XF (X260) 2015 onwards

2016 Jag XF Cheapened!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2016, 04:33 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tampamark
I would think it is right in the mix against other comparable cars. Especially if you are trying to lure the middle-aged performance oriented 5 series crowd.
Well, that's me and I agree 100%. My only added nuance is that the new Jag's performance characteristics are closer to what BMWs used to be, but which have slowly been main-streamed out of their cars, especially their AWD cars.

Old 04-30-2016, 05:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 631 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by hinckley
Injekter, I think that we're talking about the new (X260) XF which does not have a leather dash, or door panels or the smooth supple/nappa leather that was available on the older (X250) XF. I believe you have the older model with the nicer interior.
Well, that would explain the difference!

Well, that's me and I agree 100%. My only added nuance is that the new Jag's performance characteristics are closer to what BMWs used to be, but which have slowly been main-streamed out of their cars, especially their AWD cars.
I don't know, my buddy had a '13 BMW 535, it was a hell of a great car! If I was in the market for a 4 door I am not sure which way I would go. Perhaps the biggest kicker in my book would be the fact that you see the 5 series on every corner, at least the Jag has curb appeal from the lesser visibility. That is just me though, I am sure there are just as many folks who desire to be in the majority crowd.

Let 's face it, there are the Lexus and Acura comfy car folks and then the Euro performance sedan types. The beauty of the Jag is that it offered such beautiful appointment and refinement with nice performance. I suppose since they haven't lit the world on fire they are trying to make a charge at the performance folks.

Last edited by tampamark; 04-30-2016 at 05:22 PM.
Old 05-02-2016, 10:38 AM
Received 70 Likes on 60 Posts

OH.... lets just put this to bed with..... Acura is NOT a luxury vehicle...its a really nice Honda and it stops there... walk into a Jag, Merc, or Bmw showroom, and you go... i want that , and that , and one of those....Acura not so much..

Old 05-02-2016, 11:31 AM

I don't know, my buddy had a '13 BMW 535, it was a hell of a great car! If I was in the market for a 4 door I am not sure which way I would go. Perhaps the biggest kicker in my book would be the fact that you see the 5 series on every corner, at least the Jag has curb appeal from the lesser visibility. That is just me though, I am sure there are just as many folks who desire to be in the majority crowd.
I think your 5 Series vs XF comparison is valid. It's a bit odd to say, but I do think that the RWD 5 has a slight edge in luxury, and the XF has a slight edge in driving dynamics.

To me, the bigger difference is when you're comparing the AWD versions of the two cars (and AWD is very important in the northern US and Canada). If I recall, BMW does not offer xDrive 5s in the UK and you're lucky. That system saps any remaining semblance of BMW performance out of the 5. OTOH, Jag is offering an AWD car that sends 90 percent of its power to the rear wheels in dry conditions and can send 90 percent to the front wheels when necessary. Combine that with its brake torque vectoring, and you've got a system that rivals the best and sportiest quattro systems from Audi. As a life-long BMW driver (and more recent Audi driver), that's what sold me on the XF.

Last edited by hinckley; 05-02-2016 at 11:35 AM.
Old 05-02-2016, 03:00 PM
Veteran Member

I can agree with that, it has been over a year since my friend had that 5, I wish I could drive it right now to get a better side-by-side comparison untainted by time. What comes to mind is that the XF has better performance, but whether that is because I am driving it now I do not know! I like this XF very much, the Wife actually loves it, she is not as picky as I am on the details.

The Jag 4 wheel drive implementation sounds very smart. The other compliment I can give the XF is the screen and tech, it is MUCH better than the previous generation screen/tech in my XK. My screen is pretty dull, the XF screen is very bright and higher resolution along with the functionality being greatly improved. Also, other features were thought out, like when you press the seat memory and let go it runs through the entire cycle until it rests at your setting. My XK you have to hold the button until it completes the cycle, this I find mildly annoying as my BMW had the single touch also.

Matter of fact, the BMW had the profile linked to your key, so if you had a his and hers key (my Wife's key is always in her purse), when you opened the door and it sensed your key it moved the seat to your memory setting. It also displayed the preset radio stations as a user profile, each his/her key had it's own set of preset stations.

Old 05-02-2016, 03:29 PM

I can agree with that, it has been over a year since my friend had that 5, I wish I could drive it right now to get a better side-by-side comparison untainted by time. What comes to mind is that the XF has better performance, but whether that is because I am driving it now I do not know! I like this XF very much, the Wife actually loves it, she is not as picky as I am on the details.

The Jag 4 wheel drive implementation sounds very smart. The other compliment I can give the XF is the screen and tech, it is MUCH better than the previous generation screen/tech in my XK. My screen is pretty dull, the XF screen is very bright and higher resolution along with the functionality being greatly improved. Also, other features were thought out, like when you press the seat memory and let go it runs through the entire cycle until it rests at your setting. My XK you have to hold the button until it completes the cycle, this I find mildly annoying as my BMW had the single touch also.

Matter of fact, the BMW had the profile linked to your key, so if you had a his and hers key (my Wife's key is always in her purse), when you opened the door and it sensed your key it moved the seat to your memory setting. It also displayed the preset radio stations as a user profile, each his/her key had it's own set of preset stations.
tampamark, I should have looked closer. I didn't realize that you were a minority American on this forum like myself.

I love to drive and I'm a techy. My three top priorities for this purchase were driving dynamics, technology and luxury. The AWD XF is the clear winner in the class imo when it comes to driving dynamics. And although your car's tech is an improvement over the last gen, I still don't think it ranks with iDrive or MMI. That's why I waited for the new InControl Pro system. I'm a bit concerned about some of the problems with the system's UK rollout, but my fingers are crossed. And finally, I compromised on the luxury side. Again, it's amazing to me to think that a Jag does not have the most beautiful interior, but my guess is that you know what I mean if you compare your XF to your old XK.

Old 05-02-2016, 04:56 PM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 240 Likes on 207 Posts

>it's amazing to me to think that a Jag does not have the most beautiful interior

Wonder if a portfolio edition will be coming? That might address things.
================================================
Jaguar - it's not an automobile, it's a Motorcar
Current Hers: '13 Lexus ES350
Current Mine: '08 S-Type 4.2 "Satin Edition" (250.06 whp / 259.67 torque)
Past Ours: '05 X-Type 3.0/auto Jaguar Racing Green

Old 05-02-2016, 08:11 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Injekter
OH.... lets just put this to bed with..... Acura is NOT a luxury vehicle...its a really nice Honda and it stops there... walk into a Jag, Merc, or Bmw showroom, and you go... i want that , and that , and one of those....Acura not so much..
Those that buy Euro cars are not into the Asian offering and usually vice versa. Say what you want, the RLX is a starting MSRP of $51k is right in the same financial pool as a BMW 5, Jag XF, Audi A6.

For that argument you can say that the Lexus is a Toyota and the Infiniti is a Nissan. True, yes, but for those that paid $50k or more for a GS or a Q50 may disagree!

Just because you declare it the case does not make it so. A sedan for $50k or more is what it is, luxury is in the eye of the beholder and a lot of people buy those Japanese brands.

tampamark, I should have looked closer. I didn't realize that you were a minority American on this forum like myself.

I love to drive and I'm a techy. My three top priorities for this purchase were driving dynamics, technology and luxury. The AWD XF is the clear winner in the class imo when it comes to driving dynamics. And although your car's tech is an improvement over the last gen, I still don't think it ranks with iDrive or MMI. That's why I waited for the new InControl Pro system. I'm a bit concerned about some of the problems with the system's UK rollout, but my fingers are crossed. And finally, I compromised on the luxury side. Again, it's amazing to me to think that a Jag does not have the most beautiful interior, but my guess is that you know what I mean if you compare your XF to your old XK.
Yeah, I have always been very techie. I knew going into my Jag that the tech would barely hold up against my First Gen Idrive. The new generation Idrive is very slick, more so than I want. I do not desire an internet connected car or text messages read to me from my car. I do like a fast and efficient interface that doesn't require pushing a lot of buttons to perform simple tasks. This less than modern tech is OK with me for now.

As far as my XK, even on a good day it is unfair to compare a car with an MSRP of $50k+ to one that has an MSRP of $90k+. I expect the interior and the performance at that price level to both be on the high end and got it. Even if I did buy it at a used discount...

Old 05-03-2016, 06:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 513 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by nlt624
But how often do old-timers buy a NEW Jaguar? If it was every 3-4years, Jaguar could pander to loyalist. But since it's not, they have to go after new buyers.
On the Facebook XF page, one person actually posted two videos made showing the quality of the previous and new XF. It's really eye opening. I can only imagine how the 2016 interior is going to age given how poorly it's fitted. He literally pushes, and pulls every panel and in the new, almost every single piece literally looks as if it could be pulled off. And squeaks, and rattles. The audio and climate knobs sound like a kids toy when turned. And the molded door cards and console/under dash sound like cheap plastic when tapped. One other thing, the door cards don't even cover the whole door as in the previous model. And it's really obvious if it's a light exterior and a dark interior. You can see the painted metal door between card and pillar when closed.
Almost without fail, the previous model had none of these issues. My 09 still has a tight, well assembled interior with no rattles or squeaks except in the windshield area where they replaced it, and it only happens when it's 40 degrees or lower out.
And did they really lower price? How can the imply it's lower for the same car as before when that lower priced model has SOO many previously standard items bumped off. Just doing the math, to replace my 09, with all the extras would be at least 8-10k more.
Finally, I'm a loyal Jaguar driver, from my first car, a 62 E-type and just about every single model since, I have no problem with the modern Jaguar direction. Love it actually, but I do have an issue with the seemingly new attempt not to compete and surpass while holding the Jaguar legacy as the highest standards, but to cave and cheapen and, frankly, mimic the styling and quality of the competition ( which is actually moving in the formerly Jaguar ruled arena of luxury interiors and detailing). And before someone says I wand planks of wood and cigar, let me say it's possible to have a MODERN luxury interior. The first XF did it beautifully!

The following users liked this post:
pkoko (05-06-2016)
Old 05-03-2016, 08:12 AM
Received 55 Likes on 31 Posts

philhef - YUP
rubbish interiors on all new gen. models. How can one go from XF Portfolio to this and not feel stupid after a short while??
I mean you sit in a car, it becomes your home away from home, and you do it on a daily basis for some years. They nailed the driving dynamics, and as a car enthusiast I am very impressed, but it's not enough for it to be called a Jag.
As I would not touch anything German, I'm in a quandary.
Am I going to be forced into an XJ when my lease is up??

Last edited by yidal8; 05-03-2016 at 08:21 AM.
Old 05-03-2016, 01:40 PM
Veteran Member

Here is another nit-picky complaint, but it was annoying enough that both my Wife and I have made note. Why is the drivers seat belt buckle receiver buried so far down, it is a royal pain to get it married. A major reach using the left hand and once you get twisted enough to push it in a knuckle scrapper on the cheap center console material.

Old 05-03-2016, 03:36 PM

Those that buy Euro cars are not into the Asian offering and usually vice versa. Say what you want, the RLX is a starting MSRP of $51k is right in the same financial pool as a BMW 5, Jag XF, Audi A6.

For that argument you can say that the Lexus is a Toyota and the Infiniti is a Nissan. True, yes, but for those that paid $50k or more for a GS or a Q50 may disagree!

Just because you declare it the case does not make it so. A sedan for $50k or more is what it is, luxury is in the eye of the beholder and a lot of people buy those Japanese brands.

Yeah, I have always been very techie. I knew going into my Jag that the tech would barely hold up against my First Gen Idrive. The new generation Idrive is very slick, more so than I want. I do not desire an internet connected car or text messages read to me from my car. I do like a fast and efficient interface that doesn't require pushing a lot of buttons to perform simple tasks. This less than modern tech is OK with me for now.

As far as my XK, even on a good day it is unfair to compare a car with an MSRP of $50k+ to one that has an MSRP of $90k+. I expect the interior and the performance at that price level to both be on the high end and got it. Even if I did buy it at a used discount...
sorry, i wasent aware that it was just the price tag that qualified it as a luxury car...i was just comparing cars... so an Acura TL is a luxury car..interesting and yes... Lexus is just a Toyota ; )....i guess my $74,000 Ford diesel truck qualifies as a luxury car too, by your stated definition

Old 05-03-2016, 08:32 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Injekter
sorry, i wasent aware that it was just the price tag that qualified it as a luxury car...i was just comparing cars... so an Acura TL is a luxury car..interesting and yes... Lexus is just a Toyota ; )....i guess my $74,000 Ford diesel truck qualifies as a luxury car too, by your stated definition
I never mentioned a TL. I said an RLX. The TL competes with a 3 series/XE/C class.

We are getting off topic. Read any review of an RLX and it is compared directly to BMW 5 series and Mercedes E class, but I don't care whether you think so or not, it is not my concern. It isn't directly compared to the XF but then nobody but Jaguar owners seem to be aware Jag is in existence anymore. Hence the very low sales volume and the reason they cheapened the XF interior in order to redirect to performance to sell more cars.

I am thinking Ford truck that is $74k could be a King Ranch? I know that my buddies $60k F150 King Ranch is pretty luxurious and a real sweet interior. I guess I will state the obvious since you asked, the answer is NO, your truck is not a luxury car and irrelevant to this discussion. Perhaps a luxury truck if it has luxury package. Like I said in my original post, "luxury is in the eye of the beholder", those that buy $100k cars think luxury is in their segment only. When someone saves their whole life and buys a 3 series decked out and runs in a crowd that can only afford a Scion then they are rolling in luxury.

And before you go the next step, a dump truck at $150,000 is not equivalent to a Maserati.

Last edited by tampamark; 05-04-2016 at 07:31 AM.
Old 05-03-2016, 08:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 426 Likes on 306 Posts

And before you go the next step, a dump truck at $150,000 is not equivalent to a Maserati.
That was funny!

Old 05-04-2016, 09:42 AM

HAHAHA isnt the XE just the new Xtype? entry level lower cost option to try and get some market share? as the XF replaced the S type . i think when considering what is luxury and what is not you also must factor in the builder and build quality... and Luxury car is only in the eye of the beholder really doesnt hold water....with that argument...anything and everything is a luxury car..or truck as it were... there is a certain minimal standard that would for the most part be widely accepted....these lines of coarse have become more blurred over time as all cars are coming out with more and more options at higher and higher prices.... so as stated i would look to build quality as well...big difference between a 80k dodge and an 80 k jaguar....just my own opinion,,, dont care to change yours..

Last edited by Injekter; 05-04-2016 at 09:48 AM.
Old 05-04-2016, 02:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any news if the 2017 will have any difference as far as interior. Or will it basically be the same as the 2016 except with the introduction of a diesel variant ?

Old 05-04-2016, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by jms515
Any news if the 2017 will have any difference as far as interior. Or will it basically be the same as the 2016 except with the introduction of a diesel variant ?
I've ordered a MY17 XF and have the 2017 pricing sheet and detailed order guide for the US.
  • The new 20d variants are now included.
  • The Tech Package with InControl Touch Pro and upgraded Meridian sound system is available for order.
  • Pricing has remained the same except that most of the package prices have increased by $100 each.
  • My specific vehicle spec lists a flat bottomed steering wheel as part of the S package, although it is not listed in the order guide. So that may be a new addition.
  • Nothing else has changed, at least at this point.

Old 05-04-2016, 06:58 PM

I've ordered a MY17 XF and have the 2017 pricing sheet and detailed order guide for the US.
  • The new 20d variants are now included.
  • The Tech Package with InControl Touch Pro and upgraded Meridian sound system is available for order.
  • Pricing has remained the same except that most of the package prices have increased by $100 each.
  • My specific vehicle spec lists a flat bottomed steering wheel as part of the S package, although it is not listed in the order guide. So that may be a new addition.
  • Nothing else has changed, at least at this point.
Thanks. Any info on where the 20d fits in as far as price, trim ? Or is it available across all levels.

I really like the Brogue interior but not sure if I want to go with the sport model.

Old 05-04-2016, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by jms515
Thanks. Any info on where the 20d fits in as far as price, trim ? Or is it available across all levels.

I really like the Brogue interior but not sure if I want to go with the sport model.
There are eight 20d models, four RWD and four AWD available as base, Premium, Prestige and R-Sport. The RWD models are priced at $48,445, $50,545, $55,195 and $59,295, respectively. AWD models are $3k more.

Brouge is available on the R-Sport models only.

The following users liked this post:
jms515 (05-04-2016)
Old 05-04-2016, 07:53 PM

There are eight 20d models, four RWD and four AWD available as base, Premium, Prestige and R-Sport. The RWD models are priced at $48,445, $50,545, $55,195 and $59,295, respectively. AWD models are $3k more.

Brouge is available on the R-Sport models only.
Are these prices only available through dealer or are they available online ?

Quick Reply: 2016 Jag XF Cheapened!