XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

My XE is on order

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 05:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My XE is on order

I'm new to this forum and new to Jaguar. I've decided that my M-B E 350 is bigger than my wife and I need, so we looked at what is available in a smaller 4 dr sedan. After checking out M-B C class, Volvo, Lincoln, Lexus, Audi and Porsche we found that the XE was just what we were looking for. We're retired and living in the foothills in Northern California so we wanted something that handled well on two lane twisty roads (I also ride motorcycles, so I love these roads), got decent gas mileage and was comfortable for two people and occasionally a second couple. I prefer a diesel and my wife wanted all of the electronic bells and whistles, and we both wanted the Prestige, British Racing Green, so we had to order our car. We placed the order in October and it's due to arrive on March 3. So we still have another two weeks to wait.

Since most of the posts here relate to the petrol engines I thought that I'd see if I could get anything started on the great little Jaguar diesel powered XE.

I've already contacted Malone to see if they have a tune for the Jaguar diesel and was told that they don't, but they're interested in examining one and have offered me a free tune if I let them do some Beta Testing on my car. And of course I'll jump at that chance. I'll keep this forum advised of the results of their testing.

Old 02-21-2017, 07:59 AM
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Congratulations! That little diesel is very efficient for sure. I'm sure you'll enjoy your XE

Did you get RWD or AWD?

Old 02-21-2017, 11:30 AM

Demetre, I got the RWD. I considered the AWD, but I don't really do anything up in the snow and the AWD is heavier, with more to go wrong. The RWD also gets a little better fuel mileage.

Old 02-21-2017, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Stan007
Demetre, I got the RWD. I considered the AWD, but I don't really do anything up in the snow and the AWD is heavier, with more to go wrong. The RWD also gets a little better fuel mileage.
Completely agree. If I had a choice I would get RWD too.

Let us know how you'll like your diesel.

Old 02-21-2017, 12:41 PM

My only disappointments so far is the long wait for the vehicle and the unavailability of a standard transmission. My VW Sportwagen is a TDI with a 6 sp manual and after my Malone tune it's just an absolute blast to drive up here in the foothills. The XE TDI has even more hp without a tune that my VW has with a tune, so I can only imagine how much fun it's going to be and how much more fun it would be with a standard.

Old 02-28-2017, 07:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

If the XE had a manual, I would've bought it over leased it. A manual would make this car a long term keeper for me.

Our local dealer does not order any RWD for their lot. Even though we get good amount of snow in Boston, I probably would've got the RWD model.

Old 02-28-2017, 02:48 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

In the north east it would make no sense at all to pick RWD over AWD (really see no reason to pick RWD over AWD at all unless to save money)..... I also see no point in getting a manual for this car either. It shifts perfectly and in our traffic it would offer no benefit to own a manual. You can still use paddle shifters.

Last edited by RaffiNJ; 02-28-2017 at 02:56 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ololly (02-28-2017)
Old 02-28-2017, 03:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,268 Likes on 874 Posts

There are heaps of diesel tunes available for these - the turbo diesels take tunes much better than petrols, I think because the engines tend to be more robust and the torque can be increased so much. I'd look at what some of the UK providers who have been dealing with the XE since mid 2015, eg TMC Motorport, or Paramount, have been getting out of the engine. Paramount say up to 38bhp power increase, but they dont mention torque which usually increases much more than power.

I havent driven the XE with the igenium (sp?) diesel. I drove a new evoque in a diesel the other day and it seemed to launch well. Of all of the things that I disliked about the evoque (and there were plenty of them) the engine wasnt one. It should be a good engine for the XE, similar to the petrol 4 pot turbo which is a cracker.

Old 02-28-2017, 05:21 PM

Raffin, AWD and an automatic may make good sense where you live, but I don't need AWD and it's just extra weight, a bit poorer gas mileage and something else that could go wrong. As for the standard transmission, if I lived in a high traffic area I would certainly opt for an automatic, however, I'm in the foothills with great two lane twisty mountain roads, so a standard transmission is much more fun to own. My VW TDI has a 6 sp standard and it's a blast to drive up here, but would be a pain in the a$$ for city driving.

Old 03-01-2017, 11:09 AM

I think the only part that I may agree with is the better gas mileage but I am not convinced that is the case. Even if so the difference is marginal. I also do not see how the AWD would be an additional item that can go wrong, RWD can go bad same way AWD does. Also do not agree manual would be more fun driving in the hills, the sport mode on automatic transmission is so responsive that it would actually take away from fun and speed trying to shift manually. Additionally I assume you refer to weight because you think RWD would be faster? I think if you watch some reviews you will see that's not the case, the RWD actually has issue with the rear of the car weaving and some wheel spin while the AWD does not have these issues. With a tune (if you decided for one) those issues would be even more amplified.

Old 03-01-2017, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by RaffiNJ
I think the only part that I may agree with is the better gas mileage but I am not convinced that is the case. Even if so the difference is marginal. I also do not see how the AWD would be an additional item that can go wrong, RWD can go bad same way AWD does. Also do not agree manual would be more fun driving in the hills, the sport mode on automatic transmission is so responsive that it would actually take away from fun and speed trying to shift manually. Additionally I assume you refer to weight because you think RWD would be faster? I think if you watch some reviews you will see that's not the case, the RWD actually has issue with the rear of the car weaving and some wheel spin while the AWD does not have these issues. With a tune (if you decided for one) those issues would be even more amplified.
Sounds like you have not spent enough time in manual transmission cars.

Shifting your own gears adds to the overall dynamic driving experience. Especially if you are on a good road, no automatic transmission will give you the same sensation of truly operating the machine with your own hands and feet.

RWD is around 150lbs lighter and has less drivetrain loss, thus it is faster at higher speeds. I don't see AWD being that much more beneficial unless you drive in deep snow or are regularly hard launching from dead stop

. In a regular icy/snowy roads, you need snow tires either way AWD or RWD. and AWD won't help you stop any shorter which is #1 danger in snow.

And most importantly of all, with manual and RWD, you can go into a tight hairpin, rev match downshift to 2nd, dip the clutch and drift your way out with rear wheels in smoke, or crash badly (which is probably what I would do).

It all depends on driving style and why we chose Jaguar. For me, it was purely the driving experience and I think going with RWD and manual would significantly enhance it.

The following users liked this post:
mosesbotbol (03-01-2017)
Old 03-01-2017, 01:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by Demetre Gvaramia
It all depends on driving style and why we chose Jaguar. For me, it was purely the driving experience and I think going with RWD and manual would significantly enhance it.
Same. I didn't mind my VDP being automatic, but the XE I'd would've preferred manual. Heck, missing an manual was a major reason for trading in my XK on the Lotus.

Old 03-01-2017, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Demetre Gvaramia
Sounds like you have not spent enough time in manual transmission cars.

Shifting your own gears adds to the overall dynamic driving experience. Especially if you are on a good road, no automatic transmission will give you the same sensation of truly operating the machine with your own hands and feet.

RWD is around 150lbs lighter and has less drivetrain loss, thus it is faster at higher speeds. I don't see AWD being that much more beneficial unless you drive in deep snow or are regularly hard launching from dead stop

. In a regular icy/snowy roads, you need snow tires either way AWD or RWD. and AWD won't help you stop any shorter which is #1 danger in snow.

And most importantly of all, with manual and RWD, you can go into a tight hairpin, rev match downshift to 2nd, dip the clutch and drift your way out with rear wheels in smoke, or crash badly (which is probably what I would do).

you would be wrong, the first 4 cars I owned were manuals and although the next couple automatics I owned were lacking and I would see a reason to change to manual driving them I would never think about doing that with the XE. I can agree that its a driving preference but really the only benefit of going to RWD is financials. In the snow with RWD it doesn't matter what tires you have, if its even a bit slick you are getting stuck on the slightest of inclines..... I see plenty of European sports cars parked on the side of the road when it gets slipper on the road and I can guarantee you they are RWD cars. You have no weight in the back of the car and you are going nowhere. For this downshifting scenarios you can always use the paddle shifters...... but in the end its a matter of everyone's preference, if you feel better about RWD and manual then by all means its what you should be getting. Another reason I would probably not go back to manual is me getting too old and lazy to shift, I drive mostly in stop and go traffic. When I was younger I would have probably hated myself for owning an automatic tran sports car.

Last edited by RaffiNJ; 03-01-2017 at 04:21 PM.
Old 03-02-2017, 08:03 AM

RaffinJ, what it boils down to is preference and availability. Where I live it doesn't snow, so I really don't need AWD and my preference is to shift myself, however, Jaguar doesn't provide the option of a manual transmission on the XE in the USA, so I'll be happy with the automatic.

And as for getting too old and lazy to shift, I can understand that. When I get old I'll probably desire an automatic. I'll give up my motorcycles (which I shift manually), quit riding my ATV up in the Sierra Nevada mountains, and settle down in my rocker. But for now I'll stick with being a bit more adventurous. Next month I turn 71 years young, and after all, you're only young once

Old 03-02-2017, 01:34 PM
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Hey, Stan007, here's a shout-out from one 70-yeat-old XE owner to another!

Old 03-02-2017, 02:58 PM

Booklaw1, thanks for the shout out. And I hope that you're enjoying your XE as much as I plan on enjoying mine.

Old 03-02-2017, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Stan007
RaffinJ, what it boils down to is preference and availability. Where I live it doesn't snow, so I really don't need AWD and my preference is to shift myself, however, Jaguar doesn't provide the option of a manual transmission on the XE in the USA, so I'll be happy with the automatic.

And as for getting too old and lazy to shift, I can understand that. When I get old I'll probably desire an automatic. I'll give up my motorcycles (which I shift manually), quit riding my ATV up in the Sierra Nevada mountains, and settle down in my rocker. But for now I'll stick with being a bit more adventurous. Next month I turn 71 years young, and after all, you're only young once
I guess people grow old faster in the east considering I am half your age :P

Old 03-02-2017, 10:38 PM
Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Howdy Stan, from Austin. Nice color choice!

I noticed you are another TDI owner...did you go for the buyback or eventual fix? I took the buyback myself on one of my VW TDI's...that was the the only way I could justify the jag purchase.

I too wanted a manual only for the driver engagement. (I've driven manuals all my life).

To my surprise, the XE's auto with paddle shifters turned out pretty darn good...use the paddles and you'll get much of a manual experience, you can still control shift points and such...I'm really pleased with it.

You will love your jag! Congrads...

Btw if you shoose to use the Auto and are a sport oriented driver, keep it in 'S"port and the shift points work for you....more like they should vs "D"rive, and you'll get some more engine braking as if you were shifting yourself. The automatic on the Jag in sport is really pretty good IMHO. Of course, select the "Dynamic" drive mode to get the best acceleration...you'll see what I mean after you spend some quality time with your new "baby".

Last edited by Austin7; 03-02-2017 at 10:55 PM.
Old 03-02-2017, 11:37 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by RaffiNJ
In the north east it would make no sense at all to pick RWD over AWD (really see no reason to pick RWD over AWD at all unless to save money)..... I also see no point in getting a manual for this car either. It shifts perfectly and in our traffic it would offer no benefit to own a manual. You can still use paddle shifters.
I got a RWD and it's been fine this winter. Haven't even got winter tires yet. But the rain/ice/snow mode is great. Haven't got stuck or slid once since August.

Old 03-03-2017, 07:31 AM

RaffinJ, I've been very fortunate. I consider age just a number, not a frame of mind, so I refuse to be any older than I have to be. Hopefully my health and physical condition will remain good and I can continue to have fun.

Austin7, yes I have one of the criminal TDI's and I love it. I bought it in 2014 and have 65,000+ miles on it, with absolutely no problems. I also have a Mercedes E-350 Blu Tec (TDI) and the VW is much more fun and comfortable on long trips. VW is going to pay me around $7,000 to cover depreciation and I'm keeping the car. I have it set up to tow my trailer (for motorcycles and my ATV) and it's perfect, so there's no way I'd give it up.

Babyjag91, nice looking Jag. That color was our second choice, but British Racing Green beat it out by a fraction.