XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

About SatNav

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 12:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question About SatNav

Hey !

So I hesitated quite a bit before ordering about getting the satnav or not.
Decided to go whitout since I was not convinced during my test runs... Not that it was bad but not worth the price of the option.

Now that my order is in, I was wondering wether it was possible to "install" onboard satnav afterwards ? I'm not regretting my choice, mind you I'm just curious : since the touch screen will be there anyway isn't it just a matter of adding a software to the car ?

It is extremely possible this is a stupid idea but I couldn't find any answer on the internet and I don't see myself asking this kind of thing to my dealer

Old 09-12-2015, 01:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

I'm sure it's the same system as in the F-Type and other current Jaguar models. It is not great, but not substantially worse than in any other current car model. I had no choice because it's standard in all F-Types, but I never use it. I would have loved the option to delete it.

The navigations apps (like Waze), available for today's smartphones, are far superior to any car navigation system, and the good ones have 1000's of instant user reports to update traffic conditions. Those reports are used to route one around traffic congestion.

I've tested both the car system and Waze on my smartphone by running both at the same time on many trips. In my very congested area around Washington, DC, 75% of the time, the route the car system generates, is very different than the one produced by the Waze smartphone app. And Waze produces a shorter trip over 90% of the time.

Old 09-13-2015, 08:40 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,824 Likes on 3,143 Posts

luc891, for most of the SatNav systems out there, you need to add on modules to the radio to get it to pick up the GPS signals. So, you would need to investigate what additional modules/wiring might be needed. I am sure the radio has the programming in it already (common trend in the automotive industry at this time), but you will be missing a few "black boxes" that will require installing.

Old 09-15-2015, 12:30 AM
Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

You can buy the Sygic nav application as an InControl app. I don't now how good Sygic is, but as an InControl app the integration with the car's toushscreen should be pretty good.

https://www.sygic.com/car-navigation/features

As a UK buyer the Jaguar SatNav comes as standard. I would rather have had the option of opting out of the Jag system

In the UK you can buy the Sygic app standalone for as little as 25 GBP for the world map. The price (from Jaguar) for the Sygic InControl App is about 60 gbp - I do not know what map that gives you, but I would guess Europe.

Sorry I could not give you more info, it's something I came across whilst looking generally at InControl, rather than specifically researched.