XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

VelocityAP Jaguar XE Progressive Rate Lowering Springs

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 07:49 PM
Sponsor
Received 823 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by Kensta
Hi, really interested in a set of lower springs for mine.
will these springs work ok on my R-sport with 20" wheels fitted? They won't rub or anything?
Also how much lower will they take mine with it already having the lower "R" suspension , is it 30mm off all models inc mine or just 30mm off the standard height xe' s and not as much from the already lowered "R".
Hope that makes sense.
Cheers
I don't have a concrete answer regarding the drop. I think based on the data we have they should be fine with 20" wheels, as long as the offset is not too extreme (if stock, should be 100% fine, aftermarket tends to have larger offsets.)

On the lowering just based on our experience with other Jag stuff, I think the overall ride height would end up being the same, so probably not as much total drop on your car if it's already sitting lower.

O: (1)250-485-5126
E: Stuart@VelocityAP.com
www.velocityap.com

Old 08-25-2017, 04:34 PM
Sponsor

Fitment confirmed on the 2WD. This is with the different front springs.

www.velocityap.com

The following users liked this post:
Panthro (09-23-2023)
Old 08-26-2017, 07:44 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

wow looks excellent.

Old 08-28-2017, 11:53 AM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by steel12
wow looks excellent.
Thanks. We work really hard at getting the gap 'right' for what our objectives are: A nice visual, improved body roll but OEM level ride quality, and retained suspension function. The best way I can describe our spring setups is like a factory sport option.

www.velocityap.com

Old 09-07-2017, 08:00 AM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

I've noticed the back end on the XE is pretty loose...even prone to some snap oversteer if you're not careful.

Stuart, could you explain to a suspension noob like me how your spring springs would affect the dynamics of the car, other than body roll? My limited understanding is that stiffer springs in the rear tend to increase oversteer, but in this case both the front and back are stiffer I would guess?

Old 09-07-2017, 11:59 AM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by alphakinase
I've noticed the back end on the XE is pretty loose...even prone to some snap oversteer if you're not careful.

Stuart, could you explain to a suspension noob like me how your spring springs would affect the dynamics of the car, other than body roll? My limited understanding is that stiffer springs in the rear tend to increase oversteer, but in this case both the front and back are stiffer I would guess?
It's not entirely that simple. Although if you lower the car and return the car to factory alignment then it takes a lot of the variables out of it.

Body roll will be reduced. If you stiffen both front and rear at the same time, the net effect on understeer/oversteer should be neutral, again, assuming that all other things are equal.

That's the simplified version. Where it gets more complicated is that for example, if you lower the car beyond a certain point, you may go beyond the point where adjustment can be brought back to factory spec. With our moderate drop most of the cars we do springs for can be aligned at factory spec.

On the FType for example, the front with a 7/8" drop will be maxed out for caster adjustment so you will pick up a little bit of a caster angle on the front. Adding caster tends to make the car more stable/want to go in a straight line.

That's just one example, but camber/caster/toe etc. are all interrelated. What I would suggest if you find the car a little too tail happy is to look at altering your toe angle on the rear to make it a little more stable.

www.velocityap.com

alphakinase (09-09-2017)
Old 09-10-2017, 12:05 PM
Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

I felt oversteer at higher speeds with the factory suspension as well a a loosey-goosey bounce on turns at higer speeds, and the car had a tendency to "float" at 80 MPH or over (which is legal here in Texas on certain roads). All this was greatly reduced after the VAP springs lowered the car and noticeably improved the aerodynamics. Therefore its way/ far more stable on the back end at higher speeds than before.

As part of the spring installs I also had the car aligned professionally at soulspeed.com , those folks set up for race days and the owner pits for one of the Trans Am Competitors, really knows his stuff. I'm sure that helped too.

As with any mod, there is a trade off after installing springs that lowered the car. I do scrape ground far more often in my City driveways, and if you hit a giant hump on a toll at 85 while loaded down with three passangers, you may scrape (happened once to me). But I've never hit so hard I was worried, and the performance advantages are remarkable. Just don't go parking on a train track crossing....and watch your nose going into parking enterances, you are now low up there like a Vette.

Did I mention how much better the car looked after getting the springs? Big improvement in stance and look.

Last edited by Austin7; 09-10-2017 at 12:12 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Austin7:
alphakinase (09-10-2017), Panthro (09-23-2023), Stuart@VelocityAP (09-11-2017)
Old 09-10-2017, 01:21 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Thanks Austin7. That sure sounds like an improvement in handling, and from the picures posted I agree it looks way better.

The snap-oversteer I was talking about sounds a bit more dramatic than what you describe. Have you ever taken the XE around a corner and drifted it hard? When you do, be really careful of it snapping back towards the other direction when you catch the slide. The rear end can sometimes instantly lose all traction, shifting all the weight to the front. The result is a bunch of small slides back and forth until the rear gains traction again. Not fun, actually pretty scary. I think it's a combination of the open differential and sh*tty all-weather tires that leads to this behavior (plus some user error of course )

I have a '99 vette that I drive sometimes on weekends, so I can relate to all of the scraping. I wonder if there's some kind of plastic guard piece that could be attached to the XE so that when scraping happens, it's not catastrophic.

I'm in the Austin area, so I'll keep a lookout for your XE. I'd actaully be really interested in some A to B comparisons, since our cars are virtually the same spec but you have the springs and ECU tune.

Old 09-11-2017, 10:51 AM
Sponsor

I'm in the Austin area, so I'll keep a lookout for your XE. I'd actaully be really interested in some A to B comparisons, since our cars are virtually the same spec but you have the springs and ECU tune.
Sounds like a race brewing....

www.velocityap.com

Old 10-06-2017, 01:43 AM
Sponsor

Hi Guys,

This production run is now finished, included some Huracan and McLaren 570 Springs at the same time. We should have in warehouse in about 3 weeks.

www.velocityap.com

Old 12-07-2017, 07:39 PM
Sponsor

Hi Everyone,

These are now in stock, ready to ship for 2WD and AWD models.

Thanks for your support.

www.velocityap.com

Old 03-02-2018, 01:10 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have been on VelocityAp's springs for several months now, and I am glad to be driving on them. The lowering springs improved both my car's handling, by notches, and it's definitely looking wicked.

Through uneven roads, tarmac, it feels so much less bouncier as compared to when I had the original springs. Body roll has been reduced significantly, since, and I am able to navigate corners with more confidence and without having to use as much knee support onto the door/center console.

As for the looks, I have nothing but good comments from people on how nicely my car is sat without being overly low. Ride height is good for where I am located and I am able to enter/ exit all of the carparks on my usual commutes. Even so, I will take extra care and be extra slow when I meet with higher bump stops/ humps. I have had the bottom of my center-carriage bumped onto the humps after clearing the front 2 wheels. With extra caution, those will be a breeze to clear.
However, I will definitely avoid entering into buildings or carparks with any form of bump stops/ humps after a slope. Any form of lowered cars should stay clear from those.

For the negatives, there will be occasional knocking noises when the terrain to be driven on is more uneven than usual. I will be trying to minimize this by adding coil sleeves to the springs.
Should there be any progress, I will update when I can.

@Stuart, Should there be any recommended coil sleeves to be used, please do let me know. Thank you.

Panthro (09-23-2023)
Old 03-02-2018, 10:27 AM
Sponsor

Thanks for the wonderful review. I'll chat about sleeves with our manufacturer.

www.velocityap.com

Old 05-14-2018, 06:40 PM
Sponsor

Flash sale on these progressive rate lowering springs. 30% off for the next week using coupon code XESPRINGSALE

Just make sure to specify 2WD/AWD when ordering.

www.velocityap.com

Old 11-19-2019, 12:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is this an AWD model or RWD model with the springs?

Old 11-19-2019, 12:51 PM
Old 11-20-2019, 12:31 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ben kuper
RWD

Old 12-11-2020, 07:16 PM

Does anyone have any experience with these Velocity lowering springs and the 20 inch propeller wheels on a 2017 R Sport?

Old 12-12-2020, 08:17 AM
Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Although I have no R-sport, I'm pretty sure they'll fit no problem.

I've tried the Velocity AP and the H&R springs...I prefer the VAP if comfort is a priority, which it would be if i had 20's for sure, as they tend to transmit bumps more than 18's. The H&R's need spacers up front to level the car.

After trying both, I've opted to save up for the recently released KW V-3 set, which will allow you to adjust spring rates, set alternate heights, and allows for rebound rate adjustment. A significant advancement over springs alone. But also 4x the cost.

Last edited by Austin7; 12-12-2020 at 08:25 AM.
Panthro (09-23-2023)