XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

InControl setup connection fail

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2017, 06:14 PM
Con
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default InControl setup connection fail

I just bought an XE R-Sport and am having a problem getting InControl setup. After pressing the button and it going from quick flash to slow flash, nothing happens. The countdown timer on the website keeps ticking. Tried pressing the button multiple times, moved the car, drove the car, and restarted the car. In the owners manual, it says the SOS button should light up. However, mine makes a quick flash then goes dark.

Any ideas about how to get connected?

The following users liked this post:
NewLester de Rocin (04-04-2017)
Old 04-04-2017, 10:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had to talk to my dealer and they had to do something on their end to switch the ownership to me before it worked. Eventually it worked.

Old 04-04-2017, 11:57 AM
Received 105 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Con
I just bought an XE R-Sport and am having a problem getting InControl setup. After pressing the button and it going from quick flash to slow flash, nothing happens. The countdown timer on the website keeps ticking. Tried pressing the button multiple times, moved the car, drove the car, and restarted the car. In the owners manual, it says the SOS button should light up. However, mine makes a quick flash then goes dark.

Any ideas about how to get connected?
The US InTouch connection process is best performed by the Dealer BEFORE they hand that car over to you at pick-up day. (AFter all, you're not getting the benefit of the 5-year STolen Vehicle Recovery assistance warranty, until that blue light over your head is on!)

AFTER the car has left the dealership and is now with you, if the Dealer didn't do his job correctly, **** on him. He had his chance, and he blew it---this is much too important to leave up to him anymore. YOU should keep plugging away at it yourself until it's complete. It's the only way for you to be sure it's finally done and stays on.

My dealer did it at first. Then a month later the connection was lost and the overhead light went out. I had to redo it myself---it took a few tries, so let's hope this explanation will help you:

The SOS light is a RED overhead light above the front passenger seat. DON'T touch that--it isn't the signal Jaguar is waiting to receive.

The MECHANIC/OPTIMAL ASSISTANCE light is the one you need to use. It's the BLUE light switch above the DRIVER'S seat.

Park your car outside your apartment or house, with the engine running so the battery is nicely charged.

Turn off the engine (if it's too dangerous to leave the car running with no one to watch it)... but KEEP the INSTRUMENT IGNITION switched ON, (so your dashboard lights and touch screen are all on).

Make sure the website recognized your VIN number, and is waiting for you to go out and hit the button.

When it's time to hit the blue button, Press the button once and KEEP your finger on it, IGNORE all that flash-rapidly and flash slowly later stuff, because it only tends to make you let go of the button, or think you have to push it twice. Just push once and HOLD IT IN for a healthy 15 seconds or so.

Eventually all that flashly blue light stuff is going to go out. Don't worry about that. And when you get back to your computer, the website is going to give you a slightly different message than the instructions say it's supposed to. My message said something like "Your vehicle has been detected---the process my take up to several hours to complete..."

That's about all the confirmation you will get for now. Turn off the car and lock it up. Leave it where it's parked if possible.
TOMORROW, when you get in and start the instrument cluster, the RED and BLUE overhead lights should come on---and that's when YOU know the connection is done. (No more fibble-gibble talk from the Dealer).

Once it's conncected , your car is being tracked along every mile from the time the engine starts up to the time it switches off. You can check back on the same website, and discover that whatever trip you drove has been mapped and analyzed, right down to your mileage efficiency. As long as the infotainment screen is on, those lights over your head are on.

Last edited by NewLester de Rocin; 04-04-2017 at 12:04 PM.
ololly (04-05-2017)
Old 04-04-2017, 04:58 PM
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

What overhead lights are you talking about? I have never noticed any red or blue light! I have the two buttons to call Jaguar, but I've never seen any lights on those buttons.

NewLester de Rocin (04-05-2017)
Old 04-04-2017, 06:14 PM
Con
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

NewLester, the dealer couldn't get it working when I picked up the car. That dealership is a couple hours drive and I had a time crunch, so they weren't able to troubleshoot it. I've tried for several days to get connected with multiple attempts. The InControl website doesn't pick it up.

Old 04-05-2017, 06:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 357 Likes on 174 Posts

Correction, I think the blue light he is thinking of is actually a yellow light? I have the red SOS light on the right and a Yellow Wrench light on the left, that is the button I used for the setup.

And BTW, I have pushed that button many times recently to see if it calls for assistance and it never does anything. IT just starts to blink at a slow rate and then blinks fast and then goes off. It never does anything after I setup my in control many months ago.

Old 04-05-2017, 09:03 AM

LOL, okay. If we're all three talking about the 2016, 2017, or 2018 US model XE, this is what's supposed to happen---and if it's not happening, you're not linked to your InControl Account, nor to the Jaguar vehicle tracking and recovery system (Lord forbid someone tries to ****** your car...)

We're talking about the same things.
There are two switches above you that have drop-down lids on them to prevent accidental contact. BigCat09 is absolutely right, because they appear as yellow-plastic when they are not lit up. They are NOT both S.O.S. switches.
One is more over the passenger seat beside you. That's the one you DON'T touch. It is the SOS switch, and it won't help you in what you're trying to get done right now.

The one more over your driver's seat is the CORRECT one to touch in order to link your car to the InControl system.
You may not be able to detect it as BLUE right now, because it's not illuminated.

Once you've mated the car to the InControl, those two switches glow blue and red all the time that the ignition is on.

Regardless, only push the switch nearest to YOUR driver's side of the car during the set up.

BigCat09, I think the fact that you didn't get any response when you pressed your button once before (and the fact that it still looks "yellow") means you're not connected either.
One way to tell is to go to your InControl website, log in, and see if it has logged any of your driving trips. Nearly every trip longer than 10 minutes should be show a report and a google map.

ololly (04-05-2017)
Old 04-05-2017, 09:07 AM
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by NewLester de Rocin
Nearly every trip longer than 10 minutes should be show a report and a google map.

Make sure that Journeys are not disabled, otherwise no trips will be logged

Old 04-05-2017, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by ololly
Make sure that Journeys are not disabled, otherwise no trips will be logged
Excellent--YES! That, too!
Good catch, ololly!
As far as I know, you're not getting the benefits of that 5-year free vehicle tracking/recovery unless that telematic connection is made.

That's why I think it's a crime if the dealerships just walk away from you, knowing they haven't successfully made the set-up for you.

Old 04-05-2017, 09:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Does this have anything to do with Jaguar's Service Action K455NAS1

Old 04-05-2017, 10:05 AM

It might. Though, I thought that was only plaguing the F-Pace models.
Do you have any problem with your overhead "blue" Assistance Switch, too?

Old 04-05-2017, 10:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

It might. Though, I thought that was only plaguing the F-Pace models.
Do you have any problem with your overhead "blue" Assistance Switch, too?
All I can say is that the dealer did that service to my car yesterday. He was of little help to why or what actually the service is. Kind of insulting actually that he wouldn't look up what actually is being done and just told me some BS.

Old 04-06-2017, 06:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 357 Likes on 174 Posts
Question

The US InTouch connection process is best performed by the Dealer BEFORE they hand that car over to you at pick-up day. (AFter all, you're not getting the benefit of the 5-year STolen Vehicle Recovery assistance warranty, until that blue light over your head is on!)

AFTER the car has left the dealership and is now with you, if the Dealer didn't do his job correctly, **** on him. He had his chance, and he blew it---this is much too important to leave up to him anymore. YOU should keep plugging away at it yourself until it's complete. It's the only way for you to be sure it's finally done and stays on.

My dealer did it at first. Then a month later the connection was lost and the overhead light went out. I had to redo it myself---it took a few tries, so let's hope this explanation will help you:

The SOS light is a RED overhead light above the front passenger seat. DON'T touch that--it isn't the signal Jaguar is waiting to receive.

The MECHANIC/OPTIMAL ASSISTANCE light is the one you need to use. It's the BLUE light switch above the DRIVER'S seat.

Park your car outside your apartment or house, with the engine running so the battery is nicely charged.

Turn off the engine (if it's too dangerous to leave the car running with no one to watch it)... but KEEP the INSTRUMENT IGNITION switched ON, (so your dashboard lights and touch screen are all on).

Make sure the website recognized your VIN number, and is waiting for you to go out and hit the button.

When it's time to hit the blue button, Press the button once and KEEP your finger on it, IGNORE all that flash-rapidly and flash slowly later stuff, because it only tends to make you let go of the button, or think you have to push it twice. Just push once and HOLD IT IN for a healthy 15 seconds or so.

Eventually all that flashly blue light stuff is going to go out. Don't worry about that. And when you get back to your computer, the website is going to give you a slightly different message than the instructions say it's supposed to. My message said something like "Your vehicle has been detected---the process my take up to several hours to complete..."

That's about all the confirmation you will get for now. Turn off the car and lock it up. Leave it where it's parked if possible.
TOMORROW, when you get in and start the instrument cluster, the RED and BLUE overhead lights should come on---and that's when YOU know the connection is done. (No more fibble-gibble talk from the Dealer).

Once it's conncected , your car is being tracked along every mile from the time the engine starts up to the time it switches off. You can check back on the same website, and discover that whatever trip you drove has been mapped and analyzed, right down to your mileage efficiency. As long as the infotainment screen is on, those lights over your head are on.

So you are telling me even though my remote and in control apps and the website account all work fine including trips/journeys and all the health reports that my account still isn't active because that wrench button never lights up blue or does anything when I push it (blinks yellow)? My free trial ran out for the AT&T sim card but I am connected to a valid wifi a few times a week if that matters.

Old 04-06-2017, 09:34 AM

.....No, LOL. I don't think I'm saying that at all.
If your trips are being logged on your InControl account website (Journeys screen), then your account must be active where a cute website or phone-app thingy is concerned.

But if you're not getting any function from the overhead Optimized Assistant button (after making sure you've pressed and held the button in for at least three seconds, per the Owners Manual)...
...And if you've thankfully never had to press the OTHER overhead button during a real emergency...

You can't be physically sure you have a link to the Jaguar technical or emergency services.
I just know how smartphone graphics and laptop animations lead us to believe all is sugar and candy (that's what they are supposed to do in order to thrill and entertain us). I just don't want any owner to find out during an emergency or a crime that all the time the critical services he was counting on was not there.

Like we've seen with the original thread starter and the other post here, the dealerships tend to consider on-board emergency-links and security features as not important enough to pursue for th customer.
Your money is valuable enough for you to PUSH Jaguar directly, and insist on an explanation or hands-on check for you.

My home security company goes through a circuit check with me over the phone any time I request it.
Jaguar will do the same I think, but only if we tap them and request it. Jaguar, NOT the dealership.