XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

A used XE vs. a new Mustang GT?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2017, 01:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A used XE vs. a new Mustang GT?

I am basically in the market for a new sporty car over the next few months. My budget is around $35k. After doing lots of research, I have narrrowed down to one of 3 possibilities. An Audi S5 (used), which I am slowly loosing interest in. A BRAND NEW 2018 Mustang GT. Or, possibly a slightly used 2017 Jaguar XE 35t with AWD.

The pros and cons are as follows.

Mustang GT - American Muscle. 460HP V8, and 0-60 in sub 4.0sec. Around 100lbs more than an XE, which is pretty good for its size and being a V8. But, the Mustang is RWD only, and for $35K, it will have very few options, and cloth interior. Gas mileage on the highway is around 25mpg once the engine is broken in. One big disadvantage, is the Mustang GT is LOUD, which I love, but the neighbors don't. LOL. But, if I get the active valve exhaust, it should be tolerable when I start it up at 5am for work.

Jag XE- Much more refined than the Mustang. Light years ahead in suspension and steering. Extremely quiet and comfortable when commuting to work. A very nimble car, and very nice to drive. Great acceleration, and AWD for the slippery winter roads we get here in the PacNW. Leather interior, and a Supercharged V6 with 340hp. Slightly better gas mileage. The cons of this, is I would have to get one with a good 15,000 miles used. I would need to make sure it has plenty of warranty left to make sure there are no issues. The other notable con is that it is European. Anything European will be much more expensive to own and repair in the long run. Basically, I have to make sure I get a good one, and pray it never breaks down.

Any other issues I really need to be concerned with?

Last edited by Condor1970; 12-14-2017 at 01:18 AM.
Old 12-14-2017, 02:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 875 Posts

Jags are pretty reliable. I've had several with only issues with my first XF, and they were resolved after a year or so. Our XE has been awesome. The balance of a 5 year warranty would be good if you can get it.

It sounds as though the XE suits what you need, and the 4 door shape is pretty handy if you need to cart anyone around. I think the Jag is prettier than the 'stang if it is in the right colour. Ours is red and looks awesome. They look better one the road with all of the LEDs on than parked.

Over here the mustangs are still a bit of a novelty and a head turner, possibly moreso than the XE.

I'd have the XE, but either would be good.

Old 12-14-2017, 06:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

The Mustang is a bit of a hooligan's car, but I do see quite a few here in England now RH drive is available. Jag XE and Mustang are two very different cars; you'll get a lot of notice in the Mustang, but it might not be the notice you want. The Jaguar is much more discreet.

Old 12-14-2017, 07:15 AM
Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Another thing to consider is that with the Mustang your insurance will likely go up vs a 4 door jag.

I too considered the 'stang, the jag was too well put together to pass up. The jag has way stronger (more rigid) construction than the stang, I've read like 60% stronger due to the manufacturing methods and advanced aluminum bonding.

If you like to turn heads, its a no-brainer. Not to mention there are like 500 mustangs per 1 Jaguar on the road.

If you get the stang, please consider this one (lol)

2017 ROUSH P-51 Mustang

Or, for half the cost:

http://tindolford.com/ford-mustang-r...tonia-nc-71370

I've put 16K on my Jag with zero mechanical failures. With the Jag you should get the remainder of the pre-paid service intervals (5 years on a new car) so that is a real advantage/ value over the ford product. Yes, parts will cost more after that.

I live in Texas, where everybody and thier dog drives a mustang.

Finally, there is a plug and play tune for the XE that will reliably get you over 415 HP on that Jag v6, for less than $1000.00. Check out this forum for the velocityap forum discount on the tune.

Last edited by Austin7; 12-14-2017 at 07:54 AM.
Old 12-14-2017, 07:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

The Jag XE is a 5 year all service included warranty, so I would not be concerned on that.

Mustang and XE are so different. I was fortunate enough to drive a GT350 several times last summer. My neighbor's buddy has a GT. Nice looking car. If you want a door car, used XKR for 35K is much finer than any Mustang GT. Heck, buy an XKR for 30K and keep 5K on a pre-paid credit card for repairs.

Here's a 2010 XKR for sale. Has 5.0 V8 at around 500 HP for under 30K

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...5602/overview/

The following users liked this post:
BruceTheQuail (12-14-2017)
Old 12-14-2017, 07:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

I have nothing actually useful to add but Jag vs Mustang rings bells with me, so I'll blather briefly.

For a period of time, eons ago, I owned both a Jag XJS V12 (1988) and a Mustang GT (1992).

Mustangs and (especially) Jags have both changed quite a bit so I won't go into needless detail that would be meaningless here but I was surprised at how well the humble Mustang fared against the Jag in many areas in actual driving and ownership experience...not just reading the spec sheets.

Later I simultaneously owned a Jag XJR and a Thunderbird Super Coupe....a variant many people don't realize ever existed. Same thing. That SC was a pretty darn capable car and was great to drive.

In the end the Fords went away and I'm still driving Jags, which says something.

Cheers
DD

Old 12-14-2017, 08:06 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug
I have nothing actually useful to add but Jag vs Mustang rings bells with me, so I'll blather briefly.

For a period of time, eons ago, I owned both a Jag XJS V12 (1988) and a Mustang GT (1992).

Mustangs and (especially) Jags have both changed quite a bit so I won't go into needless detail that would be meaningless here but I was surprised at how well the humble Mustang fared against the Jag in many areas in actual driving and ownership experience...not just reading the spec sheets.

Later I simultaneously owned a Jag XJR and a Thunderbird Super Coupe....a variant many people don't realize ever existed. Same thing. That SC was a pretty darn capable car and was great to drive.

In the end the Fords went away and I'm still driving Jags, which says something.

Cheers
DD
Originally Posted by Condor1970
I am basically in the market for a new sporty car over the next few months. My budget is around $35k. After doing lots of research, I have narrrowed down to one of 3 possibilities. An Audi S5 (used), which I am slowly loosing interest in. A BRAND NEW 2018 Mustang GT. Or, possibly a slightly used 2017 Jaguar XE 35t with AWD.

The pros and cons are as follows.

Mustang GT - American Muscle. 460HP V8, and 0-60 in sub 4.0sec. Around 100lbs more than an XE, which is pretty good for its size and being a V8. But, the Mustang is RWD only, and for $35K, it will have very few options, and cloth interior. Gas mileage on the highway is around 25mpg once the engine is broken in. One big disadvantage, is the Mustang GT is LOUD, which I love, but the neighbors don't. LOL. But, if I get the active valve exhaust, it should be tolerable when I start it up at 5am for work.

Jag XE- Much more refined than the Mustang. Light years ahead in suspension and steering. Extremely quiet and comfortable when commuting to work. A very nimble car, and very nice to drive. Great acceleration, and AWD for the slippery winter roads we get here in the PacNW. Leather interior, and a Supercharged V6 with 340hp. Slightly better gas mileage. The cons of this, is I would have to get one with a good 15,000 miles used. I would need to make sure it has plenty of warranty left to make sure there are no issues. The other notable con is that it is European. Anything European will be much more expensive to own and repair in the long run. Basically, I have to make sure I get a good one, and pray it never breaks down.

Any other issues I really need to be concerned with?
Not much more to add but I've owned a mustang gt previously and now have a 35t. They are very different cars and I love them both. The Jaguar is more refined but still fun to drive. Hard to really compare as they are different classes of cars.

Old 12-14-2017, 08:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 205 Likes on 188 Posts

its hard to say because they're quite different cars

but one thing i do wanna add is, dont worry about your neighbors if your car is loud.

Old 12-21-2017, 12:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

If you intend to track (or mod for more power) Mustang is the way to go. If you would like to avoid getting disinvited from polite society, go with XE.

Old 12-21-2017, 04:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 875 Posts

The XE is pretty awesome on the track - actually I preferred it to the v8 f type on smaller tracks - but acceleration over about 110kph in the XE is nowhere near as good as the v6 S, and acceleration over about 110kph is the v8's party piece so it scorches the XE in the straights.

I havent driven a mustang though so I cant compare.

The following users liked this post:
mosesbotbol (12-21-2017)
Old 12-23-2017, 07:25 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a 2010 Camaro ss and it was fast and a good car but I like the Jaguar better. Just feels like a better driving experience plus add the AWD and just a better choice for me.