Sponsored by:

X-Type v.s., S-Type

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 12:30 PM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 240 Likes on 207 Posts
Default X-Type v.s., S-Type

Seems like some folks on this list also own S-Types so I'm wondering how the two cars compare? The S is a little bigger but heavier so I figure the 3.0 S-Types would drive slower than the X-Type. But what about the V8 cars?

I always thought about upgrading to an S-Type but thought that it would have to have the bigger engine or I would be disappointed.

Just wondering how those two cars really compare.

Also, does anyone know if there is anything in common between the S-Type and the XF?
================================================
Jaguar: Grace, Pace, and Space - Sir William Lyons

Old 12-29-2011, 02:21 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

pab, the 3.0L cars are fairly equivolent when it comes to speed as you have a little bit less weight in the X-Type, but then you have the drag of the AWD system. Now, when you start trying to compare the 3.0L to the 4.0/4.2L motors, no comparison with acceleration. As for ride, the S-Type is going to beat the X-Type due to the added weight and the S-Type having a true Jaguar suspension where the X-Type has the Mondeo suspension. I think you will also find that the S-Type has a few more niceties to it compared to the X-Type.

As for comparing the S-Type with the XF, you are talking 2 different monsters there except for maybe some motor parts (only until 09, then the XF got a completely different engine than the S-TYpe had). That is about it.

Old 12-29-2011, 09:05 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

As far as I know the XF and S Stype are built on the same ford/Lincoln platform.

As for the x and the s type, having driven the S only once for an hour or so I felt the body of the X type seemed more rigid in that it cornered better than the S. the S is a much quieter ride, but the one I drove (07 with 30K miles) had more rattles than my 07 x.

If it were me, I'd skip the S ( styling for me) and go for the XJ of similar vintage. I prefer the x and XJ styling much better. However, if you like S styling....

Old 12-29-2011, 09:51 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

S type provies a much cushier ride but is RWD. That may be an issue bad weather. The V8 is nice but thirsty for gas.

Old 12-30-2011, 04:55 AM
Received 255 Likes on 143 Posts

I would bypass the S-Type and go with an XJ.

Old 12-31-2011, 12:52 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

thermo, are u saying i can replace my shock absorbers with that from a ford mondeo?

Old 12-31-2011, 03:14 PM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Smile Replacing parts

Originally Posted by baffourg
thermo, are u saying i can replace my shock absorbers with that from a ford mondeo?
There are quite a few Ford parts that can be used, ex the air cleaner, oil filter are just two I know of. The shocks maybe, thermo would know that.

Old 12-31-2011, 04:02 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

baffourg, you should be able to. Like Adam said, a lot of the parts are interchangeable, but not 100% of the parts. You would need to look online and see if you can find a parts store that would list the parts for the Mondeo and see if they use the same part number as that for the X-Type. I know the body has a lot of the same internal parts, the seats use the same mounting, but the Mondeo has clothe seats which the X-Type was never offered with clothe. So, do some looking and see what you can find.

Old 12-31-2011, 08:08 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ok, so i found this at the uk forum Jaguar Forum.co.uk • View topic - Koni. what do u guys think?

Old 12-31-2011, 09:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 173 Posts

X type any day, unless it is an S Type R. Supercharged FTW

Old 01-01-2012, 04:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

I like X Type better than rest of the fleet during its production . It may not become the most reliable car you could own but surely one of the cutest things you would come across your life

Old 01-01-2012, 05:06 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought the X type purely for its AWD.. Sadly the S type does not have this feature wonderful feature. However I am enamoured with the S Type R but with out the AWD feature it would be just another garage queen I am unable to drive when the snow flys. That said I can only hope that one day in the future either the XF or XJ are released with an AWD option. My X type is getting older with each passing day. It has been a wonderful car but as time goes by you do want to get into a newer vehicle..

I am in the market for a new vehicle now and the Carrera 4S is starting to call my name. Sadly I will have to get rid of a few friends so the car becomes a bit more occupant friendly in the rear seats.

Old 01-01-2012, 05:17 PM
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Much happier I went with an S-Type over an X. Everything about the interior screamed cheapness to me vs the S. Very happy with my decision to not buy an X.

On the flip side, I do actually like the exterior styling of the X-Type over the S-Type oddly enough.

Old 01-01-2012, 06:40 PM
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

The X-Type was developed in an effort to compete in the same market as the 3 Series BMW. To keep the cost down the Ford Modeo platform was used, although very much modified by Jaguar. As were the Ford 'Duratec' engines, which also started life in the Mondeo. The X-type was always destined to suffer Shakespeares 'slings & arrows' as a result of this, but was still the biggest selling Jaguar ever. Discontinued since 2009, and replacement not yet released. The X-Type actually came out originally as an all wheel drive 2.5L V6, but to get the price down further the FWD 2.1 (marketed as 2 Litre) V6 was introduced about 2 years later. The engine is actually built in Ford's Welsh engine factory, but by a dedicated Jaguar line where the Jag mods are made to the engine.

With AWD it will out handle an S, and to be honest, properly driven on winding roads even an XK. But that's about as far as one can logically take the comparisons. The S is finished to a much higher spec, it competes in an entirely different market sector. They are such completely different motor cars, that any further comparison is purely subjective. If you want a car for open road cruising, the S would be a better choice. If you want fuel economy, & ease of parking etc, then buy the X. If you want luxury and absolute comfort & quietness, go for the big Jags, particularly an LWB or Vanden Plas or Daimler. Also, remember that a bigger engine suffers less strain shifting the same sized body than its 'junior' sized counterpart. The first XJ6's (2.8L & 4.2L were a classic lesson in this. On the open road, they did use a bit less fuel, but around town they actually were thirstier. The real downside was the engine life. Because of the load, the 2.8L 'hammered' the bearings, in particular the big-ends. Failures after about 60,000 miles were common. The 2.8's only lasted in the market for a couple of years before Jaguar withdrew them from the sales list. (I don't think the USA ever got them).

I'm reminded of the story of the man who goes into the Rolls Royce Showroom, and asks about the fuel economy. To which the salesman replies "Sir, if you are worried about the fuel economy, you cannot afford the car".

And remember, Petrol (Gas, for you Yanks!!) is the cheapest part of motoring.

Cheers,

Languid

Old 01-01-2012, 06:43 PM

p.s. The performance difference issue is often addressed by the manufacturers' by changing gearbox/differential ratios to compensate for the weight differences between models.

Languid

Old 01-02-2012, 07:14 AM
Received 255 Likes on 143 Posts

Quote: With AWD it will out handle an S, and to be honest, properly driven on winding roads even an XK. If you want fuel economy, & ease of parking etc, then buy the X. If you want luxury and absolute comfort & quietness, go for the big Jags, particularly an LWB or Vanden Plas or Daimler.
AS we say in the US: "You hit the nail on the head", but you also drove it home.

My wife has an 04 X-Type which she got because of the AWD. I don't like the short squatty looks of it but I love the way it handles on windy roads. I passed a Boss Mustang on a 2-lane curvy road a few years back doing way above the posted 55.

I have an 04 VDP, which is more my style. I love the body shape and curves. Would you believe that I drive the speed limit when I am in the VDP?

Last edited by reyesl; 01-03-2012 at 12:01 PM.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

I have driven and inspected them both and the S-Type, particularly post 2003, is a far more refined driver and is better constructed.

The 4.2L V8 of the 2003 and later S-Type accelerates with gusto typically can do over 30 MPG on the highway!

That said, the X-type is a very good looking car and the AWD is a great feature.

Old 01-02-2012, 11:37 AM
Smile S versus X

I find the X a more attractive car then the S even thou they look almost the same. The AWD sold me on the X, as someone said it would be a garage queen in the winter. The company that owns Jaguar, an India home based company wanted to design a replacement for the X at about the same pricing. But this company has put some much money into Jaguar they back away from the idea. In fact there are some car critics out there saying that Jaguar might not be around in a couple of years. As they can't produce or sell enough cars to turn a profit. This comes from a article in Automobile Magazine I read a while back. Hope Jaguar can get on its feet again.

Old 01-03-2012, 06:46 AM

You could probably pass a "Boss" Mustang on a push bike on windy roads!!!

Cheers,

Languid

The following users liked this post:
aiko670 (01-17-2012)
Old 01-08-2012, 09:57 AM
Smile X versus S

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
I have driven and inspected them both and the S-Type, particularly post 2003, is a far more refined driver and is better constructed.

The 4.2L V8 of the 2003 and later S-Type accelerates with gusto typically can do over 30 MPG on the highway!

That said, the X-type is a very good looking car and the AWD is a great feature.
I find the X a more attractive car then the S. Because of the grille, I feel the X grille looks much better on a sedan than the traditional Jaguar grille on the S. This grille looks great on the X 120's and so forth, but on the sedan, I don't think so. Other than that the S is quite attractive and I guess its V8 is quite peppy.

Quick Reply: X-Type v.s., S-Type