XF (X260) 2015 onwards

Car back from dealer today - FAIL

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2016, 05:38 PM
Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Car back from dealer today - FAIL

Dropped my car (2016 XF) off two days ago for a rattle. Picked it up today. Was irritated when I got in as there were fingerprints all over the center console ("all over" is a bit of an exaggeration but was more than one). I dropped off the car spotless. I told myself I was being a "Jag-off" and didn't make a peep - the center panel IS a bi-otch to keep clean. Then I drive down the road. And noticed fingerprints everywhere (not an exaggeration). I know they probably pressed on panels, etc to find the source but, WTF! Wear gloves or wash your hands. Not okay in my book. At all.

They had to remove the B pillar. I'm not quite sure what they did to it but it's got scratches all over it now. Nothing deep but they are there. So, once I got home, I gave the interior a cleaning. This helped me calm down a bit but I'm still torqued. The car is 2 months old and looks like it's 5 yrs old on that one panel (it's probably not that bad, I'm sure it's worse in my mind).

So, I figured I still needed some time to calm down and waited until after I knew they had closed to leave a VM for the service manager to call me as I had some concerns. Hopefully, our upcoming conversation will be productive with the extra time. But, I'm torn with what to ask for. Asking for a total panel replacement seems petty somehow. But I'm not sure a simple apology will help each time I see the scratches. Not sure that anyone here will have the answer for me of course but I needed to vent. And, what do I do next time my car needs service? Ugh!

Old 06-03-2016, 06:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 593 Likes on 470 Posts

I think once you have made them replace the damaged pannal , and vented at them about the time spent cleaning up after there incompetence ,
Then thay should learn from it and treat you & your car
With more respect and care ! If not the find some were else to get your work done .
We're not dealing with a cheep Honda Civic here , and wots more I'm sure a Honda dealer would not show this leval of negect . I'd Bone them hard over it .
Any damage is to much damage !

Old 06-03-2016, 06:10 PM
Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

That is bad. The dealers here in the UK clean the cars inside and out when they service them. My car was 2.5 years old when I bought it and when I had a small problem that was fixed under warranty the car was spotless inside and out when I picked it up. I hope you took photos before cleaning.
Wish you luck.

Roger

Old 06-03-2016, 08:36 PM
Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes, I expected it to be clean as well.

I did clean it without taking photos first but I will be surprised if they give me a hard time about that.

My bigger issue will be pushing for a new panel. I don't have kids or even passengers (why do I have a 4 door car???) for them to blame and it is only two months old but I don't want my "particular-ness" to get me labeled two months into our relationship.

Old 06-09-2016, 08:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MellieR
Yes, I expected it to be clean as well.

I did clean it without taking photos first but I will be surprised if they give me a hard time about that.

My bigger issue will be pushing for a new panel. I don't have kids or even passengers (why do I have a 4 door car???) for them to blame and it is only two months old but I don't want my "particular-ness" to get me labeled two months into our relationship.

After making your concerns known I would allow them to offer a solution...while a new panel may be pushing it...you can also express how that gesture would be the ultimate in customer service. But be willing to accept a discount on a future service as well...I understand you don't want to **** off the service dept if you'll be using them for service. I actually have a placard I place in my car that says "Do Not Wash"...I'm more comfortable doing that myself...good luck I'm sure it'll work out!!

Old 06-09-2016, 11:20 AM
DPK
Veteran Member
Received 529 Likes on 389 Posts

If you don't address the issue now time will be on their side..But you should be getting a Jaguar Service survey in your Email soon...

Take this opportunity to nail them with ALL your concerns and issues..They want a top exceptional survey or they get hammered by Jaguar corporate and the service manager's *** is on the line...

My dealer treats my car with white glove service...They ALL should do the same..I don't care where your dealer is located.

Stand your ground.

Old 06-10-2016, 06:49 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

That is a shame.
The people who work on my car- I ever know they were there.
I keep it clean , inside and out.
But when I get it back it looks like they polished it.
They clean every car before they return them -- very nice
Jaguar / Land Rover Harrisburg Pa.

Old 06-17-2016, 12:23 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Did you ever find what the rattle sound was. I have one coming from my front passenger's seat area. I have the car at the dealer now. It's been there since yesterday. I notice (through the Jaguar Remote app) that they didn't even start looking at it until after lunch time. I called yesterday before I left work and told them I assumed they would not have the car finished. I called this morning to tell them I need the car back today as I have an appointment at 8:00 to have the windows tinted. I have been observing the Remote app and noticed they have been working on it all morning. Just wondering maybe it's the same rattle and I can give them a hint where to look.

And hopfully I get it back in better condition then you did. My car isn't even 2 weeks old yet.

Edit: Got car back. No sound. Found rattle was in the headliner. Car back in pristine condition. Woo Hoo!

Last edited by yntski; 06-17-2016 at 09:06 PM.
The following users liked this post:
sorapp (11-19-2018)
Old 06-18-2016, 12:56 PM

Bummer drove car today and the rattle is still there. :-(

Old 06-19-2016, 06:46 PM
DPK
Veteran Member

My car isn't even 2 weeks old yet.
Just wondering..Since the car is only two weeks old as you said,,,didn't you notice the rattle when you test drove it?..I always take the sales manager for a ride in the car before I sign the papers..

Old 06-20-2016, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by DPK
Just wondering..Since the car is only two weeks old as you said,,,didn't you notice the rattle when you test drove it?..I always take the sales manager for a ride in the car before I sign the papers..
Yes, we test drove it, especially since I originally thought I was getting a 2016. We didn't notice a rattle, if so I would never had taken delivery of the vehicle until is wasn't there. Then again there were 3 people in the car, talking, music playing, air conditioner on. The rattle can be heard when there is no noise in the cabin.

I have an appointment for the car to go back into the dealership tomorrow. Crossing my fingers.

Old 06-20-2016, 11:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

May sound like a strange question - are you sure it's not the passenger seatbelt? I have an older model XF and on that - turns out if you don't put the seatbelt flat against the seat it rattles on the plastic of the B pillar. Someone else had a similar rattle recently on the forum - I mentioned this and it was the fix

Old 06-20-2016, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by BritCars
May sound like a strange question - are you sure it's not the passenger seatbelt? I have an older model XF and on that - turns out if you don't put the seatbelt flat against the seat it rattles on the plastic of the B pillar. Someone else had a similar rattle recently on the forum - I mentioned this and it was the fix
It was one of the first things I checked. Besides the rattle is there even when a passenger is in the seat with the seat belt buckled.

Thanks for the suggestion. Any others would be appreciated.

Old 06-21-2016, 05:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 205 Likes on 188 Posts

i never expect the car to be spotless, but i DO expect the car to not be worse than the condition i leave it at.

if its like one thing, i'd let it slide...but if you notice a bunch of issues, I would bring it up immediately. 24 hours is your window of opportunity, the quicker the better, but anything after that then they give you the run around

Old 06-22-2016, 09:34 AM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 240 Likes on 207 Posts

Do you know where the sound is coming from? I think you need to go for a drive with a friend with good ears and drive around until the noise become steady and then find out exactly where it is coming from.

Unfortunate, but I can't think of any other way out...
================================================
Jaguar - it's not an automobile, it's a Motorcar
2015 JCNA National Slalom Champion Class M
Current: '08 S-Type 4.2 "Satin Edition" (250.06 whp / 259.67 torque)
Past: '05 X-Type 3.0/auto Jaguar Racing Green

Old 06-22-2016, 11:05 AM
DPK
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by pab
Do you know where the sound is coming from? I think you need to go for a drive with a friend with good ears and drive around until the noise become steady and then find out exactly where it is coming from.

Good Idea..but you sit in the passenger seat while the wifey drives..and you listen for it, so as to be not distracted by driving too.

Old 06-22-2016, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by pab

We did that on Sunday for a short time. But with only 500 miles on the car I don't think I should have to do that. Besides we can't take thinga apart to tighten any thing that may be rattling.

The car is at the dealer for a second time right now. They are working on it for the second day. The funny thing is I know that they didn't start working on it until 3:30 yesterday as I was watching my remote app and looking at the activity on the fuel/mileage levels. It's now 9:00 in the morning and it hasn't been touched since they stopped working on it at 5:00 last night.

I am not taking it back out of service until they have said they found/fix the rattle and I have verified it before having them close out the work order.

So frustating takes the whole enjoyment out of a new car purchase.

Old 06-22-2016, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by DPK
Good Idea..but you sit in the passenger seat while the wifey drives..and you listen for it, so as to be not distracted by driving too.
I am the wifey. LOL. So my hubby needs to drive while I sit in the passenger seat.

Old 06-22-2016, 11:14 AM
DPK
Veteran Member

I am the wifey. LOL.
Oops! sorry for making the assumption

Hey Ski...I was looking on line to see what comes with your model and it said only 2.0L diesels are issued with AWD..is your's a diesel?

Last edited by DPK; 06-22-2016 at 11:19 AM.
Old 06-22-2016, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by DPK
Hey Ski...I was looking on line to see what comes with your model and it said only 2.0L diesels are issued with AWD..is your's a diesel?
No I have the 3.0L gas model with 380 HP.

Quick Reply: Car back from dealer today - FAIL