X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X-type vs S-type

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 12:41 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default X-type vs S-type

Hello All I currently have around 15k to spend and i am looking at an 02 2.5 X-type and an 01 4.0 s-type. I like the x-type due to the awd and that is almost a must here in new england. I also like the looks of the interior. I like the s-type due to the v8 and the options available. The interior is cheap looking but the current model i am looking at has all the options i want including nav. I also like the exterior it isquite appealing to me.

As far as X-type reliability i have read accordring to car and driver, motortrend, edmunds etc. That the X-type tranny is prone to failure and I have also read many instances of the motor going before 40k miles!! Other then that i havent been able to find too many instances of electrical problems or gasket leaks. However with the x\-type it seems that its either a lemmon or a gem.

For the S-type i have found that it is more prone to problems in the pre-03 model year. I read that the ignition coils are prone to failure and are expensive to replace i read that the valve cover gaskets are also prone to failure and will corrupt the ignition coils and cause the spark plugs to become fowled and thus cause low compression in the motor.

I realize that this is an x-type forum and i will get a more biased opinion but i am just looking for some of the problems that are expected when purchasing an x-type. I would like to hear it from the horses mouth so to say. Thank you all for your help.

Old 06-09-2007, 01:00 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: X-type vs S-type

I have at one point owned both an X and an S-type, and i wud reccomend the X, especially as it is a little newer then the 01, and it has not had many faults. The S-Type that i had was an 03 R version, so i dont know if it is any similar to the 01. The only reason i wud choose the X over the S is that the X is economical, and the S loves to drink gas. However there have been a few cases on this forum where people have had a lot of problems with the X, but in all, a good solid car. Whatever you choose im sure you will be happy. Good luck

Old 06-09-2007, 01:11 AM

Thank you for the reply. I read that the 4.0 S-type will get around 17 city and 25 hw. I read that the 2.5 x-type will get 19-20 city and 27 on the hw. So MPG is simular enough. I am sure an S-type R got 12 mpg,,lol

Old 06-09-2007, 01:13 AM

lol, that was on good days when i was driving slow

Old 06-09-2007, 08:31 AM

haha, it been while since u make commentin grammar. Oh i remember the adverb post. Shame i still dont know what an adverb is. Care to educate?

Old 06-09-2007, 02:06 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Go with the X-Type.

The trannies are a weak point, but will do fine for everyday use.

Old 06-09-2007, 02:15 PM
one
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personal preference.

I like the X-type for it's agility. There is so much room in the S-type it feels like an LS model from Lexus and that to me is too boaty. I think the X-type is perfect for it's overall layout and size.

Old 06-09-2007, 04:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome peewee and its all a matter of what you want. To me the x is fast enough, looks good enough and is an awesome car. Every car has problems...and generally speaking the better you take care of it the better it will take car of you. I haven't heard of any problems with the motors on these cars whatsover...lately i've stumbled across problems with the transmissions...Jags in general have quirks but they've made me love the car more. Honestly though if you live in new england and are worried about the winter weather do we honestly have to answer the question? The x is awd vs. the rear wheel drive...soon enough biggie will get on here and he'll tell you what he thinks about his s-type. No biased here we all love jags but personally if winter driving is a necessity which you state it is go with the x-type but what are the details on the one you have found? What options do you want? There are many x's online for sale going for 15k and less...i'd go with the 3.0 and you won't get much worse gas mileage...here are some listings I found in massachusetts....

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...eadExists=true
http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...p;aff=national
http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...p;aff=national

Old 06-09-2007, 04:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

I'd go with the X Type .As for the trannies, I find Jaguar trannies almost bulletproof .I believe people don't know how to use it more correctly abuse their trannies .That's why you can possibly see and read the poor comments on the tranny .

Old 06-09-2007, 04:55 PM

ORIGINAL: cadillac

I'd go with the X Type .As for the trannies, I find Jaguar trannies almost bulletproof .I believe people don't know how to use it more correctly abuse their trannies .That's why you can possibly see and read the poor comments on the tranny .
UUUhhhhhhhhhhhhh... The early X autoboxes had quite a few issues... Most likely though, if the vehicle in question has over 30K miles on the clock, the major issues have probably been sorted out.

Old 06-09-2007, 08:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  T15ESSJAG5.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  6.3 KB

X any day of the week and twice on sunday......lol
As stated re the tranny issues....if it has 30k miles on it chances are most major issues have alreay been sorted. The X just seems classier and sexier.........also aimed at the younger market all together..............No offence to the S type owners..........but, the S types retro styling just doesn't do it for me.

Jim

Old 06-10-2007, 05:43 AM
Veteran Member

Don't let biggie hear what you said about the S Types lol

Old 06-10-2007, 12:16 PM

Quick Jim, use ure moderating powers and make it so big cant see ure last post, lol[8D]

Old 06-10-2007, 05:03 PM
Veteran Member

Name:  T15ESSJAG5.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  6.3 KB

SSHHHHH...............lol
Anyway..........biggies an honorary X man............he wants one really, unfortunatley he's stuck with the S........rofl
j/k mate

Jim

Old 06-11-2007, 12:11 AM

Thank you all for the replys. I will admit that the awd is what originally attracted me to the x-type. However, all the ones i have found in my price range have somwhat high mileage. I like the S-type due to the options available. The one i am looking at is an 4.0 2001 with navigation heated seats park assist etc. As compared to the x-types in my price range which are mostly the base model 2.5. I would prefer one with a 3.0 and heated seats. A sport model would be ideal with the 5spd. However, in my area jags are some what rare which is what drew me to them. I appreciate all your input

Old 06-11-2007, 01:22 AM
one

4.0???????

Old 06-11-2007, 06:18 AM

for what its worth. I have an X and am looking to get an S for the increased room. For the money you have I'd expect to be getting around an '04 model with some manufacturers wrrty remaining. Looked at a 2.7 dsl S on Friday for a little over GBP14000 with wrrty until end of year.

Also for info been driving a 2.5 X auto over the weekend and computer says under 24mpg. I am sure I get more than that out of my 2.0 but that is manual.

Old 06-11-2007, 04:27 PM
Veteran Member

Name:  AudiX6JYM-2.jpg
Views: 362
Size:  6.4 KB

I thought the X was quite big n roomy ..until I got the A6..

Jim

Old 06-11-2007, 05:23 PM
Veteran Member

Your new sig is cool lol

Quick Reply: X-type vs S-type