XF (X260) 2015 onwards

2016 Jag XF Cheapened!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 06:10 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Wolfy
bottom line- when old-timer Jagsters like myself think about a Jag, we think LUXURY WOOD and LEATHER, not SPORT.
Looks like Jaguar's new 'brand identity' thing is 90% about sport and only 10% interior luxury.
That's it!!

BMW used to be a luxury performance car. Jag used to be a performance luxury car. BMW has moved to the luxury side. Jag has moved to the performance side. Pretty soon they'll meet in the middle and we'll all be driving Lexuses. Aaaargh.

Old 04-19-2016, 06:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 426 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by hinckley
That's it!!

BMW used to be a luxury performance car. Jag used to be a performance luxury car. BMW has moved to the luxury side. Jag has moved to the performance side. Pretty soon they'll meet in the middle and we'll all be driving Lexuses. Aaaargh.
I think I would classify Lexus as a pseudo performance luxury brand.

Old 04-21-2016, 05:49 PM
Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

What hinckley said. Same for me.

Old 04-21-2016, 06:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 167 Likes on 120 Posts

We rented a 2015 Lexus RX for our recent road trip it was so smooth and quiet the whole way I almost fell asleep. Wife said the ride was nicer than the Jag. Grrr.

Seriously Jaguar needs to bring back the VDP trim.

Old 04-22-2016, 01:20 AM
Received 48 Likes on 40 Posts

bottom line- when old-timer Jagsters like myself think about a Jag, we think LUXURY WOOD and LEATHER, not SPORT.
Looks like Jaguar's new 'brand identity' thing is 90% about sport and only 10% interior luxury.
That's why I'm keeping my X350 indefinitely.
But how often do old-timers buy a NEW Jaguar? If it was every 3-4years, Jaguar could pander to loyalist. But since it's not, they have to go after new buyers.

Old 04-22-2016, 08:23 AM

I have to say that the XF (first and second gen) seems to be a bit of an anomaly. Jag has always stood for warm, luxurious and sophisticated interiors (at least to me). But both gens of the XF seem rather cold and sterile. More Scandinavian than British. I'd really love better quality leather on the seats and any quality leather on the dash and doors. Also, has anyone ever been able to swap out the long horizontal swath of textured aluminum trim on the dash to something nicer/warmer - wood? leather?

Old 04-22-2016, 09:28 AM
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Strangely enough, as much as I love the new vehicle, I do think the leather in my 2013 Land Rover HSE LUX was better quality than the current XF. If nothing else it appeared thicker. Even the remaining LR4 HSE has excellent quality seats as well. Of course, I am aware that there is some give and take with the ventilated seats as they do not look as good as the solid leather seating surface, but if you want the feature it's something you have to live with.

Old 04-22-2016, 09:59 AM
Veteran Member

They haven't released the higher trim levels of the former Portfolio trim that was standard in the Supercharged and XFR. I have that interior and it has the quality people associate with Jaguar. It was definitely a reason I bought the car and why I'll be keeping it until I see something as nice again.

Old 04-22-2016, 11:22 AM
Received 55 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by 2010 Kyanite XFR
They haven't released the higher trim levels of the former Portfolio trim that was standard in the Supercharged and XFR. I have that interior and it has the quality people associate with Jaguar. It was definitely a reason I bought the car and why I'll be keeping it until I see something as nice again.
Same here - on my 3rd XF, all with Portfolio level interiors. Since I'm leasing my XFs, I'll either go for an XJ (before they screw it up also) just for the sake of the very nice interior (but car too big for me), or defect to another brand. Would hate to do that.

Old 04-22-2016, 12:26 PM

For the gen 1 XF, was the Portfolio trim available on the XF-S and lesser models, or only on the XF-R and RS?

Old 04-22-2016, 12:33 PM
Veteran Member

I'm almost positive it was standard on the Supercharged and pretty sure it was available on the lower models as well.

The following users liked this post:
BostonKiller (04-22-2016)
Old 04-22-2016, 08:38 PM
Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by 2010 Kyanite XFR
I'm almost positive it was standard on the Supercharged and pretty sure it was available on the lower models as well.
Exactly right, senior!
My S/C has it (not an option) and my father came close to buying a 2012 XF Portfolio (5.0 N/A)

Old 04-23-2016, 08:50 AM
Received 55 Likes on 31 Posts

Yes, my 2010 5.0 NA had Portfolio, my 2011 SC came standard with it, my current 2014 AWD has it.

That 5.0 NA had the sweetest engine noise piped into the cabin in 'dynamic'. I was disappointed the supercharged engines (both v8, v6) muffle that great V* song.............
The SC sounded great -from the outside though.............

Old 04-25-2016, 06:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

The lack of a v8, the less luxurious interior with a higher price drove me to an f type. Jag has to be careful though as I was almost smitten by the dark side-a Porsche. BMW, as said, has lost its driving dynamics, Mercedes styling is odd, Audi's despite the myth, their interiors changed for the worse years ago, especially the flip up nav. What's left-Porsche. They are the most expensive of the lot, but can't touch Jaguars style. If they make the Pajun, maybe it will warrant another look.i didn't drive the new XF, but I needed the excuse to get the f type. I understand it was worth the swap to the new architecture. Many variables to consider by manufacturers. Volume is what most are after. This is why BMW is no longer "the ultimate driving machine".

Old 04-27-2016, 12:07 PM
Received 70 Likes on 60 Posts

whats the portfoilo difference....? the leather seats on my STR's felt to be about a 1/4 thick.... they never showed any sign of wear....

Old 04-29-2016, 10:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 631 Likes on 409 Posts

Funny to find this thread at the top of the XF forum. The reason is that I have a brand new XF 35t as a loaner while my '12 XK is in for service. I am fairly new to the Jag brand as I bought my first one at the end of last year. So I decided to pop in to see what is being said about this model, what I am reading is exactly what I immediately noted.

The first thing I noticed on the XF was the interior, or I should say the lack of quality. I was thinking maybe I was spoiled by the fact that my XK interior is spectacular, leather dash, great leather seats and leather everything else, all with contrast stitching.

To be honest I knew nothing about the XF, figured perhaps I was being unfair to a car that matches to a 3 series BMW. But no, this is what correlates to a 5 series BMW, or E series Mercedes.

What I do have to say is that this car is HEAVY on the performance side. It is a fun car to drive hard, the only way I know how to drive. It is difficult to believe it is a 4 door sedan. Would I buy this one over the it's competitors, well that I am not sure of, I would think it is certainly in the mix.

Old 04-30-2016, 01:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 167 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by tampamark
The first thing I noticed on the XF was the interior, or I should say the lack of quality. I was thinking maybe I was spoiled by the fact that my XK interior is spectacular, leather dash, great leather seats and leather everything else, all with contrast stitching...

What I do have to say is that this car is HEAVY on the performance side. It is a fun car to drive hard, the only way I know how to drive. It is difficult to believe it is a 4 door sedan. Would I buy this one over the it's competitors, well that I am not sure of, I would think it is certainly in the mix.
So, would you say its lack of interior luxury is more than compensated by its performance & 'fun to drive'? Is it more fun to drive than your XK?

Old 04-30-2016, 11:15 AM
Received 70 Likes on 60 Posts

and i thought my interior was nice../ leather dash leather door panels, contrast stitching......whats going to make it nicer ?

Old 04-30-2016, 01:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 631 Likes on 409 Posts

So, would you say its lack of interior luxury is more than compensated by its performance & 'fun to drive'? Is it more fun to drive than your XK?
The XK feels much more planted, although it suffers from body roll (as compared to my previous BMW 650). The XF is different, quick off the line like a shot. The XK with the 385hp 5.0 liter engine is smooth and really responsive, expecially at highway speed. But from a standstill the DSC wants to kick in, you can turn it off of course, just takes some effort.

I would think it is right in the mix against other comparable cars. Especially if you are trying to lure the middle-aged performance oriented 5 series crowd.

Originally Posted by Injekter
and i thought my interior was nice../ leather dash leather door panels, contrast stitching......whats going to make it nicer ?
Ah, I read the entire thread and no had brought up that they had a nice all leather interior. Would love to see pictures to determine how well it is implemented, because the model I have as a loaner falls right in line with what everyone has said in this thread, not what would be expected from Jaguar.

Old 04-30-2016, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Injekter
Injekter, I think that we're talking about the new (X260) XF which does not have a leather dash, or door panels or the smooth supple/nappa leather that was available on the older (X250) XF. I believe you have the older model with the nicer interior.

Quick Reply: 2016 Jag XF Cheapened!