X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

yes, another SAt Nav Disc question , but I have a good reason...

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 06:32 AM
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Default yes, another SAt Nav Disc question , but I have a good reason...

Hello everyone,

I really didn't want to start another thread on the navigation disc topic, but the 'How-To' link is broken. I received a nice response from our Admin that they are working on it, but that it might take some time as they have other priorities.

And I was able to find some threads using a regular search here from the years 2008 to 2011 and wonder if the advice is still current, or if newer info is available.

When I bought my car it was missing the Nav disc. So I'm trying to find a reasonably priced disc to use to test it, and hopefully one that is current enough to actually use.
I'm getting mixed information from the internet on which disc part numbers will work in a 2005 model car. (This is why I went to our 'how-to' section)
For example, will the '6w83' series of part numbers work, etc.

So I'm looking for some recent and current information from any member here who has already determined which disc part numbers are compatible, or has a source of inexpensive downloads or test copies. I don't even know if the Nav system works on my car so I really am not ready to pay the $200+ to get the most recent set from Denso. I'm interested in the East Coast of U.S. maps.

I'm about to pay the dealer to replace the oil pan gasket (ouch) so I'm in no position to spring extra money for a new set of discs.

Any advice and replies would be appreciated and welcomed.

Tom in Maine

Old 12-09-2013, 03:03 PM
Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

I was looking for new disc without paying dealer prices.

During an internet search i found a company called satnav-update.com, they are in the UK as am I and they charge £32.00 delivered instead of £180 at Jaguar.

Maybe there is a similar company in the US that can do the same deal

Last edited by mikesmith2; 12-09-2013 at 03:08 PM.
Old 12-09-2013, 03:09 PM

Here is a link to the North America disc

Jaguar sat nav North America DVD 2011-12 for X XJ S Type

Old 12-10-2013, 12:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 266 Likes on 210 Posts

The website mikesmith2 posted is clearly selling a pirate copy of the disc, which is why it's so cheap...

If you're not technologically impaired (), consider downloading & burning (page 10 has torrent link too apparently) the disc. That way you're at least not giving money to someone who didn't do anything to earn it.

Old 12-10-2013, 11:28 AM

The company is VAT registered, also if it was pirated software then I think the dealers would have reported the site and sought redress from lost sales etc.

I have nothing to do with the company except being a happy customer

Old 12-10-2013, 12:07 PM
Veteran Member

I'm curious as to how exactly they'd obtain genuine discs to sell for such low prices when the shop of Navteq themselves is selling the discs for 200-300€ each? Of course, I agree, nobody in their right mind would pay the price of a high-end TomTom unit with lifetime map updates for a year-old map update to a 10+ year old system. Well, at least I wouldn't, so I'm not a potential customer anyway.

There are plenty of sellers like satnav-update.com on the internet, and taking down a website isn't always simple and quick. Doing so might not even be worth the effort.
Jaguar sat nav disc updates 2012
2012 JAGUAR DENSO S-Type XJ XJ8 XJR X-TYPE

Well, do as you see best. I would rather keep the money and download the disc for free from a source verified by many forum-goers (on gpsunderground.com) than send money to someone who is turning a profit by selling low-priced (and hopefully at least properly made as the discs contain firmware updates and could at worst brick your system) copies of something he had no hand in creating...

Old 12-10-2013, 01:05 PM

In the UK nearly all torrent sites are now blocked by the ISP, so your option isn't viable for us.

Also torrent files can harbour viruses. I am speaking from experience here.

Old 12-10-2013, 01:57 PM
Veteran Member

The first post of the thread on gpsunderground has a usenet link as well. I just pointed out the torrent option as it takes somewhat less effort.

Torrents can most certainly have viruses, however, if you download a torrent that contains a disc image file and then burn that to a DVD there is no virus to be had anywhere. Most of them require you to run at least some executable anyway, I've been at this for about a decade and haven't had a single issue with a virus (that I'd know of, eh?). Also, downloading a disc image of a satnav DVD for a fairly uncommon car is very different from downloading something like a cracked copy of Windows, computer games or Office/Adobe suites which are of course a far more tempting target for spreading malware.

If the bought disc works for you, that's great. For the same price however I bought a a bunch of blank discs and one of the DVD writers specifically recommended by gpsunderground people for burning satnav-compatible discs (as satnavs are apparently quite a bit more picky than media players or computer drives). Of course it took some doing to download the image from usenet and to burn the disc, but I felt more confident in putting something self-burned in the DVD drive rather than something I got from someone I don't even know. Especially as my genuine disc was older and thus I knew the new disc would update the firmware.

Old 12-10-2013, 02:16 PM

You have some very valid points.

But I think for most people being able to buy one is the easier option.

I will have a look at doing it your way for future reference.

My local dealer told me that the 2011/2012 is the last disc available for the X type.

Last edited by mikesmith2; 12-10-2013 at 02:20 PM.
Old 12-10-2013, 02:46 PM
Veteran Member

True, buying is easier, I'd just be worried of the potential risks involved. Not that the other method is risk-free either, of course.

Yeah, it's the last one. There is of course always the possibility that someone manages to crack the data structure of the disc (highly unlikely though) that would allow us to add later map files from discs for other compatible Denso satnavs, but that is more or less just wishful thinking.

It's pretty good that the satnav got one last map update 11 years after it was introduced. After all, it's as old as Windows XP! Well, at least in my case that is, but someone with a 2009 X-Type would probably feel disappointed as in their case it was supported only for 3 years.

Old 12-10-2013, 08:32 PM

Update on my original post...
I bought an inexpensive 2005 release date OEM factory disc - to test my Nav DVD player.
The module isn't functioning - it has 12v and 5v power to the module but does not work at all.
Now that darkness and cold weather has firmly arrived here in Maine I'll have to put off trouble-shooting that system until I have daylight and a warmer day to poke around at all the fiber optic and related systems. (all 50 or so fuses in both panels are all good - checked twice)

Thanks for adding to the thread with the replies, offers for discs and info related to the disks.
Tom

Old 12-14-2013, 05:33 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi,

the cheapest ORIGINAL Denso disc for 2011/2012 for UK is at £145 (inc. VAT).

Has anyone found a cheaper ORIGINAL Denso disc for 2011/2012, please?

Thanks in advance,

Alexandre

Old 12-28-2013, 10:00 AM
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

I'm curious as to how exactly they'd obtain genuine discs to sell for such low prices
Perhaps they are not genuine (original ) disks :-)

My understanding is that they are supplying a back up disk on the understanding that you already have a genuine original disk.

Words to that effect may be in their web words.

An interesting approach to selling

Old 12-28-2013, 11:09 AM
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Exclamation

For testing the nav...I will give you an original disk...year 2000-2001 for the cost of shipping, and the padded envelope. It came with my 2003 X-Type. I have since upgraded...so Email me at boobea@nvbell.net. It is the USA disk, and when I upgraded, it was working fine. I would think it will be what you want, but the option is certainly yours. Offer is for anyone needing a disk to try. Don

The following users liked this post:
JimC64 (12-28-2013)
Old 12-28-2013, 11:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Very Kind offer Don, thank you.

Hopefully the OP sees this and will take you up on it.

Old 12-29-2013, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by JimC64
Very Kind offer Don, thank you.

Hopefully the OP sees this and will take you up on it.

Ah, the beauty of automatic subscriptions! I received an e-mail that this thread of mine had some activity and here I am.
Thank you for the offer of a DVD Don, it is very much appreciated. In one of my replies here I mentioned that I had just purchased an older version of DVD and it revealed that my trunk module has lawyered up and refusing to talk or cooperate. So I am all set there.

I see that the 'How to' link is still broken in the FAQ's, so there might be some folks doing an alternative search and will come across our replies. If someone does take you up on the offer we will have to make sure that it is clear the disc is no longer available or both of us will be getting e-mails about it for years.

I am still waiting for some warm weather and guidance on how to proceed with troubleshooting my DVD module. Stuart (a regular here) has kindly replied and I'll be following up on a tip he has provided. Of course anyone is welcome to suggest methods to isolate and confirm the fault in that system. The main objective of mine is to avoid taking the car to the dealer. Although I trust their ability to repair such things, I sensed that they are revenue-poor due to a lack of new vehicle sales and are making it up by racking up diagnosis/labor hours on each car brought in for service.
Plus I have a great desire to take things apart and fix what I can since I was about 10 years old. I hope to put this navigation DVD module into service again, instead of into the trash.

Once again, thanks for all the offers, replies and encouragement.

Tom