XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

Idea: Removable Wing for XE?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2017, 10:54 AM
Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Idea: Removable Wing for XE?

Looking at the project 8 car it's clear they needed to add a big wing on the back of the car to add down-force at higher speeds.

But one of the things I love about this car is its lines, and I don't drive on the 85 mph tollways or racetrack except on the weekends?

I looking for a modular wing with Tie-Fighter ends, pref. carbon fiber that I can easily bolt on and off for the weekends, with a nice finished pair of shoes that will not look ugly with the wing out....and with adjustable downforce...

Anyone know of such a wing system? Does such a thing even exist?

Old 05-31-2017, 09:44 AM
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Well, you would have to drive your XE at 10/10's on the track to get the benefit of that wing.
It mostly helps at very high-speed corners. But it represents a tradeoff between better acceleration vs higher cornering speed.

You could definitely search "Pure" spoilers. I believe all of them are bolt on's. They are cheap at around 300$ but not very aggressive.

My personal recommendation would be to add several $$ to that 300$ and get a super performance summer tires. They will give you much better grip and faster lap times than any type of rear wing.

The following users liked this post:
Austin7 (05-31-2017)
Old 05-31-2017, 11:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by Demetre Gvaramia

My personal recommendation would be to add several $$ to that 300$ and get a super performance summer tires. They will give you much better grip and faster lap times than any type of rear wing.
Agreed. $1200ish should get you a set of P Zero Nero, Pilot Sports, etc... Be like night and day compared to the all seasons.

The following users liked this post:
Austin7 (05-31-2017)
Old 05-31-2017, 12:29 PM

Thanks Guys!

I've already upgraded the rears to Pilot SS, love 'em, made a huge performance difference vs. the stock Conti's for sure. I'll also be getting the fronts when I get my lowering springs installed...

I'm probably one of the few that regularly takes corners at 85 mph to 120 plus, as I have occasional access to COTA, and the toll roads run 85 Mph in Texas.

Wide open West Texas has a speed limit that is largely ignored...

With my VAP tune I've hit around 150, but the car floats beginning around 90 Mph, and for sure gets trickier on the turns.

I usually only go those speeds when planned ahead...weekends, track days. Never in traffic.

This is why I want to find or develop a "Click and lock" shoe set that can stay imbedded in the trunk, and does not look like c r a p when the wing is off. (I've considered making tiny fins to replace the wing, when the wing is not there, like low profile diffusers.)

An example of a wing design I may be interested in can be found here:

Amazon Amazon

Old 05-31-2017, 01:28 PM
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Maybe you should consider lowering springs? That will help high-speed stability a lot. It will make the car more planted and with less air buffeting underneath.

You can also get a front lip spoiler (much easier to install than rear trunk mounted one) and back diffuser. They can clip on underneath the current bumpers or replace them altogether.

I just don't think rear wing is the solution to your problem. If your car had 600lb/ft torque at the rear wheels and 60/40 weight distribution, then yes sure but since it is a nicely balanced sedan, I think 2'' drop, good tires all around and some trail braking will make a big difference through those 120mp/h corners.

Old 05-31-2017, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Demetre Gvaramia
Maybe you should consider lowering springs? That will help high-speed stability a lot. It will make the car more planted and with less air buffeting underneath.

You can also get a front lip spoiler (much easier to install than rear trunk mounted one) and back diffuser. They can clip on underneath the current bumpers or replace them altogether.

I just don't think rear wing is the solution to your problem. If your car had 600lb/ft torque at the rear wheels and 60/40 weight distribution, then yes sure but since it is a nicely balanced sedan, I think 2'' drop, good tires all around and some trail braking will make a big difference through those 120mp/h corners.
Already speaking with Stuart at VAP to possibly test his new spring set...the problem is I found out that Jaguar has five DIFFERENT XE color-coded springsets which vary from car to car, and Stuart prototyped off the AWD versions, so I'm not sure they will fit my cat and have the desired front height...

There is a front spoiler available for the xe that fits, here.

http://www.paramount-performance.com...bon-fibre.html

Considered adding it, considering all options actually...thanks for the input. I agree lowering the car will get me the best results , and if the spring rate is right it will happen soon!

Last edited by Austin7; 05-31-2017 at 01:45 PM.
Old 05-31-2017, 01:45 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Austin7
I'm probably one of the few that regularly takes corners at 85 mph to 120 plus, as I have occasional access to COTA, and the toll roads run 85 Mph in Texas.
I know that toll road and it's awesome! I was at MotoGP last month at COTA. Have you driven the XE on COTA?

I had one of these http://difflow.com/ on my Evora and made a difference at high speed. Wonder if they could fabricate the same on the XE?

Last edited by mosesbotbol; 05-31-2017 at 01:47 PM.
Old 05-31-2017, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
I know that toll road and it's awesome! I was at MotoGP last month at COTA. Have you driven the XE on COTA?
Nope, not yet, kinda wanted to make my mods first. My wife built a huge house for a dude from the local BMW club that rents COTA occasionally, we have have a standing invite.

(I want the Jaguar to look it's best against all those "propeller heads".) I'm also going to a local racing instructor beforehand to polish my braking.

Did you get to do the track walk when you were there? It's a GREAT track, with big hills!

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/wp-conten...ack_map_3d.jpg

Last edited by Austin7; 05-31-2017 at 02:00 PM.
Old 05-31-2017, 02:24 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Austin7

Did you get to do the track walk when you were there? It's a GREAT track, with big hills!

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/wp-conten...ack_map_3d.jpg
We had general admission tickets and walked the perimeter of most the track. Fantastic course and I hope to go to F1 there this fall (not going to Canadian GP this year). Great viewing from just about every corner, but I did not like how many the jumbotrons were non-functional. Makes watching the race difficult if you don't know what is going on.