XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

Spring Options/Ride Height - Crowd-source Info Needed

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2017, 02:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spring Options/Ride Height - Crowd-source Info Needed

Hey all, new owner of a XE 35t RSport AWD. I have seen many posts complaining about a high front end on the AWD models but it seems the only solution to date is lowering springs F+R.

My vehicle however has about the perfect stance (for me) in the rear but the front is massive.

I would like to find and source OEM front springs (perhaps RWD R-Sport 35t front springs) that allow it to match the rear ride height or maybe aftermarket front lowering springs alone.

I called several dealer parts dept's and I spent several hours on the Jaguar Tech Info site and while I found many part numbers I found no way to decode colors of the different springs for the vehicles. Has anyone made progress on this? Found no info on Tech Info site even after paying.

Think the easiest way for those with other combo's to measure wheel arch gap and spring color on each end to run down which springs will get the desired results. We can then match colors to ride height and ride.

My car is the following 2017 R-Sport 35t AWD. I am guessing there are different springs for certain trims and engine/driveline combo.
Front Left/Right - Orange Yellow White on one row. Orange on second. The front colors were on the back of the spring but I was able to stick my phone in there and get a photo. Colors are on the coils above the tag. Will attach pics.
Rear Left - Orange Green Grey(White?) on one row. Orange on second

To start looking for someone with a R-Sport 35t RWD to post wheel gap measurements and spring colors.

Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails Spring Options/Ride Height - Crowd-source Info Needed-img_3477.jpg   Spring Options/Ride Height - Crowd-source Info Needed-img_3479.jpg   Spring Options/Ride Height - Crowd-source Info Needed-img_3480.jpg   Spring Options/Ride Height - Crowd-source Info Needed-img_3488.jpg  
Old 10-15-2017, 07:57 PM

Measured a 2017 XE 25t Prestige RWD this weekend. Wheel gap was same front and rear.

Spring colors are:
Front - Yellow, Purple, Orange - White
Rear - Blue, Purple, Pink/Salmon - Orange

Old 10-16-2017, 11:47 AM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

I dont think you'll want to compare it to the 25t because the weight of the engine in front is substantially different, as is the geometry and where it sits relative to the wheels.

I have a 35t RSport RWD. I can take a look at it for you.

Do you have the adaptive dampers?

Old 10-16-2017, 12:00 PM

Here you go.

2017 35t R-Sport, RWD, with Adaptive Dynamics. Production date ~ June 2016

FRONT:

REAR:

colors are...

front: yellow, purple, purple; orange
rear: blue, orange, white; orange

Last edited by alphakinase; 10-16-2017 at 12:03 PM. Reason: added colors in case photos ever get deleted
Old 10-16-2017, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by alphakinase
Here you go.

2017 35t R-Sport, RWD, with Adaptive Dynamics. Production date ~ June 2016
front: yellow, purple, purple; orange
rear: blue, orange, white; orange
Thanks for reporting yours. I don't have adaptive dampers however, not sure if they are different springs for adaptive dampers, but your rear springs are different then mine. How is your wheel gap front/rear? The 25t RWD was equal front and rear vs all the AWD models they had on the lot.

I am wanting to create a full list of spring colors to trim and drivetrain for all forum members since the dealers do not have a way to do so.

Old 10-16-2017, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by schwartzki
Thanks for reporting yours. I don't have adaptive dampers however, not sure if they are different springs for adaptive dampers, but your rear springs are different then mine. How is your wheel gap front/rear? The 25t RWD was equal front and rear vs all the AWD models they had on the lot.

I am wanting to create a full list of spring colors to trim and drivetrain for all forum members since the dealers do not have a way to do so.
No problem. I'll have to check the ride height when I get home.

Just making sure - did you look at your build sheet on Topix? I think I remember something about springs in there, but it may not have been specific enough.

My build sheet says:
FRONT SPRING LOAD CLASS-E
REAR SPRING LOAD CLASS-G

Last edited by alphakinase; 10-16-2017 at 04:44 PM.
Old 10-16-2017, 08:30 PM

No problem. I'll have to check the ride height when I get home.

Just making sure - did you look at your build sheet on Topix? I think I remember something about springs in there, but it may not have been specific enough.

My build sheet says:
FRONT SPRING LOAD CLASS-E
REAR SPRING LOAD CLASS-G
Nice idea!

Mine only shows the front spring class...
FRONT SPRING LOAD CLASS-H

Old 10-16-2017, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by schwartzki
Nice idea!

Mine only shows the front spring class...
FRONT SPRING LOAD CLASS-H
Interesting...

If you swapped to the RWD springs, would that really level the front since your car's weight is different than the RWD?

Not saying it's a bad idea just trying to understand

Old 10-16-2017, 09:07 PM

It must take into account more than just the engine and drivetrain layout. I just plugged a VIN for a random 35t R-sport AWD into Topix and it has front spring class H...

I found a 35t premium AWD with the same front spring class as mine: SAJAJ4EV1JCP21006

And here is a 35t R-Sport RWD without adaptive damping that has identical front and rear springs as mine (which does have adaptive damping): SAJAF4BV2HA954680

So the damping doesn't factor in probably...

Last edited by alphakinase; 10-16-2017 at 09:11 PM.
Old 10-16-2017, 09:14 PM

Interesting...

If you swapped to the RWD springs, would that really level the front since your car's weight is different than the RWD?

Not saying it's a bad idea just trying to understand
The lowering springs offered in my opinion lower the car more then I want and the downside to them generally is a less compliant ride. My main goal is to get rid of the constant look of having a trunk full of luggage.

RWD - 3,650lbs vs AWD - 3,795.

About 145lbs difference. Say about 3/4 of that is on the front springs split by two however some of it is unsprung so would say it is about 50lbs per front corner. Shouldn't affect the RWD springs much.

Old 10-17-2017, 09:00 AM

I just measured the front and rear wheel gap and both are identical, about 1.5 inches.

The following users liked this post:
schwartzki (10-17-2017)
Old 10-20-2017, 06:20 PM
Received 821 Likes on 467 Posts

A couple of salient points here - the colour coding on the springs is not useful. When doing our research and development for the FType and subsequently the XE, we discovered that even if you supply a VIN, the parts catalogue still displays multiple colour coding options for the same car. I have been *told* that they are specific to wheel & tire combos but what we discovered on the FType was that we could not find a statistically significant different between the different options. For all intents and purposes they are the same.

Secondly, I would not necessarily conclude that the OEM RWD Front Springs will drop the AWD car lower at the front. I suspect the reason for the taller ride height is an allowance for the drive shafts, and you may find that the ride height difference is due to spring mounting, not spring length & rate.

Supporting that theory - we used AWD springs to test & develop prototypes, which were subsequently fitted to a 2WD car, dropping it evenly front & rear. When we made a slightly shorter front for the AWD, it levelled the car out and dropped the front further. So 99/100 if you put OEM '2WD' front springs in the car it's not going to change the ride height.

O: (1)250-485-5126
E: Stuart@VelocityAP.com
www.velocityap.com

The following 2 users liked this post by Stuart@VelocityAP:
alphakinase (10-22-2017), Panthro (12-21-2023)