XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

Are Jaguars Selling Well Where You Live?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2019, 06:41 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I think the sales slump is mostly due to lack of demand for sedans which along with sports cars has been Jaguar's bread and butter. But the market is cyclical. Right now you can score great bargains on gorgeous new and late model used Jaguars and most other sedans. The market segment will return. Petrol prices are exponentially higher in other markets than the US and that is why SUV is king in the States. Right now the remaining new 2018's on lots have been discounted up to $18,000 off of original price to move the cars.

Old 04-02-2019, 06:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by AJ16er
You're correct regarding that particular model. Convertible SUV's always seemed a rather goofy concept to me. Nissan tried one and failed. I think Suzuki was the only company that ever pulled it off with their Samurai. I am guessing you purchased an XC90? What problems did you notice with the paintwork on newer Jags?
We leased an XC60 T6 Inscription. Paint issues like underneath the hood, engine bay, and trunk not being same level of finish as the outside. Behind the fuel cover not as nice and few other items that are escaping my memory. The overall paint finish is very soft.

After the local JLR dealer basically said they could care less for my business, I went back two weeks later on an XE service item and the same Velar was in the showroom. Wasn't so hot a car after all.

Old 04-02-2019, 09:11 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,067 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Originally Posted by Nedoerr
Im thrilled to hear that (and surprised). Did you check the first in-service date of the vehicle? A lot of times people get a big surprise when they find out it actually started before the sale. It’s VERY common practice (at least it was). I’d be very happy to learn that they stopped the practice.
No, don’t think it’s stopped. It’s called ‘punching’, and has been discussed a fair amount in the F-type forum.

Old 04-03-2019, 12:49 PM
Veteran Member

Been trying to arrange the return of my end of lease to Jaguar Sudbury for two weeks. They won't call me back to set a time to receive the car. Going to drop it off at the Maserati dealer next door that can accept Chase finance cars...

And you wonder why Jag is not selling so well? Dealership experience is just awful... I can say I have never had service at that dealership that was done correct on the first time...

Old 04-03-2019, 03:11 PM
Received 137 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Been trying to arrange the return of my end of lease to Jaguar Sudbury for two weeks. They won't call me back to set a time to receive the car. Going to drop it off at the Maserati dealer next door that can accept Chase finance cars...

And you wonder why Jag is not selling so well? Dealership experience is just awful... I can say I have never had service at that dealership that was done correct on the first time...
I was under the impression that you just bring it back to the dealer you bought it from. Or even another dealer that sells the same marque.

Old 04-03-2019, 09:24 PM
Veteran Member

I was under the impression that you just bring it back to the dealer you bought it from. Or even another dealer that sells the same marque.
Yes that is correct. You have to make an appointment to drop it off and sign some paperwork. The selling dealer does not want to return my calls to make an appointment. I don't want drive 30 miles to the next JLR dealer and Uber home...

Old 04-04-2019, 12:39 AM

Yes that is correct. You have to make an appointment to drop it off and sign some paperwork. The selling dealer does not want to return my calls to make an appointment. I don't want drive 30 miles to the next JLR dealer and Uber home...
No offense but you are making a bigger case out of this than it has to be. I would just drive the 30 miles and be done with it. If it is the cost of the Uber you're concerned about do you have a family member or friend that can take you home?

Old 04-04-2019, 06:42 AM
Veteran Member

No offense but you are making a bigger case out of this than it has to be. I would just drive the 30 miles and be done with it. If it is the cost of the Uber you're concerned about do you have a family member or friend that can take you home?
I am dropping it off at the Maserati dealer next door to the Jaguar dealer. Why drive 30 miles? It's disappointing that two weeks of calling the Jaguar dealership to schedule a drop off and no one calls back. Is that the level of service one should expect from a Jaguar franchise? And no; there is no one who can drive me from the distant Jaguar dealer during the week. Would rather pay 8 mile Uber vs 30 mile.

Not calling customers back, not servicing cars correctly, and not wanting negotiate or go out of their way for a returning customer ready to buy a car on the spot are all some of the reasons Jaguar (at least that location) are not selling well. Heard same woes (among others) from two previous employees of the same dealership.

Old 04-06-2019, 04:00 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,067 Likes on 1,372 Posts

...and that’s why I’ve stopped taking my F-type to them, and why I didn’t buy my XE there.

Old 04-07-2019, 05:49 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DJS
...and that’s why I’ve stopped taking my F-type to them, and why I didn’t buy my XE there.
I mentioned to George Chambers that Jag would not respond to my voicemails on scheduling a drop off date. He practically fell off his chair and had it taken car of as soon as walked in.

That being said.... The iPace was really cool. Visually appealing, innovative center console. I hope they can go more upscale on the interior than the one the had. That was an XE level trim. I they can capture the electric car market.

Old 04-08-2019, 03:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 875 Posts

Our quarterly figures came in and Jag had a large increase against the same quarter last year https://www.caradvice.com.au/743460/...first-quarter/

I'd guess mainly ePace and iPace, maybe some run out stock of the current XE which are being discounted before the new ones arrive in the third quarter.

Old 04-08-2019, 06:36 AM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

That's why I stopped buying hi-per Fords. I'd love to have a GT350, but EVERY dealer within a 30 mile radius of me is a total POS.

I just can't tolerate that. And any customer shouldn't have to.

Old 04-08-2019, 06:37 AM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

The only cars that I've seen Jaguar advertise are the SUV's. I've never seen a TV ad for a sedan or an F-Type.

Old 04-08-2019, 09:01 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
Our quarterly figures came in and Jag had a large increase against the same quarter last year https://www.caradvice.com.au/743460/...first-quarter/

I'd guess mainly ePace and iPace, maybe some run out stock of the current XE which are being discounted before the new ones arrive in the third quarter.
That's good news as JLR has been hammered on languishing diesel car sales. They are also shuttering production lines (as well as BMW) in anticipation of Brexit. 2019 and 2020 will trying year years for the British car industry. I don't think the hurt will be significant on the top end as buyers can afford an increase more than regular car consumers can.

Old 04-12-2019, 10:54 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

A war on diesel reminds me the government regulation the HE washing machines. Now machines are efficient, but don't wash and rinse well. Now people need to spend more money to do a second cycle and the electricity consumption increased twice.

The following users liked this post:
billqs (04-16-2019)
Old 04-12-2019, 11:11 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have no idea what the numbers look now after I purchased the car. I was actually looking at their financials and monthly sales to determine when better to bargain. However, the amount of F-Pace on the road increased dramatically last and this year. More interesting the population of owners now diversified from the Con-Ed engineers to nurses and the school teachers who never ever dreamed to own the Jag now can afford to get one.

Let see when people actually will experience the dealership first paid /free service or repair I bet they will start running away from this brand. I afraid even to go to the dealer for the inspection sticker replacement. The last time I did, they removed partially registration sticker, left the dirty spots on the interior and put not significant scratch on the bumper ( I polished up it easily) everything with in 30 minutes the car was at the dealer.

Left it for two weeks, got back totally thrashed car with damaged interior exterior and screwed up paint.

Old 04-12-2019, 11:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by EngshMan
A war on diesel reminds me the government regulation the HE washing machines. Now machines are efficient, but don't wash and rinse well. Now people need to spend more money to do a second cycle and the electricity consumption increased twice.
I think it is known as the "Law of Unintended Consequences"

Like low-flush toilets that have to be flushed twice!!

billqs (04-16-2019)
Old 04-16-2019, 01:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 167 Likes on 120 Posts

I just checked one local dealer and they have like 8 or 9 '18 XE's sitting. There is even one new 2017. One '18 is a black diesel AWD marked nine grand off MSRP. Very tempting to say the least.
Both local JLR dealers in Torrance and Cerritos, CA reported F-Pace being the best selling Jaguar model. But "best" is relative compared to the "best" number from Land Rover (much higher).
As a consumer, I can see the problem and it has to do with modern Jaguars' low rent interior, which is made worse when you have two brands at the same dealership for a quick A-B comparison and of course most people are going for the posh Land Rovers. It's a no-brainer. Ian Callum may be a great designer of the exterior but he needs to hire somebody from Mercedes to do the interior.

Reliability is not an issue as both marquees are equally unreliable in public perception. Most luxury car shoppers lease so they're always covered by warranty.

In Los Angeles stop-and-go traffic, it's better to sit up high so you can see who's the blockhead holding up the traffic, and not get all claustrophobic being surrounded by SUV's. If I live in a less-populated suburb I would choose a sedan.

Last edited by Wolfy; 04-16-2019 at 01:37 PM.
AZBob (04-16-2019)
Old 04-16-2019, 03:19 PM

If they want the interiors to be classier all they have to do is look in the not-so-distant past. First generation XF had a very nice set up. Old world Jaguar-esque but with a thoroughly modern twist.

Old 04-18-2019, 01:08 PM
Veteran Member

If they want the interiors to be classier all they have to do is look in the not-so-distant past. First generation XF had a very nice set up. Old world Jaguar-esque but with a thoroughly modern twist.
Sure did. All the previous Jags had better styled interiors. There's little to none coachwork left at Jaguar. Does any current Jaguar model have inlays in the wood trim?

Quick Reply: Are Jaguars Selling Well Where You Live?