZ
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm also planning on changing transmission fluid. I am gonna do it in a repair shop, bringing my own transmission fluid. Do you guys know how much it normally costs for labor?

Old 02-09-2017, 04:28 AM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by XiZ
I'm also planning on changing transmission fluid. I am gonna do it in a repair shop, bringing my own transmission fluid. Do you guys know how much it normally costs for labor?
This is not a conventional drain/fill operation. Repair shops may or may not do what needs done. Did you read the procedure for changing the fluid?

Honestly, this is SO easy and takes minutes. I did mine and I'm old.
Does not require a lift or anything.

Drain, fill, drive.
Drain, fill, drive.
Drain, fill, that oughta do it.

Old 02-09-2017, 06:59 AM
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by XiZ
I'd say plan on at least an hour of shop time, but you'd better ask first. However, you'll need to confirm that the shop is familiar with, and will do this job, as it's a little different. The DIY drain/fill steps you'll see on this forum are very easy. I've done the "3 times" method others have; by the third time I had it down pat and did it in about 15 minutes, tops - including removing the battery box. You do not have to put the car up either, once you know where the 24mm drain plug is. I'd say the hardest part is working with the fill port, which is a small diameter tube with rubber plug on top of the transmission. In first picture look to left of the the wiring harness plug, just below the large water pump pulley. Once you know where it is and how to work with it, the job is relatively easy. Spend $1 for a turkey baster - the tip of that is perfect size when you go to fill, and you'll avoid a spill mess. Idemitsu K17 is the fluid spec you want to cover, 3 1/2 quarts each time you fill. This fluid will also meet the Dexron III spec for power steering, so use the excess fluid to freshen up that system. And yet another use for the turkey baster!

Attached Thumbnails X-type Transmission Fluid-fill-plug.jpg   X-type Transmission Fluid-fill-plug1.jpg   X-type Transmission Fluid-atf-fill.jpg  

Last edited by swingwing; 02-10-2017 at 06:30 AM. Reason: Added words.
Old 02-09-2017, 07:19 AM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

The danger part of this is that if the shop isn't very well versed in servicing this Jag transmission, they might undo a bolt right next to the fluid level inspection area and if the wrong bolt is removed it disables the reverse gear internals in the transmission. If you have complete confidence in your shop then go right ahead. But I will echo others here that the DIY mechanic can easily do the drain/fill procedure right in your driveway if you choose.

Old 02-10-2017, 06:28 AM

Just FYI. I didn't have to remove the battery box to get that little rubber plug out. I was able to slip my hand down between the battery box and engine and 2-finger it out. This made the fluid change even easier. A piece of plastic electrical conduit I had laying around fit the head of the rubber plug so I used that to put it back in place and then pushed it in snug with a piece of wooden dowel .... I do NOT have teeny tiny hands. But I would do this again in a heartbeat. I wish all jobs were this easy!

Old 02-07-2020, 07:55 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Back in 2016 you posted X type automatic transmission fluid change. The fluid spec you said to use was Idemitsu K17 and Castrol Transmax Import Multi-Vehicle came up as a match for that spec. Do you have any comment on using the Castrol for fluid replacement? Also, you mentioned "three times" ...was that the number of time it takes to drain and fill before the fluid is considered changed? Much appreciated

Old 02-07-2020, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by tomgee111
Back in 2016 you posted X type automatic transmission fluid change. The fluid spec you said to use was Idemitsu K17 and Castrol Transmax Import Multi-Vehicle came up as a match for that spec. Do you have any comment on using the Castrol for fluid replacement? Also, you mentioned "three times" ...was that the number of time it takes to drain and fill before the fluid is considered changed? Much appreciated
The Castrol worked fine. Draining and refilling 3 times gets you to a pretty good percentage of new transmission fluid. I can't remember the exact number but I believe it was 85% or better.

Old 02-07-2020, 12:47 PM
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

In my posted pictures you'll see I used AMSOIL Signature Series Multi-Vehicle ATF. It covers the Idemitsu spec and many others. Doing three drain-and-fills made a huge improvement in transmission operation. I used the same fluid to clean up the power steering system since it met that spec as well. Wife and I really enjoyed driving the X Type the couple of years we had it. Peppy, easy to drive, really nice interior. Having four cars though meant having to do the "shuffle" way too much so we had to go down one car.

Old 02-07-2020, 04:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 709 Likes on 634 Posts

Particularly heed post #32 as well as reading the other embedded links =

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-183620/page2/