XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

Rattle in the cabin/Crack on glossy B pillar

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 10:14 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Question Rattle in the cabin/Crack on glossy B pillar

Just wondering if anyone had been experiencing this issue. The car has only 3k (2017 XE) on ODO started developing rattle somewhere in driver's side door area. When I roll a window down a rattle almost disappears. Tried to drive with slightly open door and looks like the driver's door might be a source because a rattle becomes not that prominent.

The second issue is a crack on the glossy B pillar. I was washing a car other day and noticed the crack when car was about 2k. I examined the area and there is no impact of any kind whatsoever, it just appeared there. I was searching the forums and found the Porsche drivers have the same issue, did anyone experience this?

Old 08-07-2018, 03:29 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

You should be able to get them to replace the glossy piece under warranty, as that sounds like a defect.

There is no telling what the rattle might be. Perhaps it is related to the crack on the B pillar?

Old 08-08-2018, 01:00 PM

Ironically the crack on a B pillar is on the other side of the car, I hear a rattle on the driver's side. I'm afraid to take car to an incompetent dealer who might just waste my time or worse put more damages (as they casually do). I have 3 dealers in NYC area but the service department barely gets a 3 stars online rating. Here is a crack if someone is interested or will get it in the future. *The white particles is the dust, the B pillar doesn't have even swirl marks on it.

Old 08-08-2018, 01:32 PM
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

FWIW, I have had my car serviced several times at Great Neck Jaguar (in spite of the fact that I live in Brooklyn and the Manhattan dealership would be more convenient). I have been consistently pleased with their work and their courtesy.

Old 08-08-2018, 03:50 PM

I'm regularly going to Great Neck, but mostly on the weekends. I might stop by to schedule an appointment their website is down for a week (if not more), what spooking me is when you read the negative reviews its all about the service dep. BTW, the Freeport and the GN Jaguar are technically the same thing I'm not sure about the quality of service though. I've scheduled once service online with the Jag Freeport they never called me back to confirm, and when I called them they just didn't pick up.

Old 08-08-2018, 04:04 PM
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

That is a bit ominous... I just received a letter from the owner of Great Neck Jaguar, stating that he has just sold the dealership to the owner of the Freeport dealership.

Old 08-09-2018, 02:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same rattle issue, in IP and rear window area.

Old 08-14-2018, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by booklaw1
That is a bit ominous... I just received a letter from the owner of Great Neck Jaguar, stating that he has just sold the dealership to the owner of the Freeport dealership.
The website is still saying ,"Gone". This makes my head to spin more harder. I'm not sure where to take car now to get most efficient and reliable service. I'm not sure if I'll trust the Freeport Jag service after couple of trips there, I might go to Manhattan Jag or somewhere in Connecticut.

Old 08-14-2018, 12:16 PM
Received 105 Likes on 76 Posts

Jaguar Great Neck is gone. They used to be part of a sister ownership of some kind with another Jaguar location in NJ.

I cannot say I was pleased with their service center as you apparently were (as most of the dings or marks on my exterior came from their premises whenever I left my car with them for servicing).
This is life...

The rattling: Each door has TWO rubber seals surrounding the doorwell. Each seal (I believe) sits against the painted surface of the doorwell. As long as the seals sit tight to the metal (rubber usually has that tacky traction to it), your door sits silent as you drive.
On the other hand, if enough debris is allowed to coat part of the rubber seal (like rain washed dust or grit on the bottom seal of the door, or grease from people's hands along the same top edge of the rubber seal, etc), THAT portion of the rubber seal will squeak and shift against the painted doorwell, and create what sounds like a rattling panel.
I clean my doorseals regularly, with a auto-lubricant detailer called Griot's Speedshine. It's not meant for this cleaning job, and it leaves the rubber seals slippery clean, temporarily robbing the traction from the rubber surface. So for a week after cleaning with this stuff, ALL my door panels rattle.
Once the residue has completely evaporated... no more shifting around, no more rattling sound.

Don't clean your rubber seals with my Speedshine, but do regularly clean and dry-off the rubber and doorwells when you hear that noise.

Old 08-14-2018, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by EngshMan
The website is still saying ,"Gone". This makes my head to spin more harder. I'm not sure where to take car now to get most efficient and reliable service. I'm not sure if I'll trust the Freeport Jag service after couple of trips there, I might go to Manhattan Jag or somewhere in Connecticut.
If you liked Jaguar of Great Neck, you need to take your car once to Jaguar of Huntington. Half an hour further into Long Island than Great Neck.
Huntington Jag needs to be visited at least once. Different feeling from the staff, different outside storage, manager is always on premises ten minutes after his place opens up each morning. Advisors are communicative, patient, and don't rush you in or out.
Very "British" sense of humor in the showroom. AND, rather than giving you an equal XE or XF for your loaner car, they usually loan out from this stock of various-trim level F-Paces they have (Yummmmy!).
But when you schedule for service, tell them you need a loaner, so they can schedule you a loaner in advance. Huntington has a larger customer influx than Great Neck.

Last edited by NewLester de Rocin; 08-14-2018 at 12:33 PM.
Old 08-14-2018, 02:15 PM

Nope, I have no idea how their service to like it or not I just read the reviews and in particular was mentioned that their service department sucks. But, I went to the Freeport for the car purchase this is when I had my first unpleasant experience, and the second when I scheduled an online appointment they didn't even bother to follow up, when I called they hang up on me and then didn't pick up. The Huntington is the same distance from me as the Darian Jag, CT. I was at the Huntington Jag couple of times and I really liked them for their courtesy.

Also, I don't think getting car back with dings and scratches is acceptable. In my case especially transporting business clients I want a carriage to look immaculate, that being said it's an official dealership not a corner operated mechanic shop with $19.99 oil change and free wash without liability insurance etc. That's why I'm driving with the issues making the statistic about car to look good because I just don't trust their dealership chain in NYC area.

Old 08-14-2018, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by NewLester de Rocin
Jaguar Great Neck is gone. They used to be part of a sister ownership of some kind with another Jaguar location in NJ.

I cannot say I was pleased with their service center as you apparently were (as most of the dings or marks on my exterior came from their premises whenever I left my car with them for servicing).
This is life...

The rattling: Each door has TWO rubber seals surrounding the doorwell. Each seal (I believe) sits against the painted surface of the doorwell. As long as the seals sit tight to the metal (rubber usually has that tacky traction to it), your door sits silent as you drive.
On the other hand, if enough debris is allowed to coat part of the rubber seal (like rain washed dust or grit on the bottom seal of the door, or grease from people's hands along the same top edge of the rubber seal, etc), THAT portion of the rubber seal will squeak and shift against the painted doorwell, and create what sounds like a rattling panel.
I clean my doorseals regularly, with a auto-lubricant detailer called Griot's Speedshine. It's not meant for this cleaning job, and it leaves the rubber seals slippery clean, temporarily robbing the traction from the rubber surface. So for a week after cleaning with this stuff, ALL my door panels rattle.
Once the residue has completely evaporated... no more shifting around, no more rattling sound.

Don't clean your rubber seals with my Speedshine, but do regularly clean and dry-off the rubber and doorwells when you hear that noise.
I'm not sure if the problem internal with the door or somewhere else but when I roll a window down the rattle is gone.

Old 08-14-2018, 05:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 875 Posts

Our XE has been pretty flawless, but in my first XF I had a crack in the gloss black B pillar trim (replaced under warranty) and a rattle in the door (I think it was the stereo speaker against the door trim, from memory they put a piece of foam between them.

Old 08-15-2018, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
Our XE has been pretty flawless, but in my first XF I had a crack in the gloss black B pillar trim (replaced under warranty) and a rattle in the door (I think it was the stereo speaker against the door trim, from memory they put a piece of foam between them.
Thanks, I'll let them know a possible cause of this annoyance.

Old 02-02-2019, 12:26 PM

Brought car to the dealership to fix the rattle issue. Now, I'm without car for 2 weeks since they are working on a body frame reinforcement which apparently requires a spot welding. The car had only 3k miles when it started happening. When I'll get a car back I'll look into a paperwork and post a bulletin # if there is one so others can mention to their dealer. Never happened anything like this in 20 years and 5 cars ownership.

Old 02-04-2019, 11:59 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by EngshMan
Brought car to the dealership to fix the rattle issue. Now, I'm without car for 2 weeks since they are working on a body frame reinforcement which apparently requires a spot welding. The car had only 3k miles when it started happening. When I'll get a car back I'll look into a paperwork and post a bulletin # if there is one so others can mention to their dealer. Never happened anything like this in 20 years and 5 cars ownership.
Sounds serious, I have an intermittent buzzing/resonance sound coming from the driver side area when driving over rough surfaces, is this what you're experiencing?

This buzzing disappears when it's raining, I assume it's coming from under the car.

Old 02-05-2019, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Mazen Ajouz
Sounds serious, I have an intermittent buzzing/resonance sound coming from the driver side area when driving over rough surfaces, is this what you're experiencing?

This buzzing disappears when it's raining, I assume it's coming from under the car.
Sounds more like a dull rattle. It disappears when it's cold and more prominent when warm or hot outside. It doesn't go away after a car wash or rain. It persisted no matter what was a road surface rough or smooth mostly appears after a few min of driving. That said, it's more an internal and isolated from outside factors issue besides a temp change. I hope the fix was addressed correctly and wont re-appear again. I read about on other jag forum when I heard a rattle for the first time. Some person posted that a car was 5 weeks in the shop before it got fixed which makes it a potential lemon according to most states the 30 day or more in the shop policy.

Old 02-16-2019, 11:44 AM

Update. The rattle wasn't fixed and now I have an interior damage done by the dealership hired bodyshop.

Old 02-16-2019, 11:29 PM

EnglishMan, if you're located near the LIE or BQE, then we live in similar territory to each other.

I'm not sure who your service dealership is, but I an sure they are NOT the dealer I use. Here in this part of NY the service dealerships are dreadful, and the only one I go to is Jaguar Huntington. NOT because they are a super dealership, but because their bodyshop agency (also a hired bodyhop) is superb. Your car comes back from this shop like it came from the factory, ALL interior trim pieces fitted into place without anything other than a light smudge on your upholstery from the workman's behind.

Try never to leave the dealership without getting the dealer to confess to the cosmetic damage in the cabin, and schedule a return visit to have them REPLACE (because you can't REPAIR a scarred or damaged trim panel if it's plastic or if it's damage to the ceiling liner). Whether they are willing to admit to their damage, and are willing to replace it… this is a sign that you should change dealerships, and keep trying new ones until you find the right fit for your quality expectations.

It's fortunate for you that you have a problem that does not affect serious operation of the car. Hence, you have time to find the right dealership who will finally take your car seriously.

Old 02-17-2019, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by NewLester de Rocin
EnglishMan, if you're located near the LIE or BQE, then we live in similar territory to each other.

I'm not sure who your service dealership is, but I an sure they are NOT the dealer I use. Here in this part of NY the service dealerships are dreadful, and the only one I go to is Jaguar Huntington. NOT because they are a super dealership, but because their bodyshop agency (also a hired bodyhop) is superb. Your car comes back from this shop like it came from the factory, ALL interior trim pieces fitted into place without anything other than a light smudge on your upholstery from the workman's behind.

Try never to leave the dealership without getting the dealer to confess to the cosmetic damage in the cabin, and schedule a return visit to have them REPLACE (because you can't REPAIR a scarred or damaged trim panel if it's plastic or if it's damage to the ceiling liner). Whether they are willing to admit to their damage, and are willing to replace it… this is a sign that you should change dealerships, and keep trying new ones until you find the right fit for your quality expectations.

It's fortunate for you that you have a problem that does not affect serious operation of the car. Hence, you have time to find the right dealership who will finally take your car seriously.
I went to Huntington once when the car had 2k on ODO for an Ad blue top up. Apparently the fluid was low to begin with and they tried to charge $XXX for the $12.99 fluid in addition a mysterious tiny dent appeared on the fender. They told me it's not a DIY thing since the Ad blue light needs to be reset

So, the time came to fix the noise and actually the dealership I choice was out of NY. When I went to collect the car there wasn't any apparent damage and it was raining that day besides dirty seats it wasn't anything obvious. After getting back to NYC an hour later I accidentally noticed a mess the shop created and covered up from the sight. When the car dried more damage appeared on the paint which looked like they washed it with a dish sponge despite my refusal of their complementary wash. If I need to hire a mechanic and a detailer next time to retrieve the car from the dealer it will be ridiculous.

But I contact them immediately and sent pictures and seems like they are willing to cooperate to bring the car to the original condition before their possession for the time of the repair, at least.

I contact a service advisor and he admitted the fault and ordered damaged parts, and regarding paint obviously they should cover detailing expenses as well. But the worse part, the noise is still there.

Now I'm debating to leave the review based on my experience which can raise the eyebrows at HQ or give them the second chance.

Quick Reply: Rattle in the cabin/Crack on glossy B pillar