XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

Keyless entry, Passive entry...

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 06:04 AM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by booklaw1
Bruce the Quail, what is "double locking"? How does it differ from just "locking"?

Thanks!
Double locking also locks the car inside, meaning you won't be able to open the door from inside anymore. If a thief breaks a window, he will not be able to open the door by pulling the door handle inside the car, until you open it.

However, there is a downside to this feature: If you double lock the car while a passenger is in there, he also will not be able to get out of the car. So be sure to double lock only if nobody stays in the car.

Old 05-02-2017, 08:34 AM
Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Whoisbigman: Sorry you won't be getting the Jag, too bad you feel you have to compromise and get another car due to availability. Were you looking at the top-end quattro? (Even the top end $60K a6 has less power than the Jag.)

You'd have to choose the $72K S6 to get better engine performance than the jag..is that really worth it?

I waited 3 months for my special order Jag, and got EXACTLY what I wanted. The problem is the Jags are far fewer in number so the likelyhood of finding exactly what you need in dealership is lower. Thy payoff is Jag owners have a far more exclusive product in the end.

Finally...please realize that Audi/Porche/Volkswagen have just been levied the largest consumer lawsuit in automotive history, in the USA over $14 Billion dollars in damages have been awarded to Audi and VW owners just last year. (Speaking as a plaintiff in the Audi/VW lawsuit.) For instance, a top Audi/VW executive was arrested by the FBI as soon as he flew into the states!

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/09/b...ment.html?_r=0

So, if you like buying from Lying Scumbag Criminal management and are ok with taking a performance hit vs the 340Hp supercharged Jaguar...have at it.

(sorry for the terse words, I'm still pissed at those particular Germans!)

My wife and I had a great time going to the Jaguar website, and using that configurator to design the EXACT CUSTOM JAG we wanted, which we considered a huge advantage over the "you will buy what we ordered" mentality of the Audi dealerships.

Now I can literally and truthfully say I drive a custom Jag, one which I chose my OWN design elements. This was a huge plus in our decision to go Jag, not to mention the steller performance of my jag after a simple 416Hp ecu tune. The feature your wife wants is available...does she have the patience to wait for a better car?

Last edited by Austin7; 05-02-2017 at 08:58 AM.
Old 05-02-2017, 03:18 PM
Received 105 Likes on 76 Posts

Wait… I think we have to go easy and slower with our definitions of “what it is, and what it does”. Jaguar is humorously notorious for kicking you to the curb with their meanings for things, and then changing the meaning when the next-year model comes out. Added to that, there are even certain “regional restrictions/requirements” that make a UK version XE lock different things, that a US version XE ain’t gonna lock, and visa-versa.

On the 2017 US model XE, there are different gadgets that come on when you activate your security system, Perimetric gadgets (waiting for a hoodlum to crack into your door, glass, trunk, sunroof, etc). Intrusion gadgets (inside the cabin that detect a moving person already INSIDE the car, like your sleepy cat), and Inclination sensors (which only the English market cars have, not our US cars).

The Perimetric security comes on each time you “lock” with your remote or door-touch. We call that “Single Locking”

To get ALL the security gadgets to come on, you have to do the “lock” motion TWICE. That’s why we call it “Double Locking” the car. Double locking means all the security sensors are now protecting the car, outside and inside the cabin.

In 2017 US XE’s the person INSIDE the car is NEVER locked in. He or she can pull that interior door handle any time, and the door will open, never feeling trapped (unless the child-protection rear doors are used, of course).
But if you “double lock” the car with someobody or somebody’s dog, or somebody’s hot cup of coffee about to move around inside the cabin, it will set off the alarm.

If I leave my 80 year old father in the passenger seat while I go to the bank, I’ll single-lock the car so no daring thug can pull the door open and assault him. He can always move around and take a drink of water, so long as I don’t “double lock” him in the car.

The 2017 XE was always designed NOT to trap a person in the car. They can’t be physically locked inside---they are always free to leave if they need to. The alarm will get set off, that’s all.

I’m not sure if this has changed for the 2018 XEs. But it’s an important issue, so we should check this out.
One thing I HAVE to criticize Jaguar for is they don't work hard enough to get absolute critical and detailed info/explanations out to the prospective buyer. We WANT to buy these cars, and they are worth buying. But don't leave us confused and broken-hearted by not educating us on EVERY detail we need to know before we order.

Old 05-02-2017, 04:35 PM
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Well said Lester.

You have a nice way of untwisting the semantics of the various subsystems.

Of course it's all covered in the owner's manual if any of us would actually bother to read it.

If you're real lazy, like I am, you can search here:

Jaguar Owner Information

This is easier than unlocking the car and opening the glove box and removing the tasteful black leather folder from the rear of the box, where it's secured by an elastic band.

At least none of us have had to resort to using this to unlock the car:

The emergency key!

Although I'm tempted to try it, Just for the hell of it.

Last edited by Charles Calthrop; 05-02-2017 at 04:52 PM. Reason: Because I can
Old 05-03-2017, 04:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Austin7
Whoisbigman: Sorry you won't be getting the Jag, too bad you feel you have to compromise and get another car due to availability. Were you looking at the top-end quattro? (Even the top end $60K a6 has less power than the Jag.)

You'd have to choose the $72K S6 to get better engine performance than the jag..is that really worth it?

I waited 3 months for my special order Jag, and got EXACTLY what I wanted. The problem is the Jags are far fewer in number so the likelyhood of finding exactly what you need in dealership is lower. Thy payoff is Jag owners have a far more exclusive product in the end.

Finally...please realize that Audi/Porche/Volkswagen have just been levied the largest consumer lawsuit in automotive history, in the USA over $14 Billion dollars in damages have been awarded to Audi and VW owners just last year. (Speaking as a plaintiff in the Audi/VW lawsuit.) For instance, a top Audi/VW executive was arrested by the FBI as soon as he flew into the states!

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/09/b...ment.html?_r=0

So, if you like buying from Lying Scumbag Criminal management and are ok with taking a performance hit vs the 340Hp supercharged Jaguar...have at it.

(sorry for the terse words, I'm still pissed at those particular Germans!)

My wife and I had a great time going to the Jaguar website, and using that configurator to design the EXACT CUSTOM JAG we wanted, which we considered a huge advantage over the "you will buy what we ordered" mentality of the Audi dealerships.

Now I can literally and truthfully say I drive a custom Jag, one which I chose my OWN design elements. This was a huge plus in our decision to go Jag, not to mention the steller performance of my jag after a simple 416Hp ecu tune. The feature your wife wants is available...does she have the patience to wait for a better car?
The car is not for me, it is for the wife. Even though the A6 has less power than the XE-R, it has other benefits that she enjoys. Power is not a big thing for her, if she wants power or to go fast, I have those and it the Jag is a grocery getter compared to those. She has a price point she wanted to stay within and the car at that price point doesn't seem to have the passive entry. This would not matter to me as a man, because my keys are always in my hand or at furthest, my pocket. However, being a women, her key is in the abyss known as her "purse". As far as lawsuits, I don't really care. Currently have the wife's A6 and my little 2 seat economy car from Stuttgart... one very comfortable, the other very fast, neither has basis for a lawsuit.

Old 04-22-2018, 07:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same issue - were you able to resolve it? IF so, how??

Old 04-24-2018, 07:56 AM
Received 105 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by ssimmo2
I have the same issue - were you able to resolve it? IF so, how??
Ssimmo2, I think the thread got hijacked accidentally over time.
We all started talking about HOW the darn keyless entry works,... but I suspect that WASN'T the author's original issue.

When you say you have the "same issue", do you mean you are hoping the car has keyless entry? Or are you concerned that the XE doesn't have a lot of cabin features that the more expensive competitors provide?