XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

Jaguar XE ticking noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 07:55 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Jaguar XE ticking noise

I own Jaguar XE, only 3400 miles so far. At about 1500 miles, I started noticing the ticking noise that is coming from underneath the floor mat, gas pedal/break area. It is fairly consistent and I noticed that it goes away when the weather drops under 100. I live in Las Vegas and it gets really hot so over the summer this would drive me crazy. I took it to the dealership 4 times now and they can’t seem to fix it.Does anybody have the same problem and what could be the solution?

Old 10-18-2017, 08:24 AM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

I think there is a service bulletin on Topix that mentions a ticking noise in that area. Have a look.

Ticking Noise in Passenger Compartment While Driving
A ticking noise may be heard in the passenger compartment while driving with the engine under load. The noise increases/decreases relative to engine speed.

Global reference: JTB00483NAS1

The following users liked this post:
Jjdejd (12-19-2017)
Old 10-18-2017, 10:44 PM

Thanks I will look for it. It's the gas pedal area and noise only comes with its over 90 degrees outside. I am thinking that it could be that the floor metal heats up and expands...I could be wrong...Wish somebody knew a solution for it...

Old 12-11-2017, 06:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by XE-LV
Thanks I will look for it. It's the gas pedal area and noise only comes with its over 90 degrees outside. I am thinking that it could be that the floor metal heats up and expands...I could be wrong...Wish somebody knew a solution for it...
Did you ever resolve this issue? I have the same problem. I could not find the service bulletin. Thanks

Old 12-11-2017, 06:36 PM

Nope, I thought I did but the ticking noise went away due to cold weather. Once it got over 80 F, same ticking noise returned. I have been to the dealership 5 times in the past 6 months for this issue, and finally gave up. I contacted the manager and had them file a case with Jaguar of USA. I am asking to replace the car. They told me that I should find out the decision by Friday.

Had over 30 cars by now, and never had this issue before.

Old 12-11-2017, 07:14 PM

Nope, I thought I did but the ticking noise went away due to cold weather. Once it got over 80 F, same ticking noise returned. I have been to the dealership 5 times in the past 6 months for this issue, and finally gave up. I contacted the manager and had them file a case with Jaguar of USA. I am asking to replace the car. They told me that I should find out the decision by Friday.

Had over 30 cars by now, and never had this issue before.
It’s interesting in that my noise started after a quick change in temperature. I bought the car a couple of weeks back in Florida and put it on the Amtrak train last week. When we got to Virginia the next morning, I noticed it on my way to Pennsylvania. Now it won’t stop and is definitely rpm related. I’m taking it to the dealer Thursday for a mirror motor replacement. I plan to ask then. Did you ever find the service bulletin that was referred to in the post? I can’t seem to find it. Thanks and good luck. Let me know how you make out. Merry Christmas

Old 12-11-2017, 07:29 PM

I did not find the bulletin, but the one above talks about the passenger compartment area. Mine is definitely driver side area around the gas pedal throttle, possibly even in the dashboard around the steering wheel. I pulled the plastics and looked underneath couldn't find anything that looks suspicious. I am about 70 % sure that its the related to incorrect welding in the floor, metal expanding when it heats up and makes the ticking noise as it flexes when it goes over road surfaces...I will let you know as soon as I find out. I would suggest calling the Jaguar of USA and making a claim, and then keep taking it to the dealership every time you hear the noise.

Jjdejd (12-11-2017)
Old 12-17-2017, 02:45 PM
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

XE-LV,

I too am in Las Vegas and recently leased an XE, and hear the exact same noise, so I'm glad I'm not going crazy! Left side, right under that area. It almost sounds like friction, hard to explain it, but even in not so hot weather I am hearing it. Please keep us posted!

Old 12-17-2017, 06:57 PM

I only had mine for a couple of weeks with limited time to drive it. Today I got some time to drive it and the ticking is driving me crazy. Someone on another thread I started, says it may be the fuel injectors firing. I missed my appointment this week, but going to the dealer next week. If they can’t resolve this, it’s gone. Really disappointed. Stay tuned.

Old 12-18-2017, 08:11 PM

Hi,

Here is the update:
After five week long trips to the dealership for the same issue, I had service manager reach out to the Jaguar of USA and file a case. This was about 6 weeks ago. After 6 weeks of wait and numerous calls to Jaguar customer service, last Friday I received a notice from Jaguar customer service team via email advising that a vehicle will be replaced based on Nevada lemon law, or the funds will be refunded if I decided not to sign another lease...To my understanding they will be refunding me down pmt, and past payments that were made.

I decided to try my luck the second time, and sign another lease with another new XE separate from this transaction. I am now waiting on that XE to transport to Vegas while waiting for the refund for my old one.

Jjdejd (12-18-2017)
Old 12-19-2017, 08:04 AM

Think I may have found my problem. Seems to be a ground strap issue. All the symptoms fit as well as my vin number. JTB00483NAS1 - Ticking Noise in Passenger Compartment While Driving - Jaguar F-Pace Forum. Alphakinase found it. Thanks

Old 12-27-2017, 08:42 PM

Are you taking the car to the dealership? Let us know what happens and if they fix it? Ask them which parts they replaced. This drove me crazy. I am dying to know if they found a fix for it.

Another update on my case:
Received a formal offer from Jaguar, getting back my down payment, and all the monthly payments I have made.

Thanks.

Jjdejd (12-27-2017)
Old 12-27-2017, 09:55 PM

Are you taking the car to the dealership? Let us know what happens and if they fix it? Ask them which parts they replaced. This drove me crazy. I am dying to know if they found a fix for it.

Another update on my case:
Received a formal offer from Jaguar, getting back my down payment, and all the monthly payments I have made.

Thanks.
Taking it in tomorrow. Gave them the service bulletin info last week. The fix seems to be a ground strap or as some call it an earth strap. I’ve been watching this same issue on the UK version of the XE and some of them are having the same problem. Seems the replacement does fix it. Sounds like the original strap is rigid metal and the new one is a braided flex cable. Checkout the service bulletin number and it explains it. Only certain vin numbers are affected. Mine falls in the range stated in the info. I’ll give you an update later. I just hope they have the part in stock.

Old 12-28-2017, 06:59 PM

Aside from ground straps have them check support beam and drive shaft rattling against each other and causing ticking nose.

Somebody on the UK forum wrote:

I had a clicking noise that was caused by a support beam ratting against the drive shaft - just got it fixed this morning. Not sure if the clicking is the same noise as the sewing machine noise discussed but thought I would mention it. Mine was an easy 30 min fix."

Jjdejd (12-28-2017)
Old 12-28-2017, 07:11 PM

Aside from ground straps have them check support beam and drive shaft rattling against each other and causing ticking nose.

Somebody on the UK forum wrote:

I had a clicking noise that was caused by a support beam ratting against the drive shaft - just got it fixed this morning. Not sure if the clicking is the same noise as the sewing machine noise discussed but thought I would mention it. Mine was an easy 30 min fix."
Had to leave it overnight, they didn’t have the ground strap in stock. I’ll call tomorrow and ask about the support beam. I’m anxious to see if the ground strap fix works. Glad you gave me this additional info. I’ll post the findings tomorrow evening. Thanks

Old 12-28-2017, 07:16 PM

From my experience and now thinking back, I'm 90% sure its one of those two. Hope they fixed it it !

Jjdejd (12-28-2017)
Old 12-30-2017, 11:08 AM

Update: just got my car back and the ticking noise is gone. The new flexible ground strap worked. I’m a happy camper. 👍

Old 12-30-2017, 02:13 PM

Nice!! Did they change just the ground straps or they also did fix on support beam ?

Old 12-30-2017, 05:13 PM

Nice!! Did they change just the ground straps or they also did fix on support beam ?
Just the ground strap. I never asked about the support beam since it fixed the problem.

Old 12-30-2017, 07:29 PM

Glad it worked out. Keep us upadated after 7 days.

My replacement so far no noise. Just got the wheels from England

Last edited by XE-LV; 12-30-2017 at 07:39 PM.
Jjdejd (12-30-2017)