XF (X260) 2015 onwards

Car back from dealer today - FAIL

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2016, 11:21 AM
DPK
Veteran Member
Received 529 Likes on 389 Posts

Originally Posted by yntski
No I have the 3.0L gas model with 380 HP.
That's even better IMO..strange that the article I quoted said AWD is ONLY mated with a diesel..

Old 06-22-2016, 11:23 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DPK
That's even better IMO..strange that the article I quoted said AWD is ONLY mated with a diesel..
380 HP 3.0-LITER SUPERCHARGED V6 ENGINE
Shared with the Jaguar F-TYPE S, the 380 hp 3.0-Liter supercharged V6 engine in the XF S is capable of 0-60 mph in 5.3 seconds.3 This all-aluminum engine delivers instant access to high levels of torque at all speeds, and a unique soundtrack. Available in either RWD or AWD.

Direct from JaguarUSA.com website.

Old 06-22-2016, 11:24 AM
DPK
Veteran Member

Cool Beans!..Thanks for the clarification...

Hope they get your noise fixed so you can enjoy your new car.

Last edited by DPK; 06-22-2016 at 11:27 AM.
The following users liked this post:
yntski (06-22-2016)
Old 06-25-2016, 01:43 PM
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

No I have the 3.0L gas model with 380 HP.
This maybe a far stretch but here are the small rattles that I found:

The right side of the hood was not adjusted properly. The rubber snubbers that are in the hood itself can be adjusted up or down by simply turning them in or out so that corrected one.

The lovers in the sides of the fenders rattle a bit. No screws to tighten but can be eliminated with a small sliced piece of rubber from an old shoe sole. Unseen but no more rattle.

Good luck finding it. I find rattles bother me more than major defects!

Old 06-25-2016, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Magnumforc

The right side of the hood was not adjusted properly. The rubber snubbers that are in the hood itself can be adjusted up or down by simply turning them in or out so that corrected one.

The lovers in the sides of the fenders rattle a bit. No screws to tighten but can be eliminated with a small sliced piece of rubber from an old shoe sole. Unseen but no more rattle.

Thanks, I'll make note of it. The car is still with the dealer (since Tuesday). The only good thing out of all this that they are not giving up. I did have to get a little upset on Thursday as they were only working on my car for an hour or hour and a half (as seen by Remote App). Friday I noticed that they spent a good portion of the day on it and even went into after 6:00 which is closing for service.

They think they have narrowed it down to the lower right kick panel area and they are hoping to get my car back to me by early next week.

When do I start to not being so nice about this?

Old 06-25-2016, 03:55 PM

Thanks, I'll make note of it. The car is still with the dealer (since Tuesday). The only good thing out of all this that they are not giving up. I did have to get a little upset on Thursday as they were only working on my car for an hour or hour and a half (as seen by Remote App). Friday I noticed that they spent a good portion of the day on it and even went into after 6:00 which is closing for service.

They think they have narrowed it down to the lower right kick panel area and they are hoping to get my car back to me by early next week.

When do I start to not being so nice about this?
My spouse scares the dickens outta the dealers. She raised so much Cain when her BMW had issues that the dealer never wanted to mess with her again. LOL. Irish redhead...imagine!

If you have a nice loaner I guess it is not too bad. But I empathize with you having a new vehicle at the dealers for any extended time. Yell and scream if it's nor back soon. It shouldn't take days and days to find a rattle if they really look. That is part of my issue with dealers, you take your vehicle in at 0800 so they can get right to work on it and it sits all day!

My Dad had a new Ford and it was apparently built just about the time they went on strike. The dealer found the rattle okay, a Coke bottle in the right front door. Dealer also stated one car was found marbles with in the door, rolling back and forth. Guess that was another strike car. Ouch!

Old 06-25-2016, 04:08 PM

My spouse scares the dickens outta the dealers. She raised so much Cain when her BMW had issues that the dealer never wanted to mess with her again. LOL. Irish redhead...imagine!

If you have a nice loaner I guess it is not too bad. But I empathize with you having a new vehicle at the dealers for any extended time. Yell and scream if it's nor back soon. It shouldn't take days and days to find a rattle if they really look. That is part of my issue with dealers, you take your vehicle in at 0800 so they can get right to work on it and it sits all day!
My loaner is a XJ. I am not thrilled with it. It is too old and too big. I feel like I am driving my granny's car.

Yes, I too tend to scare the dickens out of people when things are not done correctly or timely but I am really trying to keep my cool and not be known as the "crazy lady" as I figure I need to have a cordial relationship with the service dept. I figure once they hand me back my car (hopefully in perfect condition) I plan on stopping by with 3 or so dozen of donuts to thank them for putting up with the "crazy lady". LOL

Last edited by yntski; 06-25-2016 at 04:11 PM.
Old 06-26-2016, 09:43 AM

My loaner is a XJ. I am not thrilled with it. It is too old and too big. I feel like I am driving my granny's car.

Yes, I too tend to scare the dickens out of people when things are not done correctly or timely but I am really trying to keep my cool and not be known as the "crazy lady" as I figure I need to have a cordial relationship with the service dept. I figure once they hand me back my car (hopefully in perfect condition) I plan on stopping by with 3 or so dozen of donuts to thank them for putting up with the "crazy lady". LOL
Found this on another forum for the new F Type. Maybe you have a similar problem?

"I have only owned this car for a month and it has been in the shop twice, once for speaker rattling in the passenger door which apparently is a known problem and they haven't fixed it"

yntski (06-26-2016)
Old 06-28-2016, 09:06 PM

Found this on another forum for the new F Type. Maybe you have a similar problem?

"I have only owned this car for a month and it has been in the shop twice, once for speaker rattling in the passenger door which apparently is a known problem and they haven't fixed it"
Do you know or could you find out what sound system they have (380 watts or 825 watts).

The dealer had my car in for a week, said they found the issue. Thought it was the passenger kick panel area. When we took it for a test drive before closing out the work order both the service rep and service manager acknowledged the rattle still existed.

When we got home, obviously frustrated we took the car for a test drive. my husband reversed himself and put his head in the floor board and had his feet up near the head rest. When he put pressure on the speaker the sound was not as bad.

Going to inform dealer when we take the car back in next Tuesday as with the holiday weekend coming up we both didn't want it there that long. Besides I planned a driving trip up the coast of California because of the new car. So I guess we'll just play the music a little louder.

Old 06-28-2016, 11:00 PM

Do you know or could you find out what sound system they have (380 watts or 825 watts).

The dealer had my car in for a week, said they found the issue. Thought it was the passenger kick panel area. When we took it for a test drive before closing out the work order both the service rep and service manager acknowledged the rattle still existed.

When we got home, obviously frustrated we took the car for a test drive. my husband reversed himself and put his head in the floor board and had his feet up near the head rest. When he put pressure on the speaker the sound was not as bad.

Going to inform dealer when we take the car back in next Tuesday as with the holiday weekend coming up we both didn't want it there that long. Besides I planned a driving trip up the coast of California because of the new car. So I guess we'll just play the music a little louder.
Enjoy the ride. We live a few blocks from PCH so it is always a nice drive, save for the freeway between coastal stretches.

Hope the noise is solved. A speaker could easily be the issue. Kick up the volume, up the bass and enjoy the ride?

yntski (06-29-2016)
Old 07-05-2016, 06:45 PM
DPK
Veteran Member

Westlake man has one of the highest credit scores in the entire country, 848 out of 850

WESTLAKE, Ohio -- Tom Pavelka has a nice 3,000-square-foot home in Westlake, a good government job, two British sports cars and an adoring wife of 25 years.

But he has one more thing that most people would really, really love to have: a credit score that is higher than almost everyone else in the country.

Pavelka, 56, has a credit score of 848 out of 850. The letter he got from the credit bureau recently said his score "ranks higher than 100 percent of U.S. consumers."

That makes Pavelka a financial anomaly.

While an 848 isn't a perfect score, it's as high as most experts have ever seen.

Old 07-05-2016, 10:42 PM

That makes him eligible to walk in and buy most any vehicle with zero down IF his income supports it. Bought numerous cars that way and you are right, high credit scores make you a wanted commodity at almost anywhere.

Sadly, even if you are a cash buyer, with a bank check, with your credit reports frozen, the idiot dealer always sends you in for a credit check. They tell you it is required under the Patriot Act which is bull. The only time that is required is if you actually peel off cash bills and hand them in. Dealers get a "spiff" for every referral to a bank, regardless of the buyer ever goes there or not. The "spiff" is bigger if they get you to take out a loan.

So you get a credit inquiry, a letter that says you did not obtain credit or they were unable to verify your credit (because the accounts have a security freeze on them) and could get that from two or three financial providers if the dealer submits the requests.

Old 07-06-2016, 05:03 PM

Well car is back in the dealer for a third time (12th day in total).

I pointed out one of the lovers (or I call vents) on the fender was lose. They drove the car with the lose lover remove and heard no sound. Which I wouldn't have ever checked if it wasn't for your suggestion. Thanks.

They ordered a new one yesterday and waiting for the part to arrive. I am hoping this is fixes the problems.

I have been in touch with corporate several times (they responded to a survery I sent in).

Told her the dealer is trying to help but very frustrated that I have had my car a month and it's been in the shop for 12 days. Told her the dealer is paying for Luxury Mats that I wanted and I also wanted front and back splash guards so they are paying for them as well. She offered to reimbursement me for my first month's payment as compensation so I will take her up on that offer.

Does no good unless I have my car back with no rattle. And I agree rattles bother me more than mechanical issues.

Last edited by yntski; 07-06-2016 at 05:25 PM.
Old 07-06-2016, 11:25 PM

Call from dealer. Issue still exists. He is now calling it a clicking from the front passenger fender area. 13th day tomorrow and now they decide to open a TA ticket and get a Service Tech Engineer out to look at my car.

I am holding my breath. The only good thing is that they haven't give up . . . YET.

Old 07-07-2016, 04:52 AM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Dealer on a scale of 1-10

It's so true.
The last person you deal with from a company is how you
feel about the whole company.
In reading these reports on what some have gone through,
On a scale of 1-10 Jag Dealerships are all over the place.
10 being high. I give my guy's a 10. I never know they worked on the car.
They have been in the dash, overhead-- you would never know it.
And most important, they fix it the first time.
Only once I had to return for the GPS a most difficult trouble.
Change Dealerships and see what happens.

Old 07-07-2016, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by Pa.Bill
It's so true.
The last person you deal with from a company is how you
feel about the whole company.
In reading these reports on what some have gone through,
On a scale of 1-10 Jag Dealerships are all over the place.
10 being high. I give my guy's a 10. I never know they worked on the car.
They have been in the dash, overhead-- you would never know it.
And most important, they fix it the first time.
Only once I had to return for the GPS a most difficult trouble.
Change Dealerships and see what happens.

Yes, I plan on doing that once the current dealer says they don't know what to do. I just don't want to start over and in the beginning the ticking sound was all the time . . . now it is only when it sits out in the extreme heat and sun.

Does a new dealership have access to what work the original dealership has already done.

If I take in to another dealership it would be in service for a 4th time for the same issue and I know with CA Lemon Law I can attempt to Jaguar buy back the vehicle. But I am not at that point yet. Corporate has been in touch with me but I don't know how much good that is doing as it seems all she is doing is being a liaison between the dealership and myself

Ugh!!!!!!

Old 07-07-2016, 11:03 AM

I had hoped the vent/louver issue would have solved the problem as you noted the dealer said the noise was apparently gone? Hmm..did they check the hood adjustment? If the hood rattles when you drive over uneven pavement it would make the sound appear to be from the fender. My passenger side was off about 3 full turns on the rubber snubber.

I empathize with you on these issues. I had a Camaro convertible that was in to the dealer 28 times and had 4 different convertible tops on it until I said NO More! Could not stand the leaks and the last one was put in without the thick plastic runners under the fabric so the metal frame poked through the top the first time I drove it...on the way home no less! Chevrolet bought it back and gave me a super deal on a replacement vehicle.

Go with the lemon law if you need to. Be aware that many companies want you to go through the BBB and arbitrate the claim but hopefully with all your lost time with the new CAT, they will cut you a deal.

Just be careful that any incentive they give you is not considered a settlement. I am jaded; being an investigator I have little faith in most anything.

Old 07-07-2016, 11:52 AM

No, I didn't suggest the hood adjustment but I might. With the vent issue they apparently test drove without the vent and because it cooler in the morning the noise was gone.

Yes, I have been through the Lemon Law process twice. Once I had just written a letter and after some time Ford bought back the car. The other time I had to go through the BBB Arbitration and Nissan was ordered to buy back my vehicle. Both times I went with another make/model. Probably will do the same again. I little jaded with Jaguar at the moment.

I do work for attorneys and without signing a release nothing is considered a settlement. But I will be cautious if Corp comes through with their offer to reimburse me for my first month's payment.

Thanks.

Old 07-07-2016, 12:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 167 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by MellieR
The car is 2 months old and looks like it's 5 yrs old on that one panel (it's probably not that bad, I'm sure it's worse in my mind).
This is why I only buy 5 y.o. cars that look like 2 months old.

Seriously, my local dealer (Rusnak Jaguar of Pasadena) always washed and cleaned my car spotless the few times I took it there, even after a $50 oil change and even though I didn't buy the car from them. I'm surprised not all luxury car dealers do that.

Old 07-07-2016, 01:01 PM

No, I didn't suggest the hood adjustment but I might. With the vent issue they apparently test drove without the vent and because it cooler in the morning the noise was gone.

Yes, I have been through the Lemon Law process twice. Once I had just written a letter and after some time Ford bought back the car. The other time I had to go through the BBB Arbitration and Nissan was ordered to buy back my vehicle. Both times I went with another make/model. Probably will do the same again. I little jaded with Jaguar at the moment.

I do work for attorneys and without signing a release nothing is considered a settlement. But I will be cautious if Corp comes through with their offer to reimburse me for my first month's payment.

Thanks.
On my drive yesterday I noted some unusual very small clicks and pops while sitting in the hot sun (85+ degrees.) I wonder if the expansion differential between the glass sunroof and the metal has anything to do with that. But nothing to worry about, just an observation.

Quick Reply: Car back from dealer today - FAIL