XF (X260) 2015 onwards

2016 XF ITC Updates Engine Light On

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 11:57 AM
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2016 XF ITC Updates Engine Light On

I have another thread where I described getting camera faults here or there, but only started happening the last couple of months. Well, last week I got the amber engine icon but the car was running fine. Called my dealer and it turns out there is an ITC patch for that. As a matter of fact, there are about 12 hours worth of updates due on my car even though I had the software updated to current last November. I live about 90 minutes away from my dealer in Annapolis MD, so I'm taking it at the end of this month. Luckily the car drives fine.

Being in the IT profession myself, I've been surprised at the amount of time these software updates take. We upgrade major enterprise software systems at big companies with less down time than that. Also strange that these bugs took so long to show up. They are going to give me a loaner so I can come back the next day but hopefully for them, these software updates don't use up a maintenance bay for that long. I'm guessing they wire in and move them off to the side somehow. I wonder if the time is because of bandwidth or it really takes that long to download patches and upgrade the system.

The one that "fixes" the engine light only takes thirty minutes, but while I'm over there, I'm stacking them on.
Hoping the updates will fix the camera fault as well. And it would be great if the clock kept time as well.

It would be nice if they pushed notices about updates and issues out to customers, recall style, so we don't panic when a "known issue" arises. I almost had a heart attack when I saw that engine light.

Old 09-18-2017, 12:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 338 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by uab9253
...I've been surprised at the amount of time these software updates take.......
+1 With all of my cars that required software updates the service advisors said it took "hours". We're not talking about regen on a mainframe here nor millions of lines of code. I just dropped my car off for its' first service/oil change etc. and it requires an update to the PCM module. I dropped it off at 8:00 AM and they wanted to give me a loaner "in case it takes more than a day"! Personally I think it's because the technicians do it literally "by the numbers"..... but I'd rather have that than a corrupted system.

Old 09-19-2017, 02:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi uab9253,

Where can i see what is the latest sofware release? And do you need to go to the dealer for a software upgrade? I mean, can it not be done with WIFI or USB?

Old 09-19-2017, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by niro
Hi uab9253,

Where can i see what is the latest sofware release? And do you need to go to the dealer for a software upgrade? I mean, can it not be done with WIFI or USB?
I'm not sure they share that info, hence my frustration and it would be great to be able to load them ourselves via wifi or even to a thumb drive but if it bricks the computer likely it would render the car useless. So better for it to be at the shop for updates

Old 09-20-2017, 02:12 AM
jbn
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Some information about updates is posted in TOPIx, the Jaguar Land Rover extranet. For Jaguar the link is https://topix.jaguar.jlrext.com/topix/index

Registration is free, and you can check your VIN to see original configuration data for your car. Very handy for second hand lookups. TOPIx will show you if there are outstanding campaigns for your car, though for the most part you have to pay to be able to read the documents. Owner's Manual is on a separate (though linked) site and is free to access.

While discussing JLR websites, there is also http://osh.jaguar.com for which you can register (free) to be able to view your online service history.

The following users liked this post:
uab9253 (09-22-2017)
Old 10-03-2017, 02:03 PM

Just an update - it turns out that in addition to the software updates, the car did return a code for a bad O2 sensor. So they had to order that and I'll get it today. Makes me wonder if the other three will go bad in succession since whatever dirtied up the one of them, surely passed through the other 3. I'm assuming one each in the aft and fore of the catalytic converter, with dual exhaust. It's covered but I'm 90 minutes away and that sounds like a drag.
In a related note, my loaner is a 2017 RR Evoque, and frankly, it's not that special. I know it's on the lower end of the range but still, I'm just meh. I think it has the four cylinder. The ICTP on it though, runs way faster than my car, so hoping the software makes my touch system as snappy as the one in the Evoque.

Old 10-04-2017, 07:39 AM

Final update - got the ITC software updated - all screen functions, and especially the control of my ipod in the console, run much faster. I can finally browse artists, albums and playlists in a quick way instead of waiting five seconds between each screen/button push. The backup camera "safety banner" now is more translucent and is only on the screen for 2 seconds instead of five.
Several recalls I got fixed were the sunglasses holder clip replacement, trunk seal replacement, gas pedal bracket replacement and they replaced some kind of Ozone hose that has a high failure rate. None of these were currently causing me any issues.
So I'm all caught up on recalls. The stiffer gas pedal took some getting used to but it's fine now.