XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

Not sure if AEB is working

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 12:40 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Not sure if AEB is working

My 17 R-Sport has Automatic Emergency Braking on it along with the twin cameras at top of the windshield. On the display menu located on the instrument cluster (between tach and speedo) it shows AEB on. I have driven approx 5K miles so far and not once has there ever been any automatic warning or braking triggered by it. I have seen a couple times a yellow warning that AEB is not available but that is just temporary. I have tried to trigger it a few times but ended having to slam on the brakes myself at the very last second. No warnings or auto braking resulted. I know it only works below 50 mph but have never heard or seen anything that would make we think the AEB system is working. Just wondering if my experience is typical of the Jaguar AEB system or is it possible the AEB in my car is not working? Appreciate any thoughts and/or experiences you might have with the AEB on your car.

Old 01-23-2018, 12:52 PM
Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

I’ve had it activate twice on me, large red triangle appears in the info panel in the instrument display and a chime warning sounds. If you’re not sure it’s working, just get it checked out.

Old 01-23-2018, 12:54 PM
Received 193 Likes on 169 Posts

Not exactly something to find out it’s NOT working I agree with Ian get it checked out.

Old 01-23-2018, 01:47 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Ian D
I’ve had it activate twice on me, large red triangle appears in the info panel in the instrument display and a chime warning sounds. If you’re not sure it’s working, just get it checked out.
Getting close to having it checked out. How pronounced is the AEB activation warning - in other words is it difficult to miss. The reason I ask is that I am focusing on the car ahead of me when I have tested AEB and not at the dash. Does hitting the brakes manually deactivate the AEB? Appreciate your help.

Old 01-23-2018, 03:17 PM
Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

From the handbook

The vehicle AEB detection system operates when the vehicle is travelling between 5 km/h (3 mph) and 80 km/h (50 mph). If the vehicle AEB detects an imminent risk of collision with a vehicle travelling in front, it automatically applies the brakes. If the vehicle's speed is between 35 km/h (22 mph) and 80 km/h (50 mph), AEB warning messages are displayed in the instrument panel. The messages are displayed just before the brakes are automatically applied.

After the vehicle has stopped, the brakes are only applied for a few seconds. After this period, the driver must resume full control of the vehicle.

If AEB engages, the driver can override AEB operation by turning the steering wheel, or pressing the accelerator pedal. AEB then disengages, to make sure that the driver remains in full control of the vehicle.

AEB will not operate if:

The vehicle is negotiating a tight corner.

The forward-facing cameras are dirty or obstructed.

The vehicle's speed is below 5 km/h (3 mph) or above 80 km/h (50 mph).

Visibility is impaired due to severe weather conditions, e.g., heavy rain, fog, snow, etc.

Below maybe why you get an AEB message.
When the vehicle’s ignition is first switched on, the AEB system may require an initialisation period before it is fully functional. In this state, a message is displayed in the instrument panel. During this period, the efficiency of the AEB system is limited.

Old 01-24-2018, 07:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Mine is the opposite since I got it back from the dealer. We were getting error messages saying it was disabled and now it's super sensitive. When the failure message would appear, I would just restart the car and it would go away.

Since this is a safety issue, I would bring it back to the dealer if I were you.