XF (X260) 2015 onwards

Air Flow A circuit - Air Flow too high

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 07:02 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Post Air Flow A circuit - Air Flow too high

Hi there,

JAG XF 2011. 3 L Diesel. 118 000 kms on the clock.

The battery fault indicator came on intermittently even after a 1200 km holiday trip. The battery discharged. We replaced the battery.

Then the vehicle lost all electrical power. It was clear that the alternator had not charged up the new battery from replacement. The battery discharged completly over a few days. Complete black out of instruments. The only thing that worked was the windows. We charged the new battery up and took it to the dealers.

The dealers replaced the alternator.

Immediately thereafter the restricted performance message came up.

The codes that then came up were the following:

P00BD-07 – Mass or volume air flow A circuit range/performance – Air flow too high. “

P00BE07 –

P010B21 -

P0101 – Mass or volume air flow. Lower amplitude too low.

P0102 – Mass or volume air flow circuit malfunction.

P00AA17 – Unknown

Errors 7.

The air flow sensors have now both been replaced but code P00BD-07 is still present and it says "Restricted Performance'.

The fault P00BD-07 remains. The other faults don’t show up now.

To drive, there is no noise from the turbo although the turbo has been deactivated by the “performance restricted” mode anyway. There is no exhaust smell. No shuddering or backfiring. Engine seems normal but for restricted performance. Starts easily. Idles normally. Revs without unusual noise.

1. Air flow high on the intake side seems to me to suggest that there is a restricted air flow on the exhaust side or at least from the "out” side of the air intake.

2. If it was a leak in the airflow turbo system should that not indicate a " low pressure", rather than a high pressure.

3. Could any of the circuit malfunctions be electrical. Possibly caused whether battery/alternator failed?

4. Should I try a hard reset by disconnecting the battery and then shorting the positive negative connection to reset?

5. Could the fault be a blown electrical circuit when the alternator and battery were replaced? I expect that the circuits would be protected from accidental shorting during maintenance. But such a fault may surely bring up a false error or fail to reset the status.

Surely the high pressure faullt is caused be other faults that should also show up on daignostics. Unless it is a sensor reading or electrical circuit problem why are there no codes that pin point issues. P00BD cant be the only fault surely.

Hence my suggestion of a hard reset. But I am loath to try that.

PS - The car is due for a major service in 2000 km according to the message on the instrument panel. Could that cause a restricted performance fault?

The following users liked this post:
F1Virginia (07-24-2020)
Old 07-13-2020, 05:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default did you fix this issue?

I know you posted this a while back but am having similar problems with my 3l diesel x type too.

Did you fix the problem?

Old 07-13-2020, 11:05 PM
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Hi Lisa..
Sorry for your issue.

By his profile, Steve hasn't logged in since 4 minutes after his 1 and only post 2 & 1/2 years ago.

If he responds, lunch is on me.

While I checked the X-Type Forum, there's not many related posts on the issue he/you suffered.

While this is 2016+ XF Forum, we all hope to offer help.

1. Can you detail what your exact symptoms and problem histories are please?

2. Can you buy a $30 OBD Reader and tell us which DTC's it shows?

3. As far as forum searches, can you check the quality of your battery cables and ground?

4. And check for any blown fuses and gunk on your MAF?
Cheers!

Old 07-14-2020, 03:07 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by F1Virginia
Hi Lisa..
Sorry for your issue.

By his profile, Steve hasn't logged in since 4 minutes after his 1 and only post 2 & 1/2 years ago.

If he responds, lunch is on me.

While I checked the X-Type Forum, there's not many related posts on the issue he/you suffered.

While this is 2016+ XF Forum, we all hope to offer help.

1. Can you detail what your exact symptoms and problem histories are please?

2. Can you buy a $30 OBD Reader and tell us which DTC's it shows?

3. As far as forum searches, can you check the quality of your battery cables and ground?

4. And check for any blown fuses and gunk on your MAF?
Cheers!
Hi Lisa,

Sorry I took a few hours to reply but your email arrived 46 minutes after midnight local SA time. I would bump him for lunch for a week.

The symptoms suggested a failure of the turbo or the sensors themselves but it turned out to be an electrical issue.

The plugs for the right and left sensors are identical although the cables are slightly different lengths and should not normally be interchangeable.

Sadly, it was the Jag service agents themselves who switch the plugs while doing some work on the alternator. They had to drag the shorter cable over a different route to reach but they managed. Our regular Jag expert noticed it after scratching his head a while.

At first glance, the wiring looked normal but once they were replaced in the correct place a reconnected the problem went away. We escaped the quote of $5000 replace and repair of the turbo thankfully.

I am available if you would like me to take photos or haul out the job card.

Please let me know what happens.

Regards
Steve (from 4 years ago. Gee is has been long time.)

The following 2 users liked this post by Steve Mileman:
F1Virginia (07-24-2020), GGG (07-22-2020)
Old 07-22-2020, 02:38 AM
GGG
Received 16,798 Likes on 12,167 Posts

Originally Posted by F1Virginia
..... By his profile, Steve hasn't logged in since 4 minutes after his 1 and only post 2 & 1/2 years ago.

If he responds, lunch is on me. .....

Originally Posted by Steve Mileman
Hi Lisa,

Sorry I took a few hours to reply but your email arrived 46 minutes after midnight local SA time. ...... Steve (from 4 years ago. Gee is has been long time.)
I wasn't expecting that!

Graham

F1Virginia (07-24-2020)
Old 07-24-2020, 12:20 PM
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Lunch on me Lisa!
I'm in Richmond, Va but will Venmo or Zelle whatever you think fair..

Great to hear back from 2 years hence..
Love this forum!

Anxious to know if that fixes Lisa's issue?
Or what solution does..
Cheers all..

Last edited by F1Virginia; 07-24-2020 at 04:07 PM.
Old 08-23-2020, 03:11 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just had the alternator replaced but when the garage called me to tell me that it had been done, they informed me that the car was reporting fault P00BD-07 (and as a result was showing the orange engine management light, and was in "restricted performance" mode) and they wouldn't be able to look at it until next week!

After being without my car for a whole week whilst waiting for the alternator to be replaced, I picked up the car anyway in the hope that I could resolve it myself or take it to a garage that could look at it sooner.

So I spent a couple of hours dismantling/checking/cleaning/reassembling all the hoses/pipes/sensors/connectors between the air filter box and the "inlet manifolds", but still no joy.
Then I found this thread - swapped the two air flow connectors around - result!!!

Thank you!

F1Virginia (08-24-2020)
Old 10-21-2021, 05:50 AM
Default Memr

Hi Lisa,

Sorry I took a few hours to reply but your email arrived 46 minutes after midnight local SA time. I would bump him for lunch for a week.

The symptoms suggested a failure of the turbo or the sensors themselves but it turned out to be an electrical issue.

The plugs for the right and left sensors are identical although the cables are slightly different lengths and should not normally be interchangeable.

Sadly, it was the Jag service agents themselves who switch the plugs while doing some work on the alternator. They had to drag the shorter cable over a different route to reach but they managed. Our regular Jag expert noticed it after scratching his head a while.

At first glance, the wiring looked normal but once they were replaced in the correct place a reconnected the problem went away. We escaped the quote of $5000 replace and repair of the turbo thankfully.

Regards
I have that problem restricted preformed how you manage to fix it please?

Old 10-21-2021, 06:26 AM
Default Memr

Hi Lisa,

Regards
I have that problem restricted preformed how you manage to fix it please?