XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

VelocityAP Jaguar XE Progressive Rate Lowering Springs

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 12:22 AM
Sponsor
Received 822 Likes on 467 Posts
Default VelocityAP Jaguar XE Progressive Rate Lowering Springs

Hi Everyone,

There's been some chatter about this, but our prototypes are done. We're looking for a test-fitter, PM me for details. Once the fitment is confirmed, we will go into production.

About the springs: Like our FType, Aston Martin, Audi R8 products, these utilize a tapered coil design and X5 high strength steel. Many claim to have 'progressive' rate springs but actually have progressive wind coils.

Our springs actually utilize both progressive wind and a tapered coil design which give a true progressive rate. These setups have garnered some great reviews on other vehicles, the main reason being that ride quality is exceptionally good in spite of the drop.

Drop should be just a hair under 1".

O: (1)250-485-5126
E: Stuart@VelocityAP.com
www.velocityap.com

The following 2 users liked this post by Stuart@VelocityAP:
Panthro (09-23-2023), Teckademics (05-31-2017)
Old 05-31-2017, 07:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 357 Likes on 174 Posts

Stuart,

Please tell us how these vary for the RWD and AWD XE's? The ride height in the front of the AWD and RWD is very much different so I don't think these will mate up for both types of cars or will they? I can tell you if I lower my AWD 35T XE 1" the rears will be tucked and the fronts will still have gap and the overall stance will look just as poor as it does stock.

Can you offer just the front spring set for the AWD XE possibly as that should " Level " the current stance in these units?

The RWD guys have it made as these springs will give it the ideal look I feel and I a very envious.

Please tell us any if at all any draw backpack for the AWD cars for the obvious reasons and or the effects/affects of also having Dynamic Suspension option for some.

Old 05-31-2017, 08:18 AM
Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts
Smile What I've been waiting for....

Exactly what I've been waiting for! Excited.

The following users liked this post:
BigCat09 (05-31-2017)
Old 05-31-2017, 04:53 PM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by BigCat09
Stuart,

Please tell us how these vary for the RWD and AWD XE's? The ride height in the front of the AWD and RWD is very much different so I don't think these will mate up for both types of cars or will they? I can tell you if I lower my AWD 35T XE 1" the rears will be tucked and the fronts will still have gap and the overall stance will look just as poor as it does stock.

Can you offer just the front spring set for the AWD XE possibly as that should " Level " the current stance in these units?

The RWD guys have it made as these springs will give it the ideal look I feel and I a very envious.

Please tell us any if at all any draw backpack for the AWD cars for the obvious reasons and or the effects/affects of also having Dynamic Suspension option for some.
These were prototyped off AWD Springs, so they may fit your car just fine. Once we have fitment confirmed on these we can look at adjusting in 10mm increments if you want an unequal drop F&R vs stock.

www.velocityap.com

Old 06-22-2017, 12:31 PM
Sponsor

Great news. Prototypes are fitted to thus far rave reviews. Will have a proper photoshoot coming up but these should give you a good idea. About 30mm or 1.25" drop which is a bit lower than we normally go but this car sits very high stock, compared to some of the other vehicles we've made products for.

Will be going into production shortly and will announce a 'pre-purchase' special deal with details.

www.velocityap.com

Panthro (09-23-2023)
Old 07-08-2017, 01:32 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Stuart,

These lowering springs seems to be what I have been looking for and I do appreciate the r&d in the progressive spring rate of the coils.
Am definitely up for ordering a set for my rwd xe.

I have got several questions:

- are the prototypes fitted on the awd xe or rwd?
- what is the approximate drop height to be expected, 1.25" as mentioned or 7/8" as specified on your website? 1.25" sounds about right, but 7/8" seems to be a minimal drop.
- will there be another set with a different drop heights as above?
- when will pre-purchase deal be ready for ordering?

Old 07-10-2017, 11:31 AM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by chariot44
Hi Stuart,

These lowering springs seems to be what I have been looking for and I do appreciate the r&d in the progressive spring rate of the coils.
Am definitely up for ordering a set for my rwd xe.

I have got several questions:

- are the prototypes fitted on the awd xe or rwd?
These were fitted to an AWD. We are pretty certain that the fitment will be the same for all the models, based on some of the research we have done and our experience with other Jag models. Won't know for certain until we test fit some but in the event that they did not work out we'd refund the customers who had the 2WD.

- what is the approximate drop height to be expected, 1.25" as mentioned or 7/8" as specified on your website? 1.25" sounds about right, but 7/8" seems to be a minimal drop.
1.25" is correct. Website text was probably copied over from the FType springs and needs correction. Most of our stuff we're usually aiming for just under 1", some of the exotics sit a little lower to begin with but on the XE we deliberately went for a slightly greater drop because it has a little more wheel to fender gap in stock form.

- will there be another set with a different drop heights as above?
Unless people feel that the drop as shown above is not what they are after we'll probably just make one spring. Our aim with our spring line is for all of the setups we do to be 'OEM+' rather than slammed so they retain suspension function and geometry and don't ruin the handling or practicality of the vehicle. Generally we can adjust in roughly 10mm increments.

- when will pre-purchase deal be ready for ordering?
Only reason I had not put it up yet is we're waiting on some McLaren 570S springs to be test fitted and just finishing up the same for the Huracan. Due to the fact that the production/sale inventory comes in via Sea Freight, there's about a 6-8 week lead time. We can announce this pre-purchase deal now if people want to jump on it, as long as you understand that we're still waiting on sign-off on a couple of other parts to make up that shipment and it might add a couple weeks to that 6-8 week time frame.

www.velocityap.com

Old 07-11-2017, 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by Stuart@VelocityAP
These were fitted to an AWD. We are pretty certain that the fitment will be the same for all the models, based on some of the research we have done and our experience with other Jag models. Won't know for certain until we test fit some but in the event that they did not work out we'd refund the customers who had the 2WD.

1.25" is correct. Website text was probably copied over from the FType springs and needs correction. Most of our stuff we're usually aiming for just under 1", some of the exotics sit a little lower to begin with but on the XE we deliberately went for a slightly greater drop because it has a little more wheel to fender gap in stock form.

Unless people feel that the drop as shown above is not what they are after we'll probably just make one spring. Our aim with our spring line is for all of the setups we do to be 'OEM+' rather than slammed so they retain suspension function and geometry and don't ruin the handling or practicality of the vehicle. Generally we can adjust in roughly 10mm increments.

Only reason I had not put it up yet is we're waiting on some McLaren 570S springs to be test fitted and just finishing up the same for the Huracan. Due to the fact that the production/sale inventory comes in via Sea Freight, there's about a 6-8 week lead time. We can announce this pre-purchase deal now if people want to jump on it, as long as you understand that we're still waiting on sign-off on a couple of other parts to make up that shipment and it might add a couple weeks to that 6-8 week time frame.

Thank you Stuart for the explanation.

I am definitely not looking to slam the car and ruining the suspension travel nor the overall handling of the XE. It was the handling (and the looks of course) that made me choose the car.
Thing is, my RWD looks different from other RWD XEs that I know of. I am not certain if it's the sports suspension that came with my R-Sport trim (25t) that made the difference or a different (wrong maybe?) set of springs was used for my car.

My front rides an approximate 13mm higher than the rear, photo as below, thus the question of your making another set of springs for an uneven drop.
I do hope to make the space between the wheel arches uniform and not to dip too much. It should work with an additional approximate 10mm drop for the front.

As for the pre-purchase deal, if there are details on that, please do post. I believe there are people interested, other than myself.
As long as people are aware of the production and possible ship out time-frame prior to the sealing of the pre-purchase deal, it should not be too much of an issue.

Off-Topic:
It will be good if there are updates or possible push-out dates for the exhaust and tuning maps (petrol/diesel variants 20t/25t/20d) as well.

Old 07-11-2017, 01:47 PM
Sponsor

Sorry, correction for this thread - the original equipment Springs we used for development were from an AWD vehicle. These are the ones we used for analysis and rate testing and so on.

Test vehicle was a 2WD. So I would say with almost 100% certainty that this product is going to fit both.

www.velocityap.com

Old 07-12-2017, 08:47 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry, correction for this thread - the original equipment Springs we used for development were from an AWD vehicle. These are the ones we used for analysis and rate testing and so on.

Test vehicle was a 2WD. So I would say with almost 100% certainty that this product is going to fit both.

I don't think it's a question of fitment but a question of similar results on both RWD and AWD. From the factory AWD sits higher in the front. RWD sits higher in the back. I believe I'm speaking for everyone interested in your product, but RWD people just want to lower front and back by 1.25". AWD people want to lower the front by 1.75" and the rear by 1.25" to compensate for the abnormally high suspension in the front.

Last edited by Teckademics; 07-12-2017 at 08:49 AM.
chariot44 (07-12-2017)
Old 07-12-2017, 01:37 PM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by Teckademics
I don't think it's a question of fitment but a question of similar results on both RWD and AWD. From the factory AWD sits higher in the front. RWD sits higher in the back. I believe I'm speaking for everyone interested in your product, but RWD people just want to lower front and back by 1.25". AWD people want to lower the front by 1.75" and the rear by 1.25" to compensate for the abnormally high suspension in the front.
If that is the case it should be possible to make some adjustments. 10mm increments is generally the amount which we can add or remove to a spring design. If you wanted to go from 31mm drop to 41mm drop it would be possible to do something around that level.

Bear in mind that the standard tolerance for spring ride height is about 4mm (+/- 2mm)

www.velocityap.com

Old 07-12-2017, 10:15 PM

Yep, what Teckademics said was pretty much spot on.

Just that for my case, I will prefer using the AWD springs with the additional drop for my RWD XE. My front just sits higher from all other RWD that I know of.
Spring height tolerance should not be of any issue.

Old 07-13-2017, 05:20 PM
Sponsor

FWIW I think that the spring setup we have should work pretty well on the AWD even if you have a higher front ride height now.

If the OEM AWD Spring was longer than the 2WD, our VAP springs would have sat too high on the front of this 2WD car relative to the rear.

The only other possibility is that both AWD & 2WD front springs are the same length and that the AWD strut mount is slightly raised up relative to the control arm. But I don't believe this is the case. We have seen this on the AWD FTypes, but it is so far raised up that the AWD cars have a front spring that's dramatically shorter than the AWD ones.

Again, in this instance, since the protoypes were designed off an AWD set, we know this isn't the case. If the AWD spring was 3" shorter than the 2WD in OEM form, this 2WD car's nose would be dragging on the ground.

www.velocityap.com

Old 07-13-2017, 06:20 PM
Sponsor

PRE-PURCHASE IS LIVE ON OUR WEBSITE

Okay everyone, Springs are now added & live on the website:
Jaguar XE Progressive Rate Lowering Springs

Looks like we will have Huracan and McLaren 570S fitments confirmed and our stock order will be underway within the next week or so. Our lead time including time on the water is around 6 weeks, add in another one for SNAFUs - ship date is estimated at 8 weeks from now.

So you save $200 but have to wait 2 months longer give or take.

If you want to jump on the deal, use coupon code 'XESPRINGS' at checkout and the discount will be applied. Code is Valid until August 13th.

www.velocityap.com

Last edited by Stuart@VelocityAP; 07-13-2017 at 06:34 PM.
Old 07-14-2017, 02:49 AM

FWIW I think that the spring setup we have should work pretty well on the AWD even if you have a higher front ride height now.

If the OEM AWD Spring was longer than the 2WD, our VAP springs would have sat too high on the front of this 2WD car relative to the rear.

The only other possibility is that both AWD & 2WD front springs are the same length and that the AWD strut mount is slightly raised up relative to the control arm. But I don't believe this is the case. We have seen this on the AWD FTypes, but it is so far raised up that the AWD cars have a front spring that's dramatically shorter than the AWD ones.

Again, in this instance, since the protoypes were designed off an AWD set, we know this isn't the case. If the AWD spring was 3" shorter than the 2WD in OEM form, this 2WD car's nose would be dragging on the ground.
Thank you Stuart. I get what you are saying with regards to the spring set for AWD & 2WD. Just to clear any possible confusions as to which drivetrain my XE is on, its 2WD or RWD.
Nonetheless, after zooming in on the measuring tape in the pictures above, the sample car and mine is sitting at similar stock heights. Therefore, I believe that these progressive springs @1.25" will yield a similar stance.

However, should I require an additional 10mm increase in the rear spring height, will that be a possible order?
I am hoping to keep your current specification for the front but to increase the rear height by 10mm(+/-).
Reason:
1) In hope of bringing unnecessary mid.section undercarriage damage to a minimum when driving across road humps - Had reviews from a fellow xe owner with this issue. He is on 30mm lowering springs.
2) Free up a tiny bit more compression in the rear absorbers and, maybe, reducing compression stress.
3) Achieve an uniform gap for the front & rear wheel arch.

Old 07-17-2017, 03:03 PM
Sponsor

Thank you Stuart. I get what you are saying with regards to the spring set for AWD & 2WD. Just to clear any possible confusions as to which drivetrain my XE is on, its 2WD or RWD.
Nonetheless, after zooming in on the measuring tape in the pictures above, the sample car and mine is sitting at similar stock heights. Therefore, I believe that these progressive springs @1.25" will yield a similar stance.

However, should I require an additional 10mm increase in the rear spring height, will that be a possible order?
I am hoping to keep your current specification for the front but to increase the rear height by 10mm(+/-).
Reason:
1) In hope of bringing unnecessary mid.section undercarriage damage to a minimum when driving across road humps - Had reviews from a fellow xe owner with this issue. He is on 30mm lowering springs.
2) Free up a tiny bit more compression in the rear absorbers and, maybe, reducing compression stress.
3) Achieve an uniform gap for the front & rear wheel arch.
We can have 10mm higher rear springs made. I probably wouldn't want to make an actual production run of them until they were tested first.

www.velocityap.com

Old 07-18-2017, 12:45 AM

We can have 10mm higher rear springs made. I probably wouldn't want to make an actual production run of them until they were tested first.
Will be happy to test them out, given the chance. I am located in Asia though.
Should the production run start after testings from your side, will I be able to place any pre-orders with the coupon code?

From a few interested buddies of mine: Will the springs affect the usability of their adaptive dynamics or configurable dynamics that they have opted for during purchase.

Old 07-18-2017, 09:27 AM
Sponsor

Will be happy to test them out, given the chance. I am located in Asia though.
Should the production run start after testings from your side, will I be able to place any pre-orders with the coupon code?

From a few interested buddies of mine: Will the springs affect the usability of their adaptive dynamics or configurable dynamics that they have opted for during purchase.
I think what would happen is that we will put the existing prototypes into production, and make 1 extra set of rears if that's what you wanted to try.

No, these springs should not affect the adaptive dynamics systems, these should function as normal. We've done lots of setups for FTypes and even Audi R8, Lamborghini Huracan etc. which have adaptive damping and they are all functioning nicely when paired with the springs.

www.velocityap.com

chariot44 (07-19-2017)
Old 07-19-2017, 06:14 AM

Thank you Stuart, that sounds superb!
I will add a note on the rear springs during my purchase on your site.

Old 08-01-2017, 04:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, really interested in a set of lower springs for mine.
will these springs work ok on my R-sport with 20" wheels fitted? They won't rub or anything?
Also how much lower will they take mine with it already having the lower "R" suspension , is it 30mm off all models inc mine or just 30mm off the standard height xe' s and not as much from the already lowered "R".
Hope that makes sense.
Cheers

Quick Reply: VelocityAP Jaguar XE Progressive Rate Lowering Springs