XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

My XE is on order

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2017, 10:36 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by babyjag91
I got a RWD and it's been fine this winter. Haven't even got winter tires yet. But the rain/ice/snow mode is great. Haven't got stuck or slid once since August.
yes and we have not really had any bad weather this year..... well maybe that one Saturday but I took my SUV out that day.

Old 03-03-2017, 11:24 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by RaffiNJ
yes and we have not really had any bad weather this year..... well maybe that one Saturday but I took my SUV out that day.
Luckily I work in the afternoon so by the time I got out the roads were clear and it stopped snowing

Old 03-10-2017, 07:54 AM
Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RaffiNJ
you would be wrong, the first 4 cars I owned were manuals and although the next couple automatics I owned were lacking and I would see a reason to change to manual driving them I would never think about doing that with the XE. I can agree that its a driving preference but really the only benefit of going to RWD is financials. In the snow with RWD it doesn't matter what tires you have, if its even a bit slick you are getting stuck on the slightest of inclines..... I see plenty of European sports cars parked on the side of the road when it gets slipper on the road and I can guarantee you they are RWD cars. You have no weight in the back of the car and you are going nowhere. For this downshifting scenarios you can always use the paddle shifters...... but in the end its a matter of everyone's preference, if you feel better about RWD and manual then by all means its what you should be getting. Another reason I would probably not go back to manual is me getting too old and lazy to shift, I drive mostly in stop and go traffic. When I was younger I would have probably hated myself for owning an automatic tran sports car.
Manual vs auto and AWD vs RWD. the debate goes on and on. In some of my previuos sport sedans I like having control of the torque with a manual tranny. Living in the west side of Los Angeles traffic is such that a manual is a real pain. My two most recent cars were Audi S4's with the DSG transmission. I learned you could more control than a typical automatic by using the paddle shifters. Both up and down were crazy fast and without a torque converter it was direct connection to the motor. For my driving experience I am okay with the ZF tranny, especially with the XE R 3.5 motor and VAP tune. So now that the car is somewhere around 420 HP AWD is really nice. It is not about snow and rain. For me it is about power put down at four corners. This is a very nice feature. With that. I have power a bit of extra weight is minor. Having balanced power distribution makes for a great handling car. Driving habits vary and so will preference. I guess I have adapted to my environment.