XF (X260) 2015 onwards

Back to Jaguar

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2017, 10:14 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Back to Jaguar

I owned a 2010 XF Premium and loved it but the build quality made me return to BMW.

However I am about to close the deal on a 2017 XF 35T R Sport. This car is a major step forward in technology, build quality and refinement.

Is there anything I should be looking at with these new post 2016 cars. They are quite different to the pre 2016 models with their aluminium structure and new engines. Particularly concerned to understand if there are any engine issues that have been observed. I specifically waited until the 2nd model year of the new design to make sure issues had been resolved.

I would love to hear from members of this forum with respect to anything they have observed, positive or negative about these cars.

Old 09-28-2017, 08:46 AM
Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Greetings from a fellow Austonian! That engine and the drive train is shared with my 2017 XE, and I feel you should be confident they are solid, both have been on the market for years...especially that six and eight cyl AJ engine designed by Porsche and built buy Ford. This is why Jaguar built the Project 8 on that engine, which is pushing over 800HP at the crank in the eight cylinder version.

The Jaguar built four cyl. turbo versions aren't nearly as great, from the reviews I've been reading.

If you like horsepower, later you can add a pulley and a tune to the 6cyl AJ for a couple grand, and it will reliably push around 450 HP....tons of fun! Or for $900.00 there is plug and play tune can get you to 416HP.

You will already be spinning your tires some with the standard 380HP tune, I assure you.

If you take delivery in the next week...watch out for the ACL traffic! https://www.aclfestival.com/

Last edited by Austin7; 09-28-2017 at 08:52 AM.
Old 09-28-2017, 12:53 PM
Received 178 Likes on 87 Posts

I will agree the build quality on the previous generation XF’s was lacking. My in-laws purchased a new 2011 and I have had numerous XF’s for loaners over the years. Nice car, but better competing choices. The new generation is definitely a step forward for Jaguar, although it misses in a few minor areas.

I have owned many BMW’ s in the past and have loved them. My last one was a 2012 535i which was completely trouble-free and one of my favorites. I will go out on a limb to say that the current generation XF is even better in almost every way. It doesn’t suffer turbo lag like the BMW, more precision steering with a better ride and handling. I seriously considered and test drove a few 2017 540i’s before deciding on the XF. A very nice car, but I prefer the looks of the XF. I am not a fan of the interior and exterior on the new 5 series. BMW’s are the norm in my area and for some reason, I have only seen one current model 5 series on the road this year. Maybe many others have the same opinion as me, not sure. Surprisingly, I have seen more new XF’s and even parked next to one identical to mine the other day.

I love the engine in my XF S, it is super smooth and powerful. Same engine in my F-Type, but much tamer with the same power. The only engine related issue I have had was a small water pump leak in the F-Type. It was easily replaced under warranty. Other than that, no other problems. I have been on the Jaguar forums for many years and cannot recall any complaints about engine problems that were not related to some sort of aftermarket tuning to increase performance. The Jaguar engines are solid and reliable, at least for me so far.

I posted my opinion on some pluses and minuses of the current X260 XF’s, in case you didn’t see it.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...tbrake-188495/

I hope my information is helpful

Old 09-28-2017, 11:49 PM

Thank you for your comments. They were very helpful.

I closed the deal today and will be taking delivery next week after our long weekend break in New Orleans.

I will share pictures and experiences.

Last edited by whitbyxf; 09-29-2017 at 02:31 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 10-03-2017, 03:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,217 Likes on 1,754 Posts

Just a note?
The Jaguar AJ engine was NOT developed by Porsche. It's a Jaguar design and yes Ford has built some of them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaguar_AJ-V8_engine

Old 10-03-2017, 06:59 PM

You are correct in that the AJ 26 was misreported by THE TIMES as a simply revamped Duratech, but Ford did underwrite all Jaguar Developments in that era..., and today's V8's and V6's are still completely built in a Ford owned plant...so... pretty much the same bedfellow engine -wise.

The AJ26 platform is a Jaguar Design based on a Ford Design based on "Primary Engineering" from a Porsche design. It even shared a couple parts from the Ford part Bin.

The contract For Ford production of all V6 and V8 runs through 2020, according to Jaguar. So it is STILL Ford that Owns and Operates the production facility for the V8 (aka v6), and this design has been around since 1996 when Ford first developed the first AJ26. ALL V8's (aka v6) will still be Ford-sourced. There is no second manufacturing facility anywhere in the world for this exact engine for Jaguar, so its all V8 and V6 Jag engines by Ford, not some of them.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-fo...KCN1C318X?il=0

Last edited by Austin7; 10-03-2017 at 08:00 PM.
Old 10-04-2017, 08:06 AM
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a 2011 XF Premium Portfolio and now a 2016 XF 35t Rsport. The new one feels and drives like the best pair of tennis shoes you've ever put on your feet. It is superior to the old model in almost every way. Great choice - you will love it!

Old 10-04-2017, 10:44 AM
Veteran Member

For a more complete background on the design of the Jaguar AJ V-8.
See the attached. Again NO Porsche involvement at all.

The real problem was Jaguar was broke when they designed it and could not afford to put it in production. Then Ford purchased them and with the co-development of the S Type and the Lincoln LS Ford decided to use the Jaguar design and put it into production with Ford manufacturing a lot of it.

I still have FoMoCo printed on some of the coolant hoses on my 2014 XJR.

Pretty interesting all the variations Jaguar looked at when doing the initial design.

Attached Files
File Type: doc
Jaguar AJ8 History.doc (260.0 KB, 58 views)
Old 10-17-2017, 12:25 PM

See picture of my new "cat".

Storm Grey. 35T R-Sport.

Attached Thumbnails Back to Jaguar-phryne.jpg  
Old 10-18-2017, 12:01 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well I just leased one the other day... Except it's a 2.0 Diesel. The deal on it was so ridiculous I couldn't say no, totally unexpected purchase.

We shall see... I have had them as loaners before and they are growing on me. This one is actually for mom, but my best friend also got one the same day, (Dealer had 2 left and lease on them was just stupidly cheap).

So far she is happy and so is he.

Pics shamelessly stolen from Jaguar Darien's website.

Attached Thumbnails Back to Jaguar-hcy429311.jpg   Back to Jaguar-hcy429317.jpg   Back to Jaguar-hcy429319.jpg  
Old 10-23-2017, 02:22 PM

Well things have not got off to a good start. The check engine light came on almost immediately after I took delivery. This is usually an emissions sensor fault.

Taking her immediately back to the dealership, they said that there were no faults showing, so reset it and gave her back to me. I drove away and the light came back on. This was 17 days ago.

Now I have to wait over 3 weeks from delivery to get it looked at properly. They tell me that it is OK to drive her, but I am reluctant to drive any car with a check engine light showing. So she sits in my garage awaiting the day I can take her in and get her fixed. Luckily I still have my BMW 428i GC to use.

I have to say that this does not bode well for either the car or my local dealership.

Old 10-23-2017, 02:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Isn't there is a Texas law that obligates dealer to take any car back within 30 days? 3 weeks out sounds like they are trying to run you past 30 days.

The following users liked this post:
whitbyxf (10-23-2017)
Old 10-23-2017, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by SinF
Isn't there is a Texas law that obligates dealer to take any car back within 30 days? 3 weeks out sounds like they are trying to run you past 30 days.
You may be right, but it will be 21 days since original delivery, so I have a little leeway. If they do not fix it at this service, then there will be serious discussions.

Last edited by whitbyxf; 10-23-2017 at 11:09 PM.
Old 10-24-2017, 02:35 AM
GGG
Received 16,768 Likes on 12,155 Posts

Originally Posted by whitbyxf
Well things have not got off to a good start. The check engine light came on almost immediately after I took delivery. This is usually an emissions sensor fault.

Taking her immediately back to the dealership, they said that there were no faults showing, so reset it and gave her back to me. I drove away and the light came back on. This was 17 days ago. ......
There are many DTC's which trigger the CEL. When it is lit there will be relevant error code(s) set.

However, spurious warning lights are also a common occurence where a vehicle has sat unused at a dealership without being on a battery tender for even a short period. Low or fluctuating voltage sends an out of range signal to a sensor and the fault process is triggered. It could be as simple as that.

Graham

Old 10-24-2017, 02:52 AM
Received 272 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by Austin7
The AJ26 platform is a Jaguar Design based on a Ford Design based on "Primary Engineering" from a Porsche design. It even shared a couple parts from the Ford part Bin.
The Ford Duratec V6 (2967cc in 3.0 litre form) in the S-Type, X350, Lincoln LS appear to go back to a basic design Porsche were working on but then shelved and sold on to Ford.

The current 3.0 V6 (2995cc) is a scaled down AJ V8.

Old 10-24-2017, 06:50 AM
Veteran Member

Again no. Porsche had nothing to do with Jaguar engine development.

If you are interested in how the AJ series of engines came to be this will help.
Please see the attached.

Yes Ford did and does build this engine for Jaguar as Ford use to own Jaguar 100%.

Attached Files
File Type: doc
Jaguar AJ8 History.doc (260.0 KB, 37 views)
Old 10-24-2017, 07:28 AM
Received 272 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Again no. Porsche had nothing to do with Jaguar engine development.
Big manufacturers rarely give any credit to other manufacturers if they can help it. The old late 1990s Ford Duratec V6s (AJ-V6), built in built in Ford's Cleveland, USA factory, used in Jaguars are a completely different engine from the real AJ engines and it is those Duratecs that seem to have been based on some Porsche design/input. Having a link to Porsche does not make that engine any better or worse, but there seems to be some evidence that Ford did somehow work with Porsche back then on these V6s. For example, have a look here:

Rebuilding the Ford 3.0L - Engine Builder Magazine

The later V6 AJ126 is a completely different engine and a Jaguar design built by Ford on their dedicated Jaguar line in Bridgend, Wales.

Old 10-25-2017, 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by GGG
There are many DTC's which trigger the CEL. When it is lit there will be relevant error code(s) set.

However, spurious warning lights are also a common occurence where a vehicle has sat unused at a dealership without being on a battery tender for even a short period. Low or fluctuating voltage sends an out of range signal to a sensor and the fault process is triggered. It could be as simple as that.

Graham
I hope you are correct. The first time they reset the check engine light they said there were no error codes. So I think a faulty sensor is the most likely problem. The car is to be investigated on Friday and I will let everyone know what they found.

Old 10-27-2017, 07:54 PM

I hope you are correct. The first time they reset the check engine light they said there were no error codes. So I think a faulty sensor is the most likely problem. The car is to be investigated on Friday and I will let everyone know what they found.
The engine knock sensor was faulty due to, and wait for this, a "rodent" having damaged the harness. Now, how did that happen? Repairing FOC (after some discussion) but I am now concerned about what else the "rodent" may have damaged.... This is a first for me.

Last edited by whitbyxf; 10-27-2017 at 08:15 PM.
Old 10-29-2017, 08:06 AM

The engine knock sensor was faulty due to, and wait for this, a "rodent" having damaged the harness. Now, how did that happen?
I've seen rodent damage on older cars where the cars have been sitting and the little critters nest in the engine compartment, but never on a new car. Maybe the jaguar insulation tastes like peanut butter?

Jaguars are delicious, evidently.