X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X type wont start after flat battery replaced

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 03:26 PM
Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by nickmcd
Hi graham thanks for that. Yes checked all cables all clean and tight. Also put a live feed direct to the starter and it turns over but wont fire up. Checked the fuel pump while turning over and there is no fuel feed either. Hence my belief it is the immobiliser. It not only cuts power to the starting system but also cuts power to the fuel supply.
Having put a lead to the starter and it turns the engine over then there is a communication problem between the Key and the GEM and ECM. The pump is not controlled by the ECM but the injectors are.
Perhaps as the vehicle has not been used for a time the key flap in the ignition has not made contact to tell the GEM that it is ok to start. Try spraying WD40 into the barrel and insert the key a few times without switching on and then try to start. Failing this then the keys may have lost code.

Roger

Old 05-08-2017, 03:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Happy days!!!!!!!!!

Problem solved.........
One dead starter motor....... It looked like the original from 2006 in all honesty.
After a bit of elimination investigation,
Battery at 12.8 volts and looked new, complete with a paper till receipt with a hand written 10/1/16 on it. It's fair to assume that was purchase date in fairness.
Then a gentle thump in the starter while ignition engaged caused a sickly grunt from the starter and a hum.
So of EURO Car Factors and £94 later a new starter was inserted into the miniscule place provided. After removing battery and tray for purchase and sticking the X Type on ramps for access.
Once in place, presto! JOB SOLVED!!!!!!!

Thanks to everyone for their input! Now a very happy X Type owner again.

Old 04-24-2018, 10:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nickmcd
Hi

Hope this is the right place to submit this. Although this appears to have been covered all over the net I can't find a definitive answer. I have an 05 reg 2.0d x type estate which was off the road for about 6 months during which time the battery went flat. I opened the door with the key in the lock and replaced the battery. Now everything lights up but no klick from the starter as if there is no feed to it. I have been advised it could be the immobiliser. Is there a way of resetting it at the car at home? If not how do I reset the immobiliser to the key. I have read it needs to go to Jaguar but of course I can't start it to get it there ??
The other option would be to fit a push button starter to provide a feed to the starter when the ignition is on, would this work? I have two keys and neither will start it now.

Old 04-24-2018, 11:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 708 Likes on 633 Posts

Button will not work if the column "antennae" is not recognizing the chip in your key.

Start by researching in this forum (not "all over the net") for your problem. There are many posts in various things why your kitty won't purr. Member "Thermo", "Avern", and other Jag gurus have some very helpful posts on step by step eliminations of non start.

Checking your OBD codes would be helpful also to see if there are any. Start with the easiest = check immobilizer switch, then fuses, then onward.

Old 04-25-2018, 05:57 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Timpson's can reprogramme some car keys; look for an outlet in a local
supermarket car park!!
https://www.timpson.co.uk/services/car-keys

Old 04-25-2018, 05:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 708 Likes on 633 Posts

He lives in the U.S.