XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

Tracking the XE Tomorrow

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 08:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

Oh yes, power gains are easy these days since much of that is computer controlled, but hiding it from a manufacturer in the event of an engine-related warranty claim is virtually impossible. There isn't a lot of additional power to gain from bolt-on parts, and the major gains come from ECU programming.

You can remove parts and flash an ECU back to stock, but every time an ECU is flashed, it leaves a record that cannot be erased. That will likely lead to a warranty denial, unless you get lucky.

In the event of an internal part failure in the engine, the manufacturer will ask the dealer to send the ECU back for analysis. If it has been reflashed, they will find it. It's no different than when you erase something on your computer hard disk, it's not really erased.

If one can find a reputable tuning company with a safe product, it's a great option, as long as the owner is willing and able to assume both the risk and the cost of major engine repair or replacement.

Old 09-28-2015, 08:54 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by GGabriel
You wouldn't believe the hp & tq gains our turbo diesels get with simple bolt on (F -250, F-350, Ram, Silverado, etc...) I'm always envious of the massive gains the diesel truck guys have available to them. Anything that works on their rigs should work on Jags diesels (which are clean by the way
BTW, 90% of the gains on those vehicles you mention above are ECU programming, and nothing that's available for them will work on Jaguar engines. ECU programming is specific to each individual engine. Power gains from intakes and cat-back exhaust systems are essentially insignificant, but they sound good.

One of the frustrations for people wanting to modify Jaguars is that there isn't much available because it is a low-volume manufacturer for which there isn't a big market. Thus, there's not much incentive for after-market companies to develop such parts. Ford, Chevy, and Ram trucks are sold by the 10s of thousands providing a huge market.

3 years after F-Type introduction, there still isn't much available on the aftermarket except for a few companies offering ECU tunes.

Old 09-29-2015, 10:14 AM
Received 98 Likes on 72 Posts

I didn't mean they'd swap over, lol. I meant the tech. Gale Banks gets massive hp/tq increases from a non computer related bolt on. I'll have to look it up. I've also seen aftermarket support for the Jag diesels, but your right, I'm sure that a large part of that is computer related.

I didn't know the real she's leave a record, or that Jag request the couter for a engine failure. That sucks but makes sense.

I had a customer reflash his F Type 3.0. What a difference! He may do a pulley next. I don't think you can gain much if anything with an exhaust change. The stock Jag piping is gorgeous. Generous pipe diameter with beautiful smooth bends. Only Nameless Cats may give an increase, but would they even show a difference in hp? Not much until they start getting old.

Old 09-29-2015, 11:54 AM
Veteran Member

I didn't mean they'd swap over, lol. I meant the tech. Gale Banks gets massive hp/tq increases from a non computer related bolt on. I'll have to look it up. I've also seen aftermarket support for the Jag diesels, but your right, I'm sure that a large part of that is computer related.

I didn't know the real she's leave a record, or that Jag request the couter for a engine failure. That sucks but makes sense.

I had a customer reflash his F Type 3.0. What a difference! He may do a pulley next. I don't think you can gain much if anything with an exhaust change. The stock Jag piping is gorgeous. Generous pipe diameter with beautiful smooth bends. Only Nameless Cats may give an increase, but would they even show a difference in hp? Not much until they start getting old.
LOL, yes Banks gets massive HP/TQ increases by selling bolt-on turbos for non-turbo charged (naturally aspirated) engines. You've been talking about Jags that are already turbo- or supercharged. Once you've done forced induction, the only big gain left is ECU tuning, which Banks also sells.

Banks Power | Diesel Performance and Gas Performance Products

With regard to cats, some Jag owners have actually lost power by putting on high flow cats, because the ECU detects something is wrong, and compensates--not in a good way. It's also common to get a check engine light and other codes.

Lastly, as I said before, virtually none of this stuff is on the market for recent Jaguars like the F-Type, and certainly not for the new XE. It may come, but it's likely years down the road, after 5 years or so of sales. Having a big pool of vehicles to market to is the only way for developers like Banks to make a profit.

And, of course, manufacturers have to protect themselves, if everyone could go out and purchase a 340HP vehicle, and buy a tune for less than $1000 that takes it to 420HP, which then blows up, whey should they cover it? They agreed to warranty the 340HP car they sold you, not the one you modified and pushed beyond what they consider to be safe limits.

What sucks is that people try to hide what they done, and then get pissed when they are denied warranty coverage. You have to assume responsibility for your own actions.

Old 09-30-2015, 08:10 AM

(What sucks is that people try to hide what they done, and then get pissed when they are denied warranty coverage. You have to assume responsibility for your own actions.[/QUOTE])

What sucks more is when the manufacturer does it. Like selling almost a half of million cars that have the emission controls turned off while driving. Lies to their customers, and the fix (if it can be done) makes their car slow and get worse mpg. Poor, poor manufacturers.... ...

No, putting a turbo on isn't what i had seen in the magazine test. It was years ago, and may not apply with the more tightly controlled engines, but Banks used to advertise substantial gains from changing something like the down pipe (+ most likely increasing the boost somehow) and another part. Can't find it anymore on their site, but I didn't look that hard.

Old 09-30-2015, 08:14 PM
Veteran Member

It sounds like you have a lot of learning to do. I've been playing with and working on cars for more than 40 years, and I have a pretty good handle on what's possible and what's not.

Last edited by Foosh; 10-01-2015 at 07:12 AM.
Old 10-01-2015, 02:33 PM

Man, I sure do! But, thank you for reminding me

Each and every day I try to learn, aND hAve learned much from the forum members on this site wit far more knowledge then I'll every have. At 51 yrs old, I will always be considered inexperienced and mostly ignorant compared to some of my hero's out there like the Count and Avos, Water Dragon and many others....

The following 2 users liked this post by GGabriel:
BruceTheQuail (10-01-2015), Foosh (10-01-2015)
Old 10-01-2015, 05:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,272 Likes on 876 Posts

Haha, you sound like me. I love cars but I have my limitations, I admire people who can work on them but alas, my talents lie elsewhere. And not in driving - my day at the track in the XKR didn't reveal a future champion...

The following users liked this post:
Lothar52 (10-04-2015)
Old 10-01-2015, 09:28 PM
Veteran Member

Man, I sure do! But, thank you for reminding me

Each and every day I try to learn, aND hAve learned much from the forum members on this site wit far more knowledge then I'll every have. At 51 yrs old, I will always be considered inexperienced and mostly ignorant compared to some of my hero's out there like the Count and Avos, Water Dragon and many others....
Yes, we all have a lot to learn, but I've spent a fair amount of time researching what's worthwhile in terms of performance enhancements to dozens of cars I've owned over the last 40 years. I've also made some bonehead mistakes along the way and learned from those mistakes. A lot of BS claims are made by aftermarket parts manufacturers, and a lot of people waste a lot of money on them at best, and at worst, they end up messing up perfectly good vehicles.

When you're talking about cars at the level of performance offered by the F-Type and the XE, the OEM engineering is exceptional and hard to improve upon. Manufacturers do tend to be conservative on OEM ECU tunes for the sake of long-term reliability. That's why I said the ECU tune, if done safely and well, is by far the biggest bang for the buck on modern performance cars, but you do risk not being covered in the event of engine problems.

Since you seemed interested, I thought I would offer a couple of simple "tutorials."

Old 10-02-2015, 11:58 PM

The short track in the F Type R AWD really left me in no doubt of how physically fit pro racecar drivers are. The AWD didn't allow hardly any wheel spin, and the acceleration just hammered my body.

I have busted myself up pretty good and am now in decline with permanent nerve damage from breaking my neck, shoulder, brain hemorrhage, etc...I had a good 12 yr run after my surgeries but my race car days (at least on a short track) are clearly over. After the days sessions I felt horrible for a week.

To be able to do that in a more powerful car for hours at a time, wow! ...I can't even imagine the shape the pro drivers must be in. It's funny that they are not even considered athletes in the States....

Hey, here's a great link that really shows off how good the XF really sounds. Hopefully this link works

https://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.autospies.com/news/VIDEO-If-The-All-New-Jaguar-XE-S-Has-A-MEGA-Exhaust-Note-But-No-One-Is-Around-To-Hear-It-Will-It-Make-A-Sound-85606/&sa=U&ved=0CBsQFjAIahUKEwirhtiqwaXIAhXFbB4KHYEdDAU &client=internal-uds-cse&usg=AFQjCNHpRXfqRV5LvRYkDEHk3uwcA14HfQ

If it doesn't, go to Autospies.com and search for Jaguar. The story with video is toward the bottom. Mean *** sounding car!

The following users liked this post:
Foosh (10-03-2015)
Old 10-03-2015, 11:37 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the video. The link didn't work but I was able to find it by searching for "Jaguar" on the autospies.com site.

I was impressed and happy with what I heard. The V6 exhaust note in the XE does sound great and very similar to the V6 in the F-Type with the base sport (non-active) exhaust, although it's probably not quite as aggressive. It still has some of the pops and crackles, but sounds as if it has been toned down a bit by different resonator and muffler designs. Active switchable exhaust also would add a slightly deeper tone.

I think it's a nice compromise for the street. It's loud enough to please most enthusiasts, but so much as to turn-off passengers and neighbors, which the F-Type has a tendency to do. I think it's a better fit for the market it is targeted toward.

Disclaimer: The audio quality of videos can be deceiving and often does not accurately represent what is heard by the human ear. A side-by-side comparison (recorded on the same equipment the same way) of the F-Type base sport exhaust and the XE would be a better yardstick.

I fixed the link:

http://www.autospies.com/news/VIDEO-...A-Sound-85606/

Last edited by Foosh; 10-03-2015 at 11:54 AM.
Old 10-04-2015, 09:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 346 Likes on 239 Posts

im pretty sure SPIRES is going to come out with a full open loud system. I bought the Stage 3 spires exhaust for my 2012 XKR with the non-performance active exhaust. The different was INSANE. It took out dual middle resonator/muffler combo for straight back pipes and switched out the rear bladder for a smaller one with no valves (full V8 all the way)...

THE DIFFERENCE IS INSANE. Best money I ever spent on the car!

It pops, it crackles, it snaps like a F-type R (maybe a tad less but thats not a bad thing). It has a tone and bellow that is so satisfying you drive it in sport mode to get the revs up to hear it....

It has made a night and day difference in the pleasure of driving the car.

Spires im sure will make a very aggressive XE exhaust that will tune it up to F-Type V6 S level or higher.

Loth

Old 10-04-2015, 12:03 PM

Thanks Foosh, I forgot how to do links properly. Do your insert lIke your wold a photo?

You nailed in on the sound. Very F Type but without the full on insanity. The XE tailpipes were much smaller than on the F Type, and I don't recall seeing any vacuum controlled exhaust valves. Tailpipe would be a fast change if that's holding some of the crackle and pop in.

While the ones we were driving did not have the 380 hp engine, it was so fast I (really everyone) was convinced they had to have the stronger engine. On the second I found out they were the 340 tune.

The 340 hp XE is shocking fast. It feels like it can crack 5 seconds to 60 mph easily.

The 380 hp version should be in the mid to lower 4 seconds. (Was it Car & Driver that timed an F Type S at 4.2 seconds?) I bet the exhaust will be more F Type crazy in sound and size.

I started drifting and thought about how much fun this would be to tune. Pulley, reflash, a valved exhaust. A well equipped XE with the 340 hp engine should be mid $40k. How long until they start coming back off lease, and can be sold as certified pre-owned?

This is going to open up a whole new world people that never would've considered a Jaguar before.

Old 10-04-2015, 01:48 PM
Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

Thanks Foosh, I forgot how to do links properly. Do your insert lIke your wold a photo?

You nailed in on the sound. Very F Type but without the full on insanity. The XE tailpipes were much smaller than on the F Type, and I don't recall seeing any vacuum controlled exhaust valves. Tailpipe would be a fast change if that's holding some of the crackle and pop in.

While the ones we were driving did not have the 380 hp engine, it was so fast I (really everyone) was convinced they had to have the stronger engine. On the second I found out they were the 340 tune.

The 340 hp XE is shocking fast. It feels like it can crack 5 seconds to 60 mph easily.

The 380 hp version should be in the mid to lower 4 seconds. (Was it Car & Driver that timed an F Type S at 4.2 seconds?) I bet the exhaust will be more F Type crazy in sound and size.

I started drifting and thought about how much fun this would be to tune. Pulley, reflash, a valved exhaust. A well equipped XE with the 340 hp engine should be mid $40k. How long until they start coming back off lease, and can be sold as certified pre-owned?

This is going to open up a whole new world people that never would've considered a Jaguar before.
I find it strange that the S doesn't have the 380hp variant. Then again looking at the performance from this C&D review the 340hp is nothing to sneeze at.

2017 Jaguar XE S Test ? Review ? Car and Driver

I don't put much stock in 0-60 times because when does that actually happen? the 5-60 is more telling and I think it's impressive; good numbers for 30-50 and 50-70.

Last edited by Bellanca_XF; 10-04-2015 at 01:53 PM.
Old 10-04-2015, 04:06 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Bellanca_XF
I find it strange that the S doesn't have the 380hp variant. Then again looking at the performance from this C&D review the 340hp is nothing to sneeze at.
The engine output curves of the F-Type 340 and 380 HP V6 versions show that there is essentially no difference in either HP or torque up to 5K rpm. Torque remains virtually the same above that point but the 380 has a few extra ft. lbs. After 5K is where you see the extra HP in the 380, which gives it a little extra top-end speed.

The very slight difference in 0-60 and 0-100 acceleration is not primarily due to HP and torque differences, but because the 380HP version of the F-Type (V6S) has more aggressive gearing. Both engines are identical except for ECU tuning.

Customers who have had their cars tuned have found huge gains on the 340, and very minimal gains on the 380.

Old 10-04-2015, 05:44 PM
Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
The engine output curves of the F-Type 340 and 380 HP V6 versions show that there is essentially no difference in either HP or torque up to 5K rpm. Torque remains virtually the same above that point but the 380 has a few extra ft. lbs. After 5K is where you see the extra HP in the 380, which gives it a little extra top-end speed.

The very slight difference in 0-60 and 0-100 acceleration is not primarily due to HP and torque differences, but because the 380HP version of the F-Type (V6S) has more aggressive gearing. Both engines are identical except for ECU tuning.

Customers who have had their cars tuned have found huge gains on the 340, and very minimal gains on the 380.
Interesting...the only reason I'd go for the 380 on the F-Type is to get the LSD, I'm actually surprised it isn't even offered on the base F-Type.

Old 10-04-2015, 06:51 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Bellanca_XF
Interesting...the only reason I'd go for the 380 on the F-Type is to get the LSD, I'm actually surprised it isn't even offered on the base F-Type.
In my view, about the only good reason to purchase the V6S (380) over the base (340) F-Type is to get the LSD. It isn't even offered as an option on the base, specifically so that buyers will pony up the additional $15K premium for the S.

However, unless you're going to track frequently, you're not going to be able to utilize the advantages often, if ever, on the street. I drove all V6 and V8 versions, and for me, it was a no brainer to buy the base as my mostly daily driver. It is a remarkable bargain.