XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

is the 35t R-sport the only drivers car?

Old 05-28-2016, 07:36 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default is the 35t R-sport the only drivers car?

I have only driven the XE 35t R-sport with adjustable dampers. It was the only one available for driving at the dealer a few weeks ago and it was a Mexican spec car.

Is there anything else in the lineup in the US that would match the 35t R-sport in terms of seat comfort, steering, and handling? I like the V6, but I'm not as motivated by power as I am by comfort/handling and I want to see if there is a way to save some money.

If not, I think I will bite the bullet and get the 35t R-sport.

Thanks.

Last edited by anoop; 05-28-2016 at 10:30 PM.
Old 05-29-2016, 02:52 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

25t R-Sport w/ adjustable dampers should handle even better than the 35t, because the 4cyl is a lot lighter than the 6 in the 35t. Better fuel economy as well.

Tho, having had a 4 cyl in my 2013 3 series - and now a 6 in my 2016 XF - I would NOT want to go back to 4. Even w/ the XFs quiet tuning, the engine note and power is sooooooooo much better than any 4 cyl.

Old 05-29-2016, 03:17 PM

Thanks. I looked into it a bit more and it looks like the 25t cannot be had with sport seats. For that, one has to get R-sport which means either the 20d or the 35t. Since I don't like diesel (and really the price differential is not that much), that leaves only the 35t.

I am waiting to see a 35t in US spec before I decide to purchase.

I go back and forth on weather this car enthusiast thing is worth it anymore, because it gets pricey very quickly. These days it looks like you need $50K+ to get something that drives well and is comfortable.

Old 05-29-2016, 03:38 PM

Wow! When I was building one a few months ago you could definitely get a 25t in R-Sport. Weird!

Jaguar keeps changing things with the models and lineup, and its a bit hectic. Seems like they are still trying to shuffle the range into the right lineup that attracts interest and gets profits.

If the non-sport seats in XE are same as in my XF, I find them very comfortable and nicely supportive.

My BMW has M-Sport package and had the sport seats most journalists consider "best in class" and being honest I find little difference. Granted, I am a larger guy so I fit nicely. If you are small waisted or very petite you may find yourself bouncing around. Only thing I miss from the BMW is the adjustable thigh support extender. Very handy that was.

I think you will find that even a Non-Sport model XE will handle better than a Sport-Model BMW (steering feel, agility, sense of being nimble, etc). The chassis is seriously that good.

unless you will be driving the car hard in some seriously shoddy roads, I feel like adjustable dampers are unnecessary, something to consider when alloting funds on options.

Drive both and see what ya like!

Old 05-29-2016, 03:50 PM

Thanks for the feedback.

I tried the seats in the 25t (just sat it in, did not actually drive the car) when I went in to drive the 35t. I did not like the seats. But the 35t was a Mexico-spec car so it had alcantara inserts. I'm wondering if that had anything to do with the comfort level.

It's interesting you mention that it doesn't have the adjustable thigh support. The sales guy told me the US spec car would have it. So much for sales people. I currently have a 328i M-sport but I find the seats are not that comfortable. (I have some lower back problems.) So far, I have found the seats in the Volvo S60 T6 R Design the best of the lot...those are amazing seats that just take the pressure off the back. After test driving that car, I did not like getting back in the BMW. But the fun-to-drive factor was totally missing in the Volvo (as expected).

Originally Posted by TheFleetingFox
unless you will be driving the car hard in some seriously shoddy roads, I feel like adjustable dampers are unnecessary, something to consider when alloting funds on options.
Roads out here are pretty bad. I sometimes think I'm driving on the moon . I have dynamic dampers with my 328i M-sport but even in comfort mode it feels pretty harsh. In comparison, the 35t that I drove with adjustable dampers felt a lot better in comfort mode (probably because the Jaguar had go-flat tires vs run flats on the BMW). Dynamic dampers are only a $1000 option, so at least for me, that's a no-brainer.

Last edited by anoop; 05-29-2016 at 04:02 PM.
Old 05-29-2016, 06:33 PM

As far as I know, and have seen - Only R-Sport gets adjustable/extendable thigh supports. Its a part of the Sport Seat design.

Again tho, It does not seem like R-Sport includes a sport suspension that differs from the regular cars, so the experience differs in cosmetics only - seats, bumpers, and badges seem about it.

IMO the Jaguar will drive better than the BMW, but be less supportive than BMW's seats. Jaguar will blow the Volvo out of the water in performance, but have less comfortable seats.

Personally, I would get a nicely optioned 35t Prestige w/ Vision Package and Adjustable Dampers. Would be just about 50K for a great performance car that includes a lot of luxuries likely absent on your BMW.

My 3 series stickers for $48,000. M-Sport, Navigation, and Heated seats were the only options.

A $50,000 XE prestige would get you: 6 cyl engine, leather seats, mood lighting, back up camera, LED lights, blind spot, parking sensors, etc. For just $2,000 more, its a no brainer to my brain.

If you don't want to spend that much - Get an IS200t w/ F-Sport (my GF has this car right now, its actually really good (just slow)) for $43,000 and have all the same features and almost as good dynamic handling but with much slower acceleration.

The following users liked this post:
anoop (05-29-2016)
Old 05-29-2016, 06:49 PM

As far as I know, and have seen - Only R-Sport gets adjustable/extendable thigh supports. Its a part of the Sport Seat design.
Yes, what I meant was the Mexico-spec R-sport did not have the adjustable thigh support, but that the sales guy said the US spec car would have it. Good to know the sales guy was right!

Again tho, It does not seem like R-Sport includes a sport suspension that differs from the regular cars, so the experience differs in cosmetics only - seats, bumpers, and badges seem about it.
Good to know.

IMO the Jaguar will drive better than the BMW, but be less supportive than BMW's seats. Jaguar will blow the Volvo out of the water in performance, but have less comfortable seats.
Hard to tell how the seats will do over a long drive, but the Jaguar's seats did feel better to my back than the BMW's over the short drive (about 10 min).

Personally, I would get a nicely optioned 35t Prestige w/ Vision Package and Adjustable Dampers. Would be just about 50K for a great performance car that includes a lot of luxuries likely absent on your BMW.

My 3 series stickers for $48,000. M-Sport, Navigation, and Heated seats were the only options.

A $50,000 XE prestige would get you: 6 cyl engine, leather seats, mood lighting, back up camera, LED lights, blind spot, parking sensors, etc. For just $2,000 more, its a no brainer to my brain.
Mine was about $45K MSRP (it has nothing other than lighting, DHP, driver's assistance), but BMW's sell for about 7% below MSRP, so I paid around $42K. With the Jaguar, there does not appear to be any room for negotiation right now. One of the sales people said there might be wiggle room come Fall since they might have more inventory. At 51K, the 35t R-sport with dynamic dampers would have a lot more for sure, including but not limited to longer warranty and free maintenance.

If you don't want to spend that much - Get an IS200t w/ F-Sport (my GF has this car right now, its actually really good (just slow)) for $43,000 and have all the same features and almost as good dynamic handling but with much slower acceleration.
I have been thinking about Lexus, but have been hesitant to try one because the IS350 is the only one that seems to have good reviews. But I think I should give it a shot. How's the steering compared to Jaguar? If I didn't care about steering, I am strongly tempted to go Volvo because of the seats.

Old 05-29-2016, 07:12 PM

The XE 35t that I drove felt like a race car compared to my GFs IS (she actually has the 250, not 200t).

But both cars have chunky A-pillars that make seeing around curves/corners a tad annoying.

But the seats in the Lexus are downright luxurious - nicely support and heated & cooled. Probably as good a hybrid of the Volvo/BMW seats as you will find. Probably a more spacious back seat than the XE as well.

But the IS250/200 both feel more Camry than sports car. IS has a nice sport suspension, but the steering is light in all modes - its sharp, but 0 road feel. You feel more of that camry float in it than the "hug the road" sensation in the BMW (which is even better in the Jaguar).

Thankfully this segment is REALLY crowded right now, and the only cars I would suggest avoiding is the C-Class because since moving them to USA build - the reliability is **** **** ****. Take a look on MB world and you will see 200 pages of complaints from Nav systems that freeze, to Keys that randomly stop working, to glue bleeding out of the seats when you use heated seats, etc.

Old 05-29-2016, 08:45 PM

The XE 35t that I drove felt like a race car compared to my GFs IS (she actually has the 250, not 200t).

But both cars have chunky A-pillars that make seeing around curves/corners a tad annoying.

But the seats in the Lexus are downright luxurious - nicely support and heated & cooled. Probably as good a hybrid of the Volvo/BMW seats as you will find. Probably a more spacious back seat than the XE as well.

But the IS250/200 both feel more Camry than sports car. IS has a nice sport suspension, but the steering is light in all modes - its sharp, but 0 road feel. You feel more of that camry float in it than the "hug the road" sensation in the BMW (which is even better in the Jaguar).

Thankfully this segment is REALLY crowded right now, and the only cars I would suggest avoiding is the C-Class because since moving them to USA build - the reliability is **** **** ****. Take a look on MB world and you will see 200 pages of complaints from Nav systems that freeze, to Keys that randomly stop working, to glue bleeding out of the seats when you use heated seats, etc.
The 200t will probably address the slowness concerns of the 250; it also has an 8-speed vs the 6-speed in the 250.

I agree it's crowded and there are many options, but this only causes analysis paralysis and leads to the paradox of choice, where It increases the probability I will be unhappy no matter which way I go. Look up the Ted talk on Paradox of Choice.

It's also a bit like compact digital cameras before people completely gave up on those and just started using their phones instead. Too many choices, all of them mediocre.

The new C coupe may be an option since I think those are still being built in Germany and it's supposed to drive better than the sedan, but I don't like the rear styling.

Really, the 35t R-sport is the first in production car I have driven where I was wow'ed by the steering and "planted" feel that inspires confidence. It reminded me of my E46 2003 BMW 325i, something I have missed sorely since moving to the F30.

Old 05-29-2016, 08:53 PM

I tried the 200t in the RC200 and it felt quicker than the IS250, just a more gutsy take off from standstill that is really the bane of the 250 engine.

Once the 250 was boiling, taking it down a gear elicits a nice engine note and the power comes on nicely (nothing quick, but it works).

The RC200t deleted that engine note and just gives it a bit more go.

Either 25t or 35t XE will indeed feel like a sports car compared to most anything in the class.

Before getting my XF - my options were a C-Class Coupe, RC 350 F-Sport, or wait for the XE.

The RC isn't leasing as well as it was this time last year (seriously - you could get the car for $0 down $400 a month), and the C-Class Coupe is now ~ $55,000 well equipped. I Couldn't wait anymore and looked at the XF and found a insane deal - couldn't be happier. I think Jaguars are the best "drivers" car in each segment right now, though other brands might do the luxury bit a little better.

Old 05-29-2016, 09:32 PM

I don't lease because I drive too many miles. My current car purchased 10/2014 already has 36k miles on it. I just need to decide if I'm going to keep the car and get an extended warranty or get something else that drives better.

I was hung up on a 3 pedal car the last time around plus I was trying to stay under $40k. Staying under $40k didn't work, and now it looks like I may have to up the budget even more. Bummer, I'm normally very careful with spending.

Last edited by anoop; 05-29-2016 at 11:02 PM.
Old 06-02-2016, 07:17 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, just took delivery of mine so I'm totally biased and will have to say a resounding yes!!!

Old 06-02-2016, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by nhpip
Well, just took delivery of mine so I'm totally biased and will have to say a resounding yes!!!
Do you have pictures to prove it?

(I see you have a separate thread. Thanks!)

Last edited by anoop; 06-02-2016 at 07:30 PM.
The following users liked this post:
nhpip (06-02-2016)