X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

xtype central locking disaster! Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 04:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation xtype central locking disaster! Please help!

I wanna start off by saying I'm new to the forum and I've desperately have looked throughout all the posts i can find relating to my problem but yet to have find an answer! So i apologize but im going to be very descriptive and I've done some hands on work myself on trying figure out whats going on, so i have some info that may help shed light on the situation. and I own a 03 2.5 xtype

yesterday while i was driving i noticed that my doors were autolocking while they were already locked Which was really odd. After a a few minutes of that the "boot open" light came on so i pulled over to go close it. about a minute of more driving the trunk popped open again. I pulled over closed it and continued driving. Now get this, when i pulled off the doors autolocked. and this time while they were attempting to lock while already locked the car starting honking 2 times everytime the car tried locking itself. and yet again the trunk popped open....

This time when I went out to close the trunk YET again, I closed the drivers door when i exited. When i went to go back in all the doors were locked with the key in the ignition car running and all!! which it has never done before. Not having a spare key i waited 3 hours for a locksmith to come and open it...but luckily i had just filled the tank!! When I finally got home, I also noticed that my trunk release button wasnt working anymore! and it doesnt even make a sound when i press it, But my key fob is fully operational. all the functions work.

Please if anyone knows the answer to my problem please help me out! Im in total darkness on how to go about this...

The following users liked this post:
Steven Palmer (06-07-2017)
Old 02-02-2015, 04:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Welcome to the forums, Fish. Lots of good information and friendly people always willing to help.

I don't know that I can really help you as I can't say that I ever heard of something similar happening to anyone else on here. Have you checked your key fob that maybe some moisture got in there and some of the buttons are shorting and they are constantly trying to lock/unlock the doors and /or trunk? Might be worth trying to open it up and take a look. Other than that nothing even close comes to mind to try. Hopefully someone else will chime in soon.

Hope you get it resolved soon as it really sounds like a pain, especially with the way the weather is now.

Old 02-02-2015, 05:03 PM

Thank you for the welcome Alfadude, I know its something that hasnt really popped it. Theres a ton of things relating to individual issues but no disscussion about all of them at the same time =/ Funny thing is I was on my way home from purchasing a battery for my key fob. so it wasnt even functional at the time of the incident. But when i got home and replaced the battery the little toggle piece of the alarm button wasnt attached. I just kinda held it in place when i put it back together and it worked fine. so I dont think that may be the problem. Although you are right about the weather we did have a blizzard yesterday -.- maybe moisture got into some type of connector?

Old 02-02-2015, 06:18 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

It really sounds like you have an erratically functioning keyfob since all the weird things that happened are related to keyfob functions. You should double check the battery and make sure you got the right one. A couple of other things - does your car have a remote start? Also, if you bought the car used, it may be that the old keyfob is in there somewhere causing problems.

Short of that, your car may be possessed by an evil spirit. Then you will have to find a Jaguar exorcist and have an exorcism performed.

Old 02-02-2015, 07:44 PM

Double checked the battery model 2032 which was the same one that was in there before. It make sense that the key fob should be taken into consideration but the thing is it was dead for a month before the car started acting up. i replaced the battery basically right after. and by the old key fob being in there you mean like a spare that was misplaced in the car? maybe thats the evil spirit crying to be found lol oh and no remote start

Old 02-02-2015, 08:22 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes, look around the car for the spare, you never know. Especially that space between the shift console and the driver's seat, where everything seems to fall and never be found again.

Old 02-02-2015, 09:26 PM

man Ill try anything at this point,

Old 02-02-2015, 09:30 PM

lol and i just found out if i unlock the doors manually on the driver side while im driving and hold it so the lock cant lock when it tries to. after about 2-4 attempts it gives up. so the auto lock and honks stop. I dont know what that exactly means but a bit more info to the matter. [trunk still has mind of its own]

Old 02-02-2015, 11:52 PM
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Last time I checked with the key in the ignition the remote doesn't work.

Old 02-03-2015, 08:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

What happens if you totally remove the battery out of the fob and drive the car? You still get those issues? If it is fob related not having it send a signal at all would resolve the issue I would think. Maybe the old battery wasn't dead, but the fob wasn't working because of that toggle piece or something else inside there and somehow something started shorting it on your ride the other day.?

Also, you mention the autolocking. Are you talking about that feature where the doors automatically lock once you start driving your car or do you mean the button on the driver's door? If it is the former try disabling the autolock feature. Instructions can be found in the FAQ section at the top of the page. Just trying to see if there is any change at all in your symptoms.

Old 02-03-2015, 11:08 AM

no dice=/ I went out this morning with no battery in the the key fob. unlocked the door and tried the disabling the autolocks[and yes it is the feature when you pull off the doors will lock themselves] it was successfully i believe because the car honked when i did the last step. but sadly when i pulled off all prior symptoms still exist. but this time the trunk was already popped open when i unlocked the door manually.

is there some type of module,fuse or connector that is linked to all these locking systems?

Old 02-03-2015, 03:12 PM

Yes, there's a GEM module in the passenger foot area, right next to the ecu. If you can't find it I can take pictures of where it is just let me know. It controls everything that you are having trouble with and a lot more. Swapping it out is fairly easy. 10-20 min job.

Looks like this:

Old 02-04-2015, 05:23 AM
Received 183 Likes on 149 Posts

My money is on the module.

try locating the module the electrical drawing says its behind the instrument panel right hand side and remove the Brown plug ip5 (the one at the end)
this plug has the remote antenna and the door ajar switch connection the trunk release (make sure one of your back seats is down so you can reach the emergency release for the trunk) along with other things.
i have added the drawing for you.
let us know what you find.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
lock.pdf (1.48 MB, 281 views)
Old 02-04-2015, 06:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,914 Likes on 1,665 Posts

Never, ever, leave the keys in the car and shut the door.
That way lies madness.
And expense.

Old 02-04-2015, 06:58 AM

Took some pictures so it would be easier for you do find. (I know my interior is reaaaally dirty and needs some serious cleaning)

Old 02-05-2015, 11:44 AM

Thank you everybody!! Yous guys have been really helpful! I'm going go fiddle with the gem module. I also have sourced out 2 Xtypes at my somewhat local salvage yard. Hopefully there's an extra gem module there. I will post back later today with an update on the scenario! And yes I will never leave my keys in the car again lol