X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Fluid Change (w/pics)

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2017, 12:38 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by swingwing
Re replacing amount drained: What if level were low to start with? When I did mine I put in 3 1/2 quarts as recommended in another thread, which worked fine. There is another plug on the transmission used for checking fluid level, but I wasn't familiar enough with the car to find it.
Swing,
Where is the other thread? If you are draining and only 1 quart comes out at a time how are you able to add 3 1/2 quarts?

Thanks, Chris

Old 06-18-2017, 01:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 712 Likes on 637 Posts

I suppose that would be a thought. My first drain as detailed above was exactly 3 1/2 quarts (increasing a little with other drains). The "low to begin with" is a worry, the only way to be ABSOLUTELY sure, is to do the remove check level plug at appropriate temp, etc. procedure, which is where some have turned the wrong plug/bolt messing up the transmission and no reverse. It's a quandary, lmao!!

Official Procedure =
Transmission Fluid Level Check. Make sure J-Gate shift selector is in the Park position. With the engine running and the foot brake applied, move the J-Gate shift selector through ' P-R-N-D-4-3-2' and back to the ' P' position to circulate the automatic transmission fluid until the temperature reaches 30 to 40°C (86 to 104°F). When the automatic transmission fluid temperature reaches 35°C (95°F) check that the selector lever is in the ' P' position, raise the vehicle. With the engine running, remove the automatic transmission fluid level tube plug, Remove and discard the level plug and sealing washer. Use automatic transmission fluid WSS-M2C922-A1 or equivalent meeting Jaguar specification. If the automatic transmission fluid does not come out of the transmission fluid level tube the automatic transmission fluid level is insufficient. If this is the case add the automatic transmission fluid in 0.5 litre units into the automatic transmission fluid charging pipe until the automatic transmission fluid comes out of the automatic transmission fluid level tube. Remove the automatic transmission fluid charging pipe cap. Make sure the automatic transmission fluid temperature does not exceed 40°C (104°F). If the automatic transmission fluid temperature does exceed 40°C (104°F) stop the automatic transmission fluid level check and allow the automatic transmission fluid to cool until the temperature reaches 30 to 40°C (86 to 104°F). Allow the automatic transmission fluid to come out of the automatic transmission fluid level tube until the overflow stops at a temperature of no more than 40°C (104°F).If when the automatic transmission fluid level plug is first removed and automatic transmission fluid comes out of the automatic transmission fluid level tube, allow the automatic transmission fluid to come out of the automatic transmission fluid level tube until the overflow stops at a temperature of no more than 40°C (104°F). Install the transmission fluid level plug, Install a new level plug and sealing washer, Tighten to 15 NmInstall the automatic transmission fluid charging pipe cap. Lower the vehicle.

The following users liked this post:
whatshappening01 (09-28-2021)
Old 06-18-2017, 01:31 PM
Veteran Member
The following 2 users liked this post by Dell Gailey:
newtojags (04-05-2018), whatshappening01 (09-28-2021)
Old 06-18-2017, 01:47 PM
Veteran Member

Some discussion over the years on level plug as well as fill pipe. Some level checks are hex bolt, some are allen head, fill pipe is rubber bung, one person said he had a hex bolt for fill pipe (I thing he looked @ wrong thing personally). The hex/allen thing could sure be easy to screw up I think.

Here's one of the older, longer discussions (not the start 14 seconds procedure I used).

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ure-faq-43649/

bbzee (06-29-2017)
Old 06-18-2017, 04:03 PM
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr rx-7 tt
Swing,
Where is the other thread? If you are draining and only 1 quart comes out at a time how are you able to add 3 1/2 quarts?

Thanks, Chris
Chris, if you got only one quart of ATF out when you drained it I'd say it was way low to start with. In my opinion the transmission wouldn't work very (if at all) with fluid that low. All I can tell you is I did the drain/fill procedure three times, with 3 1/2 quarts added each time. I drove the car between each fluid service. The improvement in operation afterward was very satisfying. P.S. We would've loved to keep "Bridget" but had to thin the fleet by one as keeping four cars up is too much for me.

bbzee (06-29-2017)
Old 06-19-2017, 03:40 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by swingwing
Chris, if you got only one quart of ATF out when you drained it I'd say it was way low to start with. In my opinion the transmission wouldn't work very (if at all) with fluid that low. All I can tell you is I did the drain/fill procedure three times, with 3 1/2 quarts added each time. I drove the car between each fluid service. The improvement in operation afterward was very satisfying. P.S. We would've loved to keep "Bridget" but had to thin the fleet by one as keeping four cars up is too much for me.
I purchased the car new and it has had an easy life. I won't bother to drain and measure, I'll do the 3.5 quarts and check the level when I'm done.

So you sold the X-type?

Old 06-21-2017, 07:16 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

FYI: Chrisfix.com has a great video about transmissions. (Should you drain or flush.) Half way into this video he uses a 2003 x-type as an example of sealed transmission. Where he shows the location of the fill, drain and level check fittings.
Which should be helpful for everyone. I am still trying to decide what transmission fluid to use myself. Any feed back on long term use of the Castrol import multi trans fluid. Thanks

The following 2 users liked this post by bbzee:
newtojags (04-05-2018), whatshappening01 (09-30-2021)
Old 06-21-2017, 07:29 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by bbzee
FYI: Chrisfix.com has a great video about transmissions. (Should you drain or flush.) Half way into this video he uses a 2003 x-type as an example of sealed transmission. Where he shows the location of the fill, drain and level check fittings.
Which should be helpful for everyone. I am still trying to decide what transmission fluid to use myself. Any feed back on long term use of the Castrol import multi trans fluid. Thanks
While you're deciding....your transmission fluid is getting older.

The Castrol Import Multi meets the spec. I would not expect to hear any issues at all from using it.

bbzee (06-29-2017)
Old 06-29-2017, 03:54 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks to every one. For all the helpful advice. I used the castrol multi vehicle import Atf. I only had time to drain and refill last Sunday. (Fast pitch tournament with one of are daughters.) Anyway, 4 quarts out. Four quarts back in. I will do it again tomorrow. Already noticed it is a lot quieter. 145000 miles. Thanks to yard bird for the reminder to do it!

Old 11-03-2017, 10:01 PM
Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

I see you guy used turkey baster to transfer the fluid, how about a :Mitty Vac" pump but it's little expensive for a plastic pump, or the "Multi-Use" transfer pump, it's cheaper and do the job, both sale in Harbor Freight.

Old 11-04-2017, 12:36 AM
Veteran Member

We didn't use the Turkey Baster to transfer the fluid. It was Swingwing who I first seen suggesting to use it to go into the fill hole (where you remove the rubber bung) to make it easier to pour (using a standard funnel). It eliminates a lot of stress trying to see if you've got the gill spout in the little fill hole. Wrapping it in paper towels or shop rag, steadied it a little as well as taking care of any small spills.

I did use a transfer pump on the transfer case and differential though.

Old 07-25-2018, 06:04 PM
Veteran Member

Here is the link to the DEFINITIVE ANSWER on where the plugs are on Transmission and which one (and reason for it's location) is the reverse band bolt that screws your transmission if released.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ms-oil-199408/